Chan Peng Soon & Goh Liu Ying

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by pajrul, Dec 5, 2010.

1. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

from their good performance in the 2010 china open ss.... i guess they deserve a thread of their own...
    will they go far?

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Traditionally, Malaysia is not strong in the Mixed Doubles event

I hope so. :):):)

Traditionally, Malaysia is not strong in the Mixed Doubles event.

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Sunday December 5, 2010

The Star
    Lack of speed and power leads to Peng Soon-Liu Ying losing in the semis

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: More speed. More power.
    That’s what youngsters Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying need if they are to become the first Malaysian pair from the current batch of mixed doubles players to qualify for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
    Yesterday, the pair showed plenty of promise but lacked explosive speed and power en route to losing 17-21, 18-21 to China’s Zhang Nan-Zhao Yunlei in the semi-finals of the mixed doubles event in the China Open in Shanghai.
    [​IMG]
    Still learning: Malaysia’s Chan Peng Soon (left) and Goh Liu Ying lost 17-21, 18-21 to China’s Zhang Nan-Zhao Yunlei in the China Open mixed doubles semi-finals yesterday.

At least this time they put up more of a fight compared to the tame loss they suffered at the hands of the same pair in the opening round of All-England in Birmingham earlier this year.
    The 22-year-old Peng Soon admitted that he was more confident of his partnership with Liu Ying.
    “We did well to reach our first semi-finals in a Super Series event but we could have certainly played better against Zhang and Zhao today,” said Peng Soon in a telephone interview.
    “I played too cautiously and I was not brave enough to go for the kill. Liu Ying played well at the front. If we had more speed and power, it would have been different.
    “Liu Ying and I are more confident now. I still remember our defeat to this pair at the All-England. We were blown away, but this time we were able to hold them off longer. Next time, we will be out to beat them.”
    Peng Soon-Liu Ying, the Asian Badminton Championships winners, are currently ranked 32nd in the world and, if they can stay consistent, can move into the top 16 in no time.
    Coach Jeremy Gan said it was a good start for the duo.
    “Overall, they did well here. They are a pair with huge potential and I hope they will keep it up,” said Jeremy.
    “Tactically, we are still behind some of the top guns. This is an area we can improve on. Liu Ying has shown a marked improvement and let’s hope for consistent performances from them. They will take part in the Hong Kong Open next.”
    The duo will take on second seeds Hendra Gunawan-Vita Marissa of Indonesia in the opening round of the Hong Kong Open on Wednesday.
    Peng Soon will also be competing in the men’s doubles event with Lim Khim Wah in Hong Kong.

4. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

yup .. that article hit the nail on the head... they have everything else except power.. gly needs to have the desire to kill everytime, not just return shots. i believe they will start winning against seeded players soon... one can only hope.
    they are pretty exciting to watch though

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I hope they can keep up the momentum in the Hong Kong Open!

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i downloaded their match against zhang/zhao
    not yet watch
    but on the aggressive part
    i believe she had did better in BAC where she play better than liliyana natsir(sf) and kim(final)
    but they are relatively unknown that time,so the opponent had learn decrease the chance of gly involve in the net play
    that's why they lost to natsir/partner in mas gp gold(not sure which tournament)

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Consistency is the key, if they keep playing well, and reaching QFs of SS tournaments and winning/finalists of GP gold tournaments, then they will be going to OG12, however I dont think they have much chance of winning OG.

8. undeadshot

Congratulations, they produced another upset by beating Hendra/Vita in the first round of the HK Open. However, they should not only aim for INA XD, but rather CHN XD should be the ones they should place full focus on to beat. Second round's opponents might even be tougher than today although they are not seeded.

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Take it one step at a time... beating INA XD is really a big accomplishment... They should now aim to beat the KOR XD.... Don't talk about CHN XD yet... they are light years ahead of the rest of the world... BOLEH :)

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Which Korea XD? Ko/Ha? LHJ retired, so have to wait & see if LYD or Shin get new XD partner. CPS/GLY already beat Yoo/Kim during this year's BAC.
    In terms of INA, the test is whether they can beat Lilyana/Tantowi, the current strongest INA XD

11. undeadshot

I consider Fran/Pia stronger than HenVit. Let's see ;)

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm
    beat world number 2 and 2nd seeded in ss is quite a upset
    about the should and shouldn't
    that made no different,they should aim to beat anyone if they want to be better
    beat china xd and lost to others else easily also mean nothing

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

What surprises me was how fast this 3-games match was played - in 37 minutes

After defeating Hendra/Vita, the No.2 Seed, (21-14, 15-21, 21-16), CPS/GLY should be feeling more confident now.

What surprises me was how fast this 3-games match was played - in 37 minutes.

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    My advice is one game at a time. Always analyse your next opponent. Don't think too far. ;) Well done! ;)

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    goh/chan vs zhang/zhao

just finished watching the match

win points:goh 2 times>chan
    lost points(unforce error):chan>goh

if cps perform on par with goh,then we might witness a rubber set
    only if chan peng soon stop md,or else they will find it hard to go further in high level tournament

16. undeadshot

Heard GLY is a very impressive player at the net but falls short on defence ;) I think FranPia is harder than HenVit, so they must jia you ar..!

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Hendra/Vita aren't a good XD pair, despite the fact they are seeded #2, they never get past the 2nd round of SS tournaments, there is about 10-15 pairs better than Vita/Hendra. I think Vita should find a new partner.:)

Good luck to Chan/Goh, they should have a decent chance for the next match.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Here, we can find CPS/GLY's results

I am surprised that you consider Hendra/Vita not a good XD pair. :confused::confused::confused:

Here, we can find Hendra/Vita's results;
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/profile/matches.aspx?id=746E3179-22D2-48F8-82A4-BCA9E472A954

And here, we can find CPS/GLY's results;
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/profile/matches.aspx?id=3E1CDEED-38B5-482D-8A60-5C07E4F39549

And they last met on 24-Jun-2009, Malaysia Open GP Gold, when Hendra/Vita defeated CPS/GLY with scores of 21-13, 21-16.

#18 chris-ccc, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if they cant clear the 2nd round of ss
    that is imposible that they can be ranked world number 2
    lol
    and they advanced to at least quater final in all the super series they participated except this hk ss
    please check the data
    peace

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I just don't think they are as good, as they're ranking would suggest, you would expect them to be winning SS tournaments, or even getting to the finals, but they haven't done that. Fair enough, they are getting to the QF of these tournaments, but if you look at the entry list, there isn't many Chinese or Koreans pairs if any. I think that they would be maybe a top 15 pair, maybe 10 but not #2.