Stamina Training? Footwork Technique?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by heyitsericc, Nov 29, 2010.

1. heyitsericc

heyitsericc Regular Member

Stamina
    -I tire out really quick. Maybe because I have just gotten into the sport, but I have seen almost everybody at the courts play endlessly. Are there any training? Just keep playing badminton? Laps around the gym? I play in a rec, and there is a workout room there too, ellipical, treadmill?

Footwork
    -Lee Jae Bok has told me to put my racket feet a bit forward. It seems kind of weird for me at first, since I have been playing the other way before. How do you position your feet? For receiving serves, I still have my racket feet behind me. Are there any good videos of footwork techniques?

In general, any good videos reccomendation for strokes, footwork, any basic and beginner stuff. I want to make sure I have a good foundation, before I move up to trick shots and smashes.

Thanks BC!

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It could take more than 1,000 words to explain

For Singles, usually players have their racket foot behind when receiving the Service.

But for Doubles, players usually have their non-racket foot behind when receiving the Service.

As to why ??? - Ask your coach. It could take more than 1,000 words to explain. :):):)

3. heyitsericc

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a coach. I have the ears, if you don't mind explaining.

What about post service, when the game is on? Feet are parallel?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Huh? Isn't it always racket foot behind when receiving serve, doesn't matter singles or doubles?

5. heyitsericc

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a coach. I have the ears, if you don't mind explaining.

What about post service, when the game is on? Feet are parallel?

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It depends on your opponent(s)'s Service (high or low)

It depends on your opponent(s)'s Service - Whether to make you move forward or backward to receive his/her Service.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

But we're talking about in preparation to receive a serve... not yet knowing whether the serve will be low or high or short or wide.

If you look at badminton bible or any of the pro players (whether doubles or singles), the racket foot is always at the back, always.

8. heyitsericc

Yea, I agree with visor on this one, unless you can read their mind.

Inception?

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The important thing to observe on which foot the weight is on

If you already prefer to have your non-racket foot at the front, then I shall say no more. :):):)

Actually, the important thing to observe on which foot a player is having his/her weight on. He/she may have weight on the racket foot, whether it is placed in front or at the back.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think the important thing to observe is which foot is forwards.

If the receiver's racket foot is forwards, he will have terrible difficulty coping with a flick serve.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Depends on which is the the stronger leg which can do the power push off

IMHO, this will depend on which is the the stronger leg which can do the power push off.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, it doesn't depend on which leg is stronger.

If your racket foot is forwards, then to return a flick serve you must push off backwards and make a ~180 degree spin. This makes it very difficult to move backwards quickly and on balance.

With the non-racket foot forwards, the 180-degree spin is not necessary. The movement is simpler and easier. You have very little time in this situation, so you cannot afford a more complex or awkward movement.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Chris

I'm surprised by your answer.

If you have watched any pro games, you would see that it is always always the non racket foot forward.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i concur with the majority here. i have never seen anyone worth mentioning put their racket foot forward on a service return.

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    in response to heyitsericc:

during a rally, I personally would always have my racket foot in front - I MAY vary how far in front it goes - the more offensive I am, the further forwards my racket foot tends to be (as I assume I am less likely to have to push off sideways quickly - more forwards and backwards). If you are CERTAIN your opponent cannot attack you, but can only lift, then having your non racket foot forwards may be ok, but I see no benefit over having your racket foot forwards at all times. The advantage of having the racket foot forwards, is it tends to bring the racket shoulder and racket arm forwards, giving a better range of motion for the racket arm, but still positioning the feet in such a way that one can efficiently cover every corner - particularly the round the head movements (although the forehand rear corner is always likely to be more difficult to cover).

When receiving service, I would always have my non racket foot forwards, because this helps me cope with flick serves (as mentioned by others) because my racket shoulder is further back (where it needs to be quickly after you see the flick serve coming).

Matt

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Cmment about Lee Jae Bok's instruction

Thanks for correcting me. Firstly, I was answering to heyitsericc's comment about Lee Jae Bok's instruction.
    Then I posted;
    It should read;

For the Return of Service, we usually have our racket foot behind.

But to get into the Ready Position during a rally (not for the Return of Service), it is recommended that players have their non-racket foot behind.

Actually, it is better to talk about on which foot (racket or non-racket foot) our weight should be on, not whether which foot is placed at the front or at the back.

I have started a new thread, found located at;
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...movement-during-a-rally&p=1574910#post1574910

#16 chris-ccc, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

Heh, just to confuse the op some more...

There is only one instance when you should prepare to receive serve with the racket foot forward! This is when your opponent is one of these unconventional forehand servers who stands at the right front corner to serve in the right half court. Then you need to receive serve in this manner to counter the drive serve.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It is better for one to hire a coach to explain with demonstration

The answer to me is which foot we wish to move first (that is, to transfer our weight to that foot).

Many a times, with a demonstration (in action) is much clearer/easier.

There were times I spent 30 minutes to explain some things on the phone, when I could have spent explaining it in 1 minute by demonstrating. Even with the 30 minutes of explaining on the phone, trainees can still get the wrong message/idea.

It is better for one to hire a coach to explain with demonstration.

19. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    gotten into cycling really helped my legs' stamina. not only can i last longer on the court, i am able to respond a bit quicker as well. of course losing a bit of weight also helped too :)

20. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Receiving serve - non racket foot forwards
    Singles after receiving serve - mostly racket foot forwards, but not always, sometimes if you expect your opponent will clear to the rearcourt then you can be ready with your racket foot behind.

Doubles after receiving serve - feet position is dependant on your position relative to your partner and the space you want to cover. In a LJB video for example, he shows a situation in attack (both players right handed) where the front player moves to the forehand net corner, the rearcourt/midcourt player adjusts his position more centrally and facesthe corner his partner has moved to, therefore he will be left foot forwards, enabling him to cover the long diagonal from forehand rearcourt to backhand net area.

Loosely speaking the rearcourt player stands on the diagonal.

#20 coachgary, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010