Russia and Qatar awarded FIFA World Cup hosting rights

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by taneepak, Dec 4, 2010.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Russia and Qatar have been awarded the FIFA World Cup hosting rights for 2018 and 2022, respectively.

However, there were accusations of corruptions in FIFA from countries that were eliminated, in particular the UK and Australia and also the US.
    Personally I think the losers are just bad losers and poor sour grapes, in particular the UK and Australia. Even Obama is talking nonsense.
    The FIFA World Cup has for too many times and for too long been held in Europe and South America. Soccer is greater than these 2 continents and FIFA is right in looking at soccer globally.
    The UK has already held a FIFA World Cup once so it should not be surprised to find its bid thrown out with the lowest number of votes. The same with Japan and South Korea. The US is not new to hosting a FIFA World Cup having hosted one not too far in the past.

As a matter of fact even before the final votes were counted I was expecting both Russia and Qatar to be awarded the hosting rights.
    The reason was simple and that is to extend soccer's global reach.
    Both Russia and Qatar had never hosted a FIFA World Cup before. Besides Russia is the world's largest country. Qatar represents the Arab world with 22 countries and its offer of building new stadiums that are fully air-conditioned by solar power (carbon-neutral) and then taking down all the stadiums after the World Cup and have them sent to poor countries as gifts was real first-class world statesmanship!

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Russia I expected as well, Qatar a little less so (I can't even imagine there being a grassroots level around). Was actually thinking USA for that one, but not expecting, to keep the stimulus alive ... we must conquer it! Soccer #1, U-S-A, U-S-A! :p
    That being said, 22 members dancing to Blatter's tune "voting" for the World Cup in a stuffy boardroom ... I'm sure everything went clean as a whistle :rolleyes:.

#2 demolidor, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Stadiums look good but how do you plan to keep something like the Khalifa Stadium cool: http://www.qatar2022bid.com/stadiums
    But we shouldn't forget USA '94 had matches played at noon in 90-100F degree heat in Florida with close to 100% humidity in the Citrus Bowl to suit the television viewers in Europe ;).

Regarding the "winter" period: it's still the off season for South American leagues and the MLS (and others perhaps, Australia? ...)

#4 demolidor, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes, I agree the World Cup is a good event to (re-)develop new areas that's why I thought it would go to Russia. For '22 I had Qatar in second but since North-America could still use a boost and are further and actually have a decent national team ... (let's count how many "brazilians" will make the Qatar team in '22 ;)).
    I think it has the potential to become at least the #2 sport in America surpassing baseball and easily the indoor sports ...

Just came across yet another article :)

"World Cup bid process flawed and in need of greater transparency

Story Highlights
    FIFA ExCo members told England and Australia they had voted for them
    Russia and Qatar had the wealthiest bid budgets of all the contenders
    FIFA member nations should follow England's lead and demand more transparency

ZURICH -- The Baur au Lac hotel, a five-star palace on the banks of Lake Zurich, was the epicenter of The Game here this week: the final lobbying of the nine bids vying to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. As the official hotel of the FIFA Executive Committee, the 22 men who choose the World Cup hosts, the opulent Baur au Lac welcomed all manner of dignitaries this week, from former President Bill Clinton and David Beckham to Prince William and British Prime Minister David Cameron.

On Wednesday night, I shared a couch in the lobby bar with Mia Hamm and her husband, Nomar Garciaparra. And on Thursday night, after FIFA had chosen Russia '18 and Qatar '22 as the big winners, I came back to the Baur au Lac to try to make sense of how Qatar -- a nation the size of Connecticut, one that had been deemed a "high risk" by FIFA's own inspectors -- had swept aside the U.S. with ease to win one of the biggest prizes in sports."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/grant_wahl/12/03/wc.bids/index.html#ixzz17Els8J8Q

#6 demolidor, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I think the author of this article is too childish, behaving like a bad sport.
    He can write anything he likes including lies because there is no one to argue with him. The selection and voting process is sanctioned by FIFA and FIFA officials in the eyes of the world voted correctly, i.e. the most deserving countries, Russia and Qatar, won! Of course losers understandably get too emotional because they have a blinked view of the world and they never ever considered the high possibility of losing by foolishly spending so much unnecessary money for the bid., which if they had really taken a more matured look and in a global perspective they would not have had a ghost of a chance.
    Another thing, should China consider a bid after 2022 she would have a far better chance than other countries. The reason is obvious. The game has to look at the future to reach new frontiers, not to pamper those who have controlled the game for too long and behave as if they owned it.

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Wasn't very arsed about who got the hosting rights but the win by Qatar was the eye-opener for future bids; as per the article above it was a fresh change of 'home of football' or 'football's next wave into the States'. My initial reaction was 'Qatar?!?!' but the modular design idea of the stadiums and their future homes in countries whom cannot afford by themselves would have won me over as well if it were down to my vote.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Do you know who are the 22 delegates in FIFA who had the voting rights? There are 22 from an original slate of 24 after 2 were suspended, and together with the president's casting vote the total would be 23 if there was a tie.
    The 22 votes are :
    Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil, Trinidad & Tobago, USA, Guatemala
    Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Qatar
    Egypt, Turkey
    Spain, England, Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Cyprus, Russia
    Ivory Coast, Cameroon
    Blatter (casting vote)

As you can see Europe and the Americas still dominate FIFA.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Russia and...Qatar????...

(i wanted to chime in, in the "footbal 2010-11" thread, but i'll just make my comments here on the 2 decisions)..

- 2018 Selection: Russia. For me, it's fine. Their 1st time hosting it & they have the infrastructure ready etc. But my main reason is i believe Eastern European's soccer has shown strong growth and support the last few yrs. And then you got that Ashvirin dude.
    The selection of Belgium/Holland would also be fine as they are also a region with strong footbal history plus it would be their first time ever hosting it.
    England, despite them being absent from hosting the WC since some 50+ yrs back, the 2012 OG is just around the corner, thus the timing is just too close (but don't tell that to Brazil, though;)).
    Spain/Portugal, i wouldn't mind also as they have a strong football history.

now...the, arguably, the biggest selection stump i've seen in selection history..

- 2022 Selection: Qatar...Qatar, you said????..yes, i know FIFA is thnking of expanding the sport and making it exposed globally, but remember, a host country gets an automatic qualification/slot into the WC.
    Now, can someone tell me/us, where is Qatar's FIFA World Ranking in the world??????..:confused::eek::confused::eek:
    As for Australia, i wouldn't mind that decision and personally they should be the better choice and host as they have the infrastructure ready, footbal has pretty good support and also it's their first time hosting. Add to that, it will be that region's first ever time hosting such a humongous event..
    U.S., nah, i'm glad we didn't get it. It's a good thing Broke OWEbama finally learned to send representatives instead of going himself to lobby for the bidding selection after he traveled all the way to DEN, last yr, and got shafted for the U.S.' bid to host the 2016 OG (right in his backyard home in Chicago)..:eek:
    KOR/Japan.....ummm, no comment..i think that region's time will come again in the future. Perhaps CHN will host it by then..

..and yes, i do feel there's a bit of "bribing" and "dealin' & wheelin' " in securing those selections..

Now, how about this idea. Since INA failed to pass its bid, how about Spore+M'sia+Indonesia all join together and make a bid to host the WC, say for 2026??. I know footbal fever is always very high in that part of the world...but will any of their footbal teams ever make it to the world's top 32 or even top 64 in the future?..of course, there will always be politics involved...hmmm, naahh, scratch that idea..:p

#10 ctjcad, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Oh c'mon its enough disappoinment losing the bid for the Aussie, do i have to see with this again on BC??? GGRRRRRRRRRRR

And finally ctjcad and i are on the same side :)

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Now, now, now, who do you think voted for Qatar over Australia. Frankly, I think Australia's bid was a joke. It is tucked away in a corner with a population that has no synergy with Asia.
    Qatar actually represents all the middle east and also south Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh). you can see the Indians celebrating Qatar's winning bid.
    FIFA is following the IOC, the latter awarding the 2016 Olympics Games to Brazil, in spreading the game.
    Perhaps Obama should read what his own US midfielder Landon Donovan said about Qatar's and Russia's winning bids. Donovan agrees that FIFA was right in awarding the 2 World Cups to Russia and Qatar if the objective was to spread the game around the world, and he personally praises Blatter for that wholeheartedly, saying that these two decisions will certainly do that.
    The next frontier is India and China where a large part of humanity is not touched by the game. Now, if only FIFA could get the Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, and Blangladeshis to be as passionate in soccer as they are in criket then world soccer would truly be a global game instead of it being Euro-centric and Latin America-centric.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..can someone please tell me where does Qatar stand on FIFA's World Ranking???..:confused:..
    Heck, if the idea of FIFA is to spread the "game" around the globe, like the IOC, then why not have Qatar host the 2020 OG (i believe they're one of the candidates in the running)??..might as well, right??..:eek:

#13 ctjcad, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If the world cup rights were to be awarded only to the top soccer countries then soccer will have no claim to being called a global game withe a global reach.
    Take for example badminton. At least they do have some top tier tournaments in countries whose standard of badminton is laughable.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..mr.t, there are countries with have better footbal/futbal grass roots, infrastructure, fan support, and most likely have national teams with much better WR than Qatar, which can host an event like the WC. Futher, those countries are not in Europe or S. America..
    There's no suggestion, at least from me, for the WC rights to be granted only to the top soccer countries (in Europe or S. America). Russia was fine (reasons already given above) and it's their time. But Qatar???..

As for badminton (IBF/BWF) holding some top tier tournaments in countries whose standard of badminton is laughable, please give an example or examples..:cool:

#15 ctjcad, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Qatar hosted one of the best and spectacular Asian Games in 2006 in their capital Doha, perhaps as good as the recent Asian Games held in Guangzhou, China. So Qatar is not new to hosting big events. It will also be hosting the Asian Cup in 2011.
    In fact Qatar's margin of victory over the US in the voting is as large as Russia's over Spain/Portugal. Qatar's reach across the middle east and the Islamic world, and to some extent South Asia too, is even more extensive than Russia's. By awarding the rights to Qatar it is a welcome signal to the Arab world and the peoples of the Islamic faith of peace and friendship.
    Frankly, I can see the award to Qatar will bring more extensive but welcome changes to world peace through soccer than the award to Russia. Remember Russia has a small population of slightly more than 100 million whereas the Islamic world has perhaps ten times more.
    On another note why did the US and England think that by sending Bill Clinton and the 3 lions from England (Beckham, PM, Prince Williams) they would stand a better chance? FIFA officials may take this is as trying to "bully" them or putting them under some sort of stress or duress. Well, the FIFA officials are no fools to be cowed or pushed around and I personally think their choices show great wisdom and great foresight.
    Also how do you explain the two votes for England, one of which came from its own delegate? Most of the other 20 votes were vested in Europeans and South American FIFA officials yet they did not vote for England.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Hold on, I cant stress enough the ability of Australia to host the world cup, the list would go on and on. If Qatar hosted AG 2006, how about Sydney Olympic 2000, regarded as the best ever (perhaps topped only by Beijing 2008). But thats not the most important thing. Just like ctjcad mentioned, its all about football or something else?? Does Qatar even have a proper strong league?? No. If its all about politic, since when sports should be mix with that??

OTOH, Australia is building football on the back of strong community support. They are fighting hard for a place among much loved sports in the like of Cricket and Rugby as well as Aussie rule football. A-league is growing each day and playing very competitively in the Asian Champion League. The number of A-league club increased each season and so too the attendance. Aussie pro players play at top clubs around the world and the national team went on to the last 2 world cup and performed really well. I can tell you that Aussie young players will be as good if not better than the golden generation, there are tons of them coming up every week. Something that i dont even see in Premier league.

Now if you regard that Australia is not part of Asia, big mistake!! Guess who's Australia largest trading partner? China. 90% of Aussie are either born overseas or have parents that were born overseas. And if walk down a street of Sydney, you will be forgiven to make mistake to think its somewhere in Singapore or Hong Kong or Seoul. Australia is an absolute melting pot of cultures dominated by mix of Asian and European culture. You can have Yum Cha, Roti prata, Kebab, Tapas, you name it.

Marriage between Caucasian and Asian are very common too. Our last much loved Prime Minister (current foreign minister) Kevin Rudd, speaks fluent mandarin, lived in Shanghai and have Chinese son in law. I lived here for 11 yrs now, and never i had any rasist comment directed towards me , in contrast i can see equality and fairness everywhere (something that sometimes i dont get at back home in Asia) and those who public regarded as rasict (like Paulin Hanson is moving back to England) have no more support.

Now dont tell me Qatar is more Asian that Australia, you cant even find a BBQ pork place there can you? In Australia you can go to Mosque, Church, Temple, you name it. Culture wise, do you really think that Middle east culture is somewhat closer to Asian mainstream culture than Australian multi culture

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Its also naive to think that soccer can bring somewhat better relation between Aran world and the rest of the world. Mr.T will all due respect, please tell me since when did soccer ever bring peace to the world?? If FIFA, really wants to bring peace in the middle east, they should host it in Iraq or Palestine.

Now i can see how powerfull is the head AFA, his influence over the members and perhaps with $$$ support from the Qatari really counts.

19. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I really hope that Australia national team will meet Qatar (anywhere anytime) and teach them a football lesson

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i agree with yoppy on this