String Tension in Relation to Shaft Stiffness

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by odmar_nl, Dec 6, 2010.

1. odmar_nl

odmar_nl Regular Member

I've read a few posts around the forum about string tension, shaft stiffness and the relation between the both, but haven't had my question seen answered.

My question is: is there any reason to string a medium flexible (or even more flexible) racket with high string tension or is this counterproductive?

When I play with a stiff racket, stringing up to higher tensions gives more control, when a player has enough power. The same rule applied with shaft stiffness, a player with more power can produce more power through a stiff shaft. Players with less power choose lower string tension and racket stiffness to compensate for the lack of power.

So why would I string a medium flexible racket with string tensions up to, for example, 27 lbs? Is this productive or not and what exactly is the relation between string tension and shaft stiffness. How do they influence eachother?

Thank you in advance for any answers!

2. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I have strung my panda precision at anywhere from 26 to 29.
    It feels really good at 28-29, but only if you hit it dead center. Right now it's at 26 on Zymax 62 and it feels fine.
    The Precision is a medium stiff shaft.

I also have a Ti-10 3rd gen with Zymax at 26lbs also. It get more power than the panda, but it is a more head heavy racquet. Haven't tried an ultra stiff racquet yet, but to me I like all the racquets I have in the 26 lbs range regardless of shaft stiffness. I think for me it's more of a function on how forgiving is the size of the sweet spot.