Black Knight SL Ghost PC for 100$ CAD?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Atreyukicks, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Atreyukicks

Atreyukicks Regular Member

Student
    Alright So I walked into my local "Sports Experts" store today and fell in love with a racket! The Black Knight SL Ghost PC.

Info: http://www.badmintonalley.com/Black..._Badminton_Racket_p/racket-bk-sl-ghost-pc.htm

This racket is listed at 230$ on that website and at my store I get them for 100$ CAD.
    I know it isn't a fake btw.

Now my question: Is this racket really worth the 230$ listed on badmintonalley? Anyone ever played with this one? Badminton alley says it's even balance and some users on badmintoncentral say its head heavy... which one is it?

Also if this is a really good price and anyone wants one I can buy it and ship it to you, it would probably be around 130$ - 150$ to the usa (racket is 100$ + 13% tax bcz im in quebec)

sooo....
    Is it a good deal?
    Does anyone want one?

2. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

It's quite a good deal, and black knight prices tend to be priced around that range (i.e. way over priced :p) The SL Ghost PC was one of the highest end rackets BK produced (right under the photon).

I had the ghost (actually 2) and I honestly hated it. It may be initially fun to use (due to it's lightness), but eventually, becomes difficult to generate power. And I don't find the quality that good. I managed to break one (that I barely used), and I've never broken a racket before.

Honestly, spend some time testing it, make sure you like the feel. Though $100 is a steal for the racket, it's still down the drain if you don't end up using the racket. But if you like it, go ahead, like I said, the price is goooood

3. Atreyukicks

Student
    I cant find the photon anywhere but it WAS my first choice :p

Also What would you recommend me.... the ghost sl pc or the magnum xl? (http://www.badmintonalley.com/BLACK...Badminton_Racket_p/racket-bk-magnum-40-xl.htm)

Right now I have the BK Rapier 865 be and I am loving it, however the 10g difference with the ghost seems interesting... The magnum is on sale at 90$ while the ghost is 100$.... I WILL buy one, regardless of if I like it (If I don't like it I will simply sell it for what I paid to someone in my team) But which one will I have a better chance of liking? For the power concern, I am doing fine, clearing full court + 11 feet right now :D so if I lose a little but gain a LOT of control and agility would it be worth it? .... Durability is not very important to me as I only play doubles with partners I know wont kill my racket lol and I only play twice a week and string at 21 or 23 depending on racket. I am an all around play, playing front AND back in doubles depending which partners and play singles as well...

Note: I tried the AT900P and HATED it. It seemed like those extra 5g compared to my racket, were all in the head... My swing had a lag time and I kept miss-hitting because of it. If the ghost or magnum is THAT head heavy, I want to stay far far away from it.

4. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

My partner uses the Ghost and he loves it. If you are not a power player and more about the touch and feel of the racquet than this is something that is worthwhile getting. However as it's been said it is a VERY light racquet and you need some serious speed to generate good power. That being said, I strung his racquet with bg98 and his power has definitely increased.

In terms of the magnum vs ghost...it really depends...the xl is a big longer and can be annoying to switch back and forth from. As you say, you play doubles so naturally an offensive racquet is a better choice, but since you didn't like the at900p perhaps the XL, with a bit of extra weight may be something to try...

5. what07

what07 Regular Member

Wow only $100? That's cheap even with tax added on. Just buy all of them and sell them back. That's what I would do.

I wouldn't say the ghost is as headheavy as the AT900P but it's more headheavy then the Photon XL. But with it's lightweight it swings fast. Just try it, since your getting a good price off it.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I remember that a reseller in TO had the Photon XL on sale for $160 unstrung, sometime during summer. SO its not impossible to get a bargain on the SL's. You may want to ask the store guy how come the price is so low. Maybe a story ther, like it was slightly used, or clearing out stocks etc.

I had the Photon when my strength was low and I wanted a light swatter for doubles, but once I regained strength, it did nothing for me. I sold it. My 2 cents...

7. Atreyukicks

Student
    Alright well considering everyone's posts, I WILL buy it and see if I like it. If I don't like it/when I'm sick of it I'll sell it.
    And there is no reason for it being on sale.... It's usually 170$ and it's on sale for 100$.... There's 5 left and it's not clearance because they are receiving some more. However the sale might be over by then (according the guy who works there)

Anyways I will make a new thread to see if anyone wants some, I'll be glad to buy a couple and ship them out considering the great price.

8. Atreyukicks

Student
    Just wondering... if Black knight is over priced, I'm guessing Yonex is super overpriced.... so what kind of rackets do you use? Is there some sort of underground brand that is good quality but doesn't have a yonex price tag? That would be amazing if it existed...

9. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

can I get back to you on this? My friend MAY be interested in buying one more

10. Atreyukicks

Student

#10 Atreyukicks, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016