Recovery Footwork after you jump

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by raymond, Apr 28, 2002.

1. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Don't know if this has ever been discussed in the old forum.

This is particularly for Singles. After you execute your jump
    (either jump smash, or switch-steps), do you land with both
    legs, or with one leg. And how do you initiate your forward
    movements again.

It seems to me the Chinese and Malaysians would use
    one leg landing, and push off running forward right away.
    But Indonesians would land with both legs, and hop forward
    one step (with both legs), before they resume their short
    run forward.

Any thoughts on that?

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    well.... unless u can produce acurate smashes like the pros... i was told by many people to not jump at all...

ps. where's badrad... I bet he'd luv to have a debate with you on y not to jump ^^... n no matter wut u say u'll lose the debate =P

3. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I have a jump smash and i would not mind arguing this with him. IF u have decent movement then i believe Jump gives u lot of oppurtunities.

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    There's arguments for and against Jumping.
    There is a middle ground here. You should only use the jump if it is going to be effective.
    If you have the fitness to sustain the jumping throughout the game then there's no problem. However if it depletes your energy then you're probably better off sticking to the floor unless it is winning numerous points.
    I would say the backhand clear/smash is a much more effective tool to have in your armoury than a jump smash.
    Saying that I'm currently doing a plyometric program to put around 6 inches on my vertical, so who am I to talk?

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    wow!... how high can you jump now??

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I think we're off topic now. I was asking what to do after
    one jumps. Not whether one should jump or not...

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Quite right Raymond.

For your answer, I will assume it's a classical jump smash (vertically up and down), not sideways jump and the player is right hander.

A very important point for this stroke is NOT to be jumping backwards as you play it. Regaining balance and footwork is much more difficult. In fact, it took me two sessions to really realise that my old smash technique had this problem.

Most players will rotate the legs so the left lands first, the right nearer the net with shoulders forward. Then push with the left foot so stepping forward left then right foot.

If you practice and have good leg strength, you can reach for a net shot in two strides.

common errors:
    1) not getting the shoulders forward enough after landing. Stoop low like a sprinter.
    2) taking one step to the centre line of the court after smashing. This wastes time going to the net. Go directly forward in the line of your smash. A straight block return is the most common reply by the opponent.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Part 2

"It seems to me the Chinese and Malaysians would use
    one leg landing, and push off running forward right away.
    But Indonesians would land with both legs, and hop forward
    one step (with both legs), before they resume their short
    run forward. "

Not quite so. After a full power smash, the hop is really not an option as it uses up a little more time. Where you will see the hop performed is after a steep half smash/ drop/ cross court smash when the shuttle more likely to be returned to the forecourt (before the service line area) because the hop allows more coverage of the court (and there is time to do it). Most of the chinese do the 'hop'. I prefer to call it a 'skip'.

I've noticed Peter Gade and Taufik use a variant.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I seen something what Cheung has said on CBC (1 AM), Monday as there was a finals against an Indoneasan and a Korean in Swizzerland.

They seemed to only smashed only when it counted. It was the last set at time and the Indonearly did a jump smash which was good smash right on the back line which ended up in the center (bit to the right), even thou the opponent was already there but could not get it after he had served to the Indoneasan just to be smashed at. (This was the last set).

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Re: Part 2

Cheung,

Could you kindly explain a bit the mechanics involved here,
    as to why both legs hop is slower?

Thanks.

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Actually, I'm thinking about sideway, & possibly backward jump
    (consider moving from net/center to back in Singles). And in
    such case, seems like the right thing to do to aid recovery is
    switch step (scissor kick), and lower shoulder and body leaning
    forward enough. True?

With respect to return to smash, I'd think the most likely response
    in Singles would be cross-court block if you smash straight though; that's a reply that make you move the farthest.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Re: Re: Part 2

Try it out and then compare it with a step forward.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

For your first paragraph, there are many variations. It's difficult to comment exactly without seeing how you've positioned yourself and exactly what footwork you are using to move to the rear court (as well as the flight of the shuttle) Certainly, the scissor kick technique for side smash on right side COULD be used but if further out CANNOT be used (well it can be used but you might fall over). For round the head, yes it can be used but I'd be very sure there is a big gap in the court before using it, and it must be a short lift. I agree with your shoulder and body forward description after scissor kick. This is vitally important for going forward.

For your 2nd paragraph, cross court return is the most likely return that your opponent might want to make. BUT, if you have good smash technique, cross court return is UNLIKELY (or you are regularly playing people of a couple levels higher than you).

#13 Cheung, May 1, 2002
    Last edited: May 1, 2002
  14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    jchen99 and jumping

jchen99 - is that jason?

i am not saying never to jump smash. i am saying not to start jump smashing until you at least become proficient with smashing in general from the ground level. you need to remember that smashing, whether it is on the ground or in the air requires the same stroke, but being in the air requires additional body mechanics you have to worry about, but essentially the stroke is the same.

i have been trying to get you to work on your basic smash, once you get that, then you can progress to jumps. the other point about jumping in general is that jumping is not an alternative to good footwork, it is a part of good footwork. the problem you might have with jump recovery is that your basic ground foot work is missing. the same idea applies here in that if your basic ground footwork is solid, jumping and jump recovery will be a natural. your jumping and landing is not coordinated with your ground work.

15. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: jchen99 and jumping

Yes I am :p

And in response to your comment on me jumpsmashing... well... I find that when i jumpsmash, my form is actually better... for some weird reason :rolleyes:

A week or 2 ago, I asked a friend to watch me play, and correct my technique. He realized that when i jumpsmash, my hand reachs up higher, thus giving me the "correct" action for a smash, but when I'm smashing standing still, I tend to bend my elbow and just use my wrist to smash @@... so... haha... maybe you can help me get rid of this bad form next sataurday :D

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    nothing that 10,000 smashes won't cure

okay, this saturday i will start you on the program of 10,000 smashes. starting this saturday you will be required to start with a basic stroke, performing first 100 smashes (we will get to 1,000 then 10,000, even up to 100,000) isolating the arm motion only - no body motion. this should be a good start to getting you with the proper stroke.

btw: if you use any unnecessary body motion or jumping, each time we will make you do 10 push-ups.

jason: you may think your form is better, please believe me - all three coaches watched you attempt your jump smashes, your partners watched you jump smash - all of us including your partners are telling you not to jump smash because you are not effective with it. your jump smash at this time gains you nothing. your jump smash percentage is close to 0% when you played against me. the ones that came over were more like a flat drive.

if you think you are going the right way, then by all means stop coming to our practices. and so i set the message straight with you, do not put words in my mouth. i am not against jump smashing, since i do it myself. i am telling you not to jump smash until you improve your technique.

#16 badrad, May 1, 2002
  17. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Re: Re: Re: Part 2

Hmmm... I was hoping for something more than that on the
    principle side. Even if I try it out, and find one leg method is
    fast than 2 legs, it could mean I need more practice with the
    2 legs method. (I start out with 1 leg method).

But then if the principle is flawed, I wouldn't/shouldn't practise
    it at all.

18. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: nothing that 10,000 smashes won't cure

haha... icic ^^... I'm glad ur willing to help me ^^ however... i cannot make it this week... hwo about let's start next week? thx for the offer! :D hope it wont be too tiring tho:( :(

19. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    your dedication is as consistent as your game

look jason, why don't you just keep playing at cameron on fridays with your friends. i need the space on saturdays, i have several more kids that are anxious to get onto the program. all the kids are committed to coming every week and set aside their time to practice. all of the kids are ready to work hard during practice. they also play as often as they can and put into play what they practice.

the other two coaches and i and volunteers to the center because we want to give some of our knowledge to these young players, but the kids are dedicated and will put in the time, not just lip service. i certainly don't get paid for any of this work, and don't need to drag you into it. you either want to learn or you don't. you keep talking about it, but every single action from you so far has been to the contrary. i would rather you find alternate coaching to suit your own schedule, instead of mine.

#19 badrad, May 1, 2002
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Part 2

I see your point Raymond.
    But if you compare the starting step of a sprinter to somebody who skips (assuming they both start off at the same point), does one need to really explain the principle of why a running step is faster than a skip?
    I mean, isn't it obvious?
    If not, we'll need the services of a sports scientist to put the text together for the principles. I'm not that good for this particular topic.

Like I said before, your smash may not be of good enough quality against the opposition you play. Alternatively, your physical condition (leg strength) may not be high enough to get to the net with a running step, so a skip to make up some ground might be appropriate.

For my own situation, I was initally very dubious of my own ability to smash and run straight to the net immediately. My coach kept saying I had the leg strength despite my misgivings. It seemed a huge distance! After adjustments to my upper body, I found I could perform. If you ask me to perform it when I'm >40 yrs old, well, that might not then be possible.

Badrad,

I don't mind doing some of those smashes, you mentioned. Can we take it a bit easier? I'm willing to start off with 200 smashes first(my regular number in practice) and then increase it but you must promise to help me see my imperfections. Is that OK?

#20 Cheung, May 2, 2002
    Last edited: May 2, 2002