0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    And for the Thomas Cup, here are the past winners;

* INA.........13 times
    * CHN.........8 times
    * MAS.........5 times

DEN were often close to win once. They were 8 times runners-up.
    thanks chris

as i mentioned in team event there is less chance for european players

and i won't be surprise the only european country ever came close to winning was denmark!

for individual event, again i won't be surprise but this time, if it is won by players from european countries

btw, i totally missed out the japanese ladies being one of the uber cup winners before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the main difference lie in the training system? China can produce so many world class players because China has a very strict and systematic training system for their players. Maybe Europe countries can import more coaches from Asia ?
    http://www.badmintonclip.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me, an asian student in europe, the main thing is the mentality and view of badminton...most asian countries take so seriously even make baddy as 2nd most popular sport after football and become a LIFESTYLE and addiction...
    european baddy sportmen play for me personally very rigid...less smoothness and flair...it all about technical except denmark...
    if a beginner want to start playing here in europe they MUST learn the techniqeus first unlike in asian they just play to hit the birdie with flair, and then learn the theniques along the way...
    but who knows, if the supreme power of badminton will change the course....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but it's interesting in that even amongst asian countries, the training and playing styles are vastly diff. i think CHN are strict and prob somehow that stymies the creativity or the cohesiveness, but they have never really been men's doubles superpower like INA or KOR. (women's is a diff game - CHN women are just physically more dominant than other countries as far as strength, conditioning, and stamina)
    sure, you can try to make a case for caiyun-fhf. but i think that particular partnership was once in a lifetime kind of deal. CHN just happens to combine a shuttler with superfast smashes with a spectaular net player. its very rare to see those combinations anywhere. MAS was also lucky to have found that in tbh (smash) + kkk (net). KOR and INA seems to always able to produce the creativity and teamwork amongst their men's doubles teams.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most important thing is the popularity - in European countries, badminton is more of a hobby sport, which you play once in a while with your kids, much like...bowling, or pool. Many think there's no real skill involved and that you don't need to be very athletic to be good at it.
    In Asia, badminton is amongst the, if not THE most popular sport. It's kinda like soccer in Germany - nearly everyone has played it for a few years in a club. So, these countries have many ppl to select from, which helps a great deal in increasing the quality of top players. The training standards are way different, and the quality of sparring partner is also higher. In Europe, you can't really earn much money with badminton, as there are only few players at top levels who get funded sufficiently - so nearly all players have to split focus between education/jobs and badminton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2