Unallocated dsk space

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by viver, Nov 29, 2010.

1. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi, I have a 160 Gb IDE hard drive. I have created 2 partitions - 1 of 100 Gb (C:) and another of 60Gb (D:) and installed Windows XP on C drive. If I go to My Computer and check the properties, the C and D drives have approximately 160 Gb.

My question is, with a Disk Management program (Easeus), it reports the C and D drives with roughly the reported sizes plus 15 Gb of Unallocated Disk Space? I have clearly specified the partitions sizes during installation (100 + 60) and should not leave any unallocated disk space. :confused:

I have Googled about Unallocated Disk Space but could not find information about this scenario. Can somebody help?

Thanks.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Want to reclaim all that space?

There's a pretty good free software called Gparted available on all Ubuntu LiveCD distros that can do almost everything what commercial software such as PartitionMagic can do, for free.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

I can reclaim that space, but before I do that, is there a reason why there is disk space unallocated. I created 2 partitions and formatted them, 1 with 100 Gb and another 60 Gb - that should take all the 160 Gb of disk space.

4. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Discussed with some tech heads over here, it seems like we're in a bit of a pickle:

One (definite) possibility is the marketing gimmick - 160GB hard disk in actual fact is approximately 156.25GB only. The net 'loss' is about 3.75 GB only.

So where did the rest of the 11.25GB go to?

I'm taking a guess that its an NTFS overhead - I've been reading the numbers 12.5% being used by the Master File Table (MFT)

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_optimization.htm

By the way I think you can't get back the 15GB of loss space.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi Wilfredlgf, I think you could be right. I disk management shows partition C and D and the unallocated disk space size of 15 Gb. The software allows to to reclaim that space, but I was unsure since I did not see the FAT or MFT shown anywhere. Just wanted to see if anybody had experienced this before. I will not try to reclaim that space... at least for now. When I decide to reformat the drive, I might try before doing the reformat to see what's the result! Thank you for your quick reply and information. Hope your team, Liverpool will do well this year!

6. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    That's just an educated guess viv dude but experience shows that you are never going to get 100% of the space after a format - the bigger the drive the more you will lose.

I'm not sure if this thing is unique to Windows - I'm currently looking at EXT4 and I have all of the 500GB available, although some space is taken by default by the journaling feature.

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Did you enter "100GB" or "100.000.000.000" bytes? (=93GB + 55GB) http://egret.net/kb__mb.htm

Never mind that: 160GB already is ~149GB (I have the same disk in right now C 49,03GB and D 100,01GB and no unallocated space)

#7 demolidor, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  8. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

It also meant ''everything''--''everything'' of what we think are deleted/formatted are in fact sitting on those obnoxious frontier! That's just the way it should me done for security reasons.

9. viver

viver Regular Member

The disk was formatted with Windows XP and in NTFS. As I remember (well, that was done a few years back), when I got the hard drive new I specified the partitions size as required during the format process - now I forgot if it was 100 and 60 or 65% for primary partition and 35% for secondary, but it kind of add up the disk total size. On second thought, that unallocated disk space is shown at the end after the D drive. I would have thought the FAT would sit at the beginning of the disk, before the C drive... Anyways I will let you know after I re-format the drive.