Tomorrow...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by flipinese_azn, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flipinese_azn

flipinese_azn Regular Member

none
    Tomorrow is my first mixed game in our city tournament, i have a slight problem...my partner and I have only been working together for about a month or even less...and we have not yet established a good technique or form, we both are intermediate players and I am a player that is an all around player who runs for every shot whether or not i get it or not...(its worth a try) i have lots of stamina that i have been working on for the past 3 months...my partner on the other hand is a good player, her problem is that she is the kind of person that is a pilon on the court and tends to stand there and occasionally run for it if its close enough...now we all know the other team will pick on that fault...and she always tends to be in the back because of fear in the front due to smashes...i need some suggestions or help...thanks!:)

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You can try making pretty good shots so that your opposition doesnt get a chance to smash. You may also want to try to keep her in the front regardless of her fear. And to watch where you hit the bird so she knows if you clear or not so she can get ready to side-side. Then when all is fine, continue to be on the offensive and play front-back...im a lower intermediate player so my advice isnt much of any help.

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Well, tell her to push the girl to the back if she can and to her backhand if possible and then take advantage of any poor backhand net shots. Your partner shouldn't be afraid of smashes because you should be side by side when the bird is up right.

If the girl is recieving serve, serve it high to push her to the back and force her to pop it up or do a net shot.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Enjoy the game and don't take losing so seriously (if you do lose, that is).;)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Errr... Not trying to pick on ur partner, however, if she does not run, and stay in the back, how could she cover the back court? Then, how could she be "good"?

I am not saying my strategy is the best, but I assume she's kinda player with good eye sight, quick hand, and fast response. Therefore, she's more suitable to stay in the front to be more effective.

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Re: Re: Tomorrow...

Man, I found it really hard to tell a girl to play front while you play back. Most of the girls I play with are actually my friend and I don't want to sound like a rather harsh person. :/

7. flipinese_azn

none
    Re: Re: Re: Tomorrow...

THERE! that is my problem...exactly...i dont want to sound mean or anything...and i dont wanna sound bossy either...and i dont wanna bring her ego or anything down...i just try and get myself back before she does...hmm...i need a girls help

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: Tomorrow...

Well, I can see what u mean.

I am not talking about screaming at her during match. If she really wants to win, then, the 2 partners have to come up with the best strategy to fit for the group.

To me, regular practice/social game with friends and tourny are different. For regular social games, sure, I will take it easy, and let girls do what they feel more comfortable with.

However, for tourny, especially for new pairs, we don't have tons of time to "take it easy". It's more like, if we are serious about this, practice, try to utlized each other. It might force each other to do sometihng used NOT do, but well, team first. If just forget about everything, never say anything "a little bit" harsh between partners, why even bother to participate then. Plus, I am sure if a girl is good enough for tourny, she's surely not a pure beginer, and she should understand her game and try to improve it.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Tomorrow...

Double is about the team, but a 1-man show. Yeah, maybe u r quick enough, but at least, u should still let her know the better formation, and make sure at least, she won't block ur way... Still, ur opponent will easily find this problem, and just let u 2 mess up "internally", if u won't come up with a better solution.

A friendly discussion off court should not establish a "bully / tough guy" image for u.

10. flipinese_azn

none
    yes...those r all good solutions...but for my partner...i find it hard to communicate to her...its hard its like i tell her and she gives me this look hahaha and i try and let her do wut she wants...on the other hand..trying to be a little more aggressive might help...and i know that an off court discussion can help too...i hope we do good tomorrow...wish us luck :confused:

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Best of luck, flipinese_azn...

However, if u really find there exists such a big problem with "communcation" between u and her. For a long run, maybe go for another partner?

12. flipinese_azn

none
    thanks lazybuddy...

yea..i think i can try and tell her...and get my point accross, and going with another partner is a reasonable solution, although i rather stick with my present partner...i bet she'll work herself if it comes to it, and we cant switch in school teams...all in all i trust her and im putting all my hope into her...we'll see if it works...i'll give feedback tomorrow...thanks for all your help guys

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's sooo nice of u to trust ur partner.

Print out this entire thread, and she will surely understand u r the one wants to win and really nice for ur partner. (Is she pretty??? Ok, cut cut cut... :D )

Well, she will surely hate me if she reads the print out... ai... :eek:

Best of luck again!!!

14. flipinese_azn

none
    hahaha yea...printing this out might make her mad or disappointed...haha dont want that...maybe just the last part LOL...haha yeah well...i think shes pretty...in fact thats another reason i dont wanna be mean to her...if u catch my drift hahaha yea...well thanks again! :D

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Geeeeezzzzz.... This thread will be rated "R" soon... :D

16. flipinese_azn

none
    haha..alright im back! and we won..with great ease...and my partner did great :D
    (note: all gmaes r best of 3)

our first game was
    15-1
    15-3

second was
    15-0
    15-4

ahaha after all...we did good but the other team wasn't so good...i dont mean to be cocky or anything but it was playing with little babies...ahaha but on thursday is our next game...i hear they're good...and btw thanks for all the advice!
    :)

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Wow... congrats... Amazing...

Maybe I was over-worried about ur partner... hmm... :D

The score looks similar to my old ones, but I was always the "receiving end"... :eek: :(

18. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Hmmmm, now I recall why I got into mixed doubles in the first place! :p One would be amazed at how many shots I missed due to the fact I was looking at my partner more than the shuttle. (LOL jk jk jk!)

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... Sorry to "twisted" this good thread last night...

Ok. let's get back to the topic (ok, ok, the skill one), before the thread being deleted, and we all being banned. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.