What would you do?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by greensmasher, Dec 2, 2010.

1. greensmasher

greensmasher New Member

IT
    Guys,

I just want to ask your opinion in this scenario wherein a player said to the Umpire/Scorer to "PAY ATTENTION TO THE SCORING, PLEASE!" in a derogatory, dictative manner.

This happened in our local tournament where the Umpire is the Scorer as well due to lack of manpower.

Do the player have the right to say this? What would be the fair and appropriate action regarding this matter?

I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Was there a problem (perceived or not) with the scoring?

If there was, then perhaps the player was justified in asking ...

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

As an umpire, I would have thrown out a yellow card there (or probably in your case, just give the player a verbal warning if they are not an official umpire), EVEN IF the umpire was not doing his job, at least ask politely and try to consult with the tournament director/referee if there are any complaints. There is no reason to yell at the score keeper/umpire as that would not help the situation get better.

4. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

Player/s have all rights to inquire, and the score is the most important to know.

When you indicated with capitals, does this mean shouting?

And please do not get me wrong, but a derogatory, dictative manner is quite relative. If this fellow was continuously doing this throughout the game, that is quite different. Then it would also indicate a deeper problem, perhaps the scorer was mucking up. Even then, there is no reason to condone the behaviour of shouting.

You also mention local tourney and Umpire/Scorer. One of the duties of the umpire is to keep track of correct score. From your description, it would appear to me that the organiser is having volunteers, possibly other players who are to play later or have played, to keep score. Well, well, well, this would not bode well for the shouting fellow then, would it? S/he is just shouting at volunteers and peers.

Be that as it may, if I was that umpire/scorer, then my response would be to tell him:

• Hey Mr, dont shout, I can hear pretty well.
    • Hoy, there, dont you be yelling, talk, and I will listen what you have to say.
    • Hey There, I am keeping score here, I forgot to keep good record. I try hard now.
    • Hey Fellow, pipe down youse. You did not signal if that shuttle landed out (or whatever the case may be). Next time signal properly, alright?

But whatever happens, talk with the organiser, or match control desk, about this verbal abuse. Let them handle this situation of the yelling yob.

If you are an assigned umpire for that match, you would still take care of the situation with either of the above. You would initiate your notification with: Come here; No talking to the scorer (that is me), and quietly add: You are a player, so play. I am the umpire, and I will keep score. Alright?

This is not standard vocabulary, but is very effective, especially when such player attempts to undermine the umpire/scorer's confidence.

#4 2wheels04, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

And as an umpire or tournament organiser, there is also provision within the BWF rules to sanction or penalise the player, and that is related to the players code of conduct (Pt III Sec 1B, Appendix 4, pp 120-3, see http://bit.ly/dMYAWZ):

4.14. Oral abuse

Making a statement within the precincts of the tournament site, directed at an official, opponent, spectator or other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.

and

4.16. Unsportsmanlike conduct

Conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport

5.1. Conduct contrary to the integrity of the game

Engaging in conduct contrary to the integrity of the game of Badminton. ... if a player has at any
    time behaved in a manner severely damaging to the reputation of the sport
    , that player may be
    deemed by virtue of such behaviour to have engaged in conduct contrary to the integrity of the
    game of Badminton.
    --

#5 2wheels04, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010