Tall guy - NanoSpeed or MP?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by mithundsouza, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mithundsouza

mithundsouza New Member

Hey guys
    I need to buy a new racket and i have been playing badminton for close to 1 year now and i think its high time I invested in a decently priced racket having already spent so much buying all those AS10 shuttles for so many months.

I am a 6'3" guy with enough power in my arms (definitely a power player compared to control)
    I havent really bought a professional grade racket before. The first one i got was a Carbonex.

I am getting some good deals here for some of the Yonex rackets.
    Not that i have narrowed it down or anything, but i am contemplating between the NS6000, the NS800, the MP7 and the Ti5.

Also, for someone as tall as me (and a pretty decent build), would you guys recommend an Isometric or a Oval. My skill level isint that great, but the training/tuts here have certainly helped bring me up to speed with a few things about the sport.

Any and all feedback more than welcome!
    Thanks in advance.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I hope by good deal it is not the US$50 fake rackets. there are tons and tons of fake rackets in India.

3. mithundsouza

mithundsouza New Member

heh, no. Not 50 bucks man. Come on!
    This is a legit store. I am guessing he imports them in bulk as its a supermarket kinda setup called Hypercity.
    All the rackets had serial tagging (DDMMYY) and the hologram and i also cross checked if they were actually imported.
    Most of them were either made in Japan or Taiwan.

Dont know any other way to check for legitimacy.

Any recommendation in terms of "which" racket to go for?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is difficult to recommend a racket with too little information. everyone love to smash and being a big guy you can probably use a heavier racket like the Armortec series. unless you prefer light racket i don't recommend nanospeed as they require fast swing speed which is hard to execute for someone with long heavy arms.

5. mithundsouza

mithundsouza New Member

Interesting point you brought up there kwun. The thing is, considering i dont have a coach yet (for various reasons of not having time to dedicate to one cause of work commitments which make me travel a lot), i havent really figured out what my weak or strong points are.

All i know is, coming from playing basketball for so many years, i know I have a decent arm and i know i am pretty efficient at moving my feet. Some of the footwork tuts and the youtube videos i have watched has definitely helped improve my game considerably over the last 1 year of playing the sport as regularly as possible.

Having said all that, I honestly still do not know which direction to tend towards cause of the numerous choices. When visiting a store and shuffling through the rackets (before i found this awesome resource), I couldnt really tell the difference between most 3U and 2U rackets. Hence the request for recommendations.

Any more info i could share with you if it'd help get better recommendations, I am more than willing to list out :)

Cheers

6. what07

what07 Regular Member

Maybe you could also tell us if you play singles or doubles?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from the information you have given, ie. you have played only 1 yr and that you cannot tell between 2/3U rackets, i am guessing that you still have a way to go in terms of badminton skills (how is that for a nice diplomatic way to put it...) my suggestion then would be either try out a mid-range Armortec racket, or go out and borrow some from your buddies and decide for yourself which one you prefer most.

you will also soon run into question about string and tension. the general recommendation here is BG80@22lbs or 23lbs. higher tension is not always better.

8. what07

what07 Regular Member

Kwun check you pm. :)

9. mithundsouza

mithundsouza New Member

Hey guys
    When I said I couldn't tell the difference between a 2U and a 3U, I actually meant the weight feels almost identical in my arms, thanks to the heavy handedness of a tall guy like me I guess. I mean, sure there is a difference, but its very negligible and almost unrecognizable from the rackets I have borrowed and tried.

Thank you guys for the feedback anyways :)
    I am guessing its back to an AT or a Cab for me. This guy is retailing a Cab21Special for a sale price. But its oval and not isometric. Don't know why I am leaning towards the isometric from all that I've read up tonight!

Help!

10. what07

what07 Regular Member

Good to see you can post now :)

I agree with Kwun, best to try out some friends racket to see if you like a certain kind more, headheavy or headlight or even balance. Since you play singles 95% of the time I would go with a headheavy racket for more power, Armortec. Wouldn't choose the NS because those are headlight - even balance and are more suited towards doubles play which requires the racket to move quicker for defence and counterattacking.

11. mithundsouza

mithundsouza New Member

Thanks what07
    Unfortunately for me, the store that I am scoping out (which I seem to think stocks genuine stuff after reading through all the "spot the fakes guides") doesn't stock any AT. He's got some options though.

If I aint mistaken, as I said in my post, he's got one piece of the Cab21S and he has a few MusclePower 20, 22, 7, 3, 2 and he also had one Isometric Alpha and a couple of other Cab 6000/7000 DF/8000L/8000P/6010/7010 and the likes.

Like kwun mentioned, there are many fakes around, but this guy atleast promised me warranty considering I am in India :)

12. what07

what07 Regular Member

Do you have a budget? If not maybe you should try ordering online for more selection and do you only prefer yonex or willing to try other brands? e.g Apacs.

From the rackets you listed in your posts so far. "NS6000, the NS800, the MP7 and the Ti5. Cab21S and he has a few MusclePower 20, 22, 7, 3, 2 and he also had one Isometric Alpha and a couple of other Cab 6000/7000 DF/8000L/8000P/6010/7010 "

I would choose the NS850 if that's all I have to work with. Some of the other rackets don't have a graphite shaft but use alunimum or steel like the MP7,3,2. As for the Cab21S I nevered tried so no opinion. NS6000 maybe too flexible and it's more headlight then the 850.

13. mithundsouza

mithundsouza New Member

Hey man! Thanks for writing back. Honestly as it stands today, I don't necessarily have a budget allocated to picking up the new racket. Its kinda the thing where I want a good racket more than saving bucks. But I am guessing, based on my commitment to the sport and the average cost of the rackets I mentioned, usd $100 to $150 range should be a good starting point.

I am not brand friendly, but considering I live in India, its difficult enough to find good Yonex pieces, let alone other brands. The main issue ordereing online is the shipping. Wherever I've tried to ship stuff here in the past, they almost never do.

Do you know of any websites that actually ship here and what rackets would you recommend I consider from Apacs etc?

14. what07

what07 Regular Member

15. thereal

thereal Regular Member

business
    Hey. I am exactly six feet in height and use the Armortec 50 and since you from India and understand the value of rupees I got the racket from GSH[gupta sport house - CP] for Rs. 3500. It is heavy and may be the one for you. But if its not in your reach, Go for the MusclePower 45 which you will cost you about 4700 rupees. Is is quite similar to the one I use [AT 50]. Are you from New Delhi too?

16. mithundsouza

mithundsouza New Member

what07, thanks for that link. I will get in touch with him and see what my options are. Thanks for all the valuable feedback too! Really appreciate it.

thereal: nice to know of more Indian baddy guys on this forum. I aint from Delhi unfortunately. I currently live in Mumbai and i found the rackets i mentioned in the earlier post at Hypercity. They seem to stock authentic rackets for a decent price and I was contemplating between the Cab21Special or the NS800, since what07 helped me narrow it down to those two. I havent checked out the AT50 yet, but i'll look around tomm and see if i can score the same deal here.

Do you have any recommendations for good sports shops here in Mumbai? Preferably in the suburbs?

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The best thing you could do is visit the Bandra Gym or the Andheri Sports Complex, and ask some of the better players there. I believe Uday Pawar or someone as respected runs the badminton sessions at the Andheri Sports Complex. They will definitely point you to the correct dealer. Apart from that, I believe there are shops in Bangalore and Chennai which people swear by, who could courier the racquet to you.

#17 cobalt, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010