User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you look at the major golf manufacturers they are all into customisation. Someone buying a new set of clubs would never buy off the shelf they would buy something completely fitted to their own game and to the styles they like:

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/lowerl...l?IsPopUp=0#70

Lots of other sports (biking, tennis to some extent) offer these options so surely it would be worth badminton going down this route??

I would definitely pay that little bit more for my own customised racket!!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should ask yourself why it's not around in a sport like tennis already with that much more money flowing around ... (unlike bikes and golfclubs a racket is a one piece shaft and "club" that you can't pick up of the shelf and "customize" by putting the different parts together). Although I am reading something about Bosworth tennis, seem to remember seeing those before ... And Vantage custom but it's the same principle as Taylor Made ... let's call it semi-custom . Not much different from just producing all combo's and give them model names.
    Last edited by demolidor; 12-08-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nuances, nuances ... I guess if you can prototype a given frame with different shafts like in the Panda Power Revelation testing process it's not a big step to commercialize it(?). Should be interesting enough to compare with the Bosworth process ...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing some pics of the equipment involved in the production in that link given on page 1 I can imagine how it's not profitable to offer customization to the single consumer. It would take ages to earn back the investment and it's too time consuming for the big manufacturers ...
    Going back to tennis none of the main brands offer it and I'm still not sure how Bosworth does it but seems more like customizing with lead, etc rather than true customisation from the material onward.

If you want a romantic picture of customisation you'd think of something akin to a samurai sword maker crafting your baddy racket .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering about custom Badminton or Tennis racket at one point too. I assume there are a lot more technology went into a racket than a Billiard Cue. Plus the material might be harder to manufacture then a cue too.

Judging price from a custom cue. It is from $800usd and up to $2,000usd or even more like 4K to 6K. If there were custom rackets out there, then you will not be looking at a price that is just "a little bit more" than a factory racket.

If there were custom rackets. I am pretty sure it will start from Tennis first before Badminton since there are more money from Tennis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bosworth tennis looks quite interesting; I like the fact that they "fit" you for your racket by taking various bits of info from you. Not too sure about the look of the rackets though!

Donnay USA tennis have started doing some form of self customisation that looks quite interesting although I don't think its the full "build your own racket".

Could a reason that there isn't anything out there for badminton be because its a retail outlet driven market? The major manufacturers sell into retailers who sell onto the consumer; you couldn't do this with custom products as every racket would need to be built separately.

If I could build my own I would go for: 85g - X Stiff shaft - Head Light - Isometric Head - 675mm long - Silver and Black cosmetic - No harm in dreaming!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi tommygun11 (cool username!)

Sounds like you may be interested in the Revelation which is produced by the Panda. You can specify the BP and weight which Sir Dink usually gets pretty near to.

See these links

http://www.dcbadminton.net/revelation.htm

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ght=revelation

Cheers

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun11 View Post
    If I could build my own I would go for: 85g - X Stiff shaft - Head Light - Isometric Head - 675mm long - Silver and Black cosmetic - No harm in dreaming!!
    in your opinion, what is the difference between that, and a nanospeed 9900, apart from colour?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think the Nanospeed is head light?? You would also be paying a huge premium for a mass produced product because its got the Yonex name on it??

Alpinerock: thanks for the info, I've read a bit on the Panda Power link (theres plenty to read!!); it looks like a good concept although I'm sure you will agree its not the complete customisation service?

Donnay Tennis USA look like there starting to do something along the customisation route which looks really interesting.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think the Nanospeed is head light?? You would also be paying a huge premium for a mass produced product because its got the Yonex name on it??

Alpinerock: thanks for the info, I've read a bit on the Panda Power link (theres plenty to read!!); it looks like a good concept although I'm sure you will agree its not the complete customisation service?

Donnay Tennis USA look like there starting to do something along the customisation route which looks really interesting.
    Do you mean that weight/balance system? I suspect that's what they do at Bosworth as well as they seem experts in that area and it's much more common in tennis to modifiy with lead/weights ... The effect (of changing bp) is not much different from messing around with your grip and adding strips of athletic tape on top of your badminton frame but it's all added weight. You could call it cutomizing but it's hardly taking this frame and adding this shaft and paint it in this pattern with those colours ... You could probably do it with those that have external t-joints ( a good point you mentioned regarding retail driven btw)
    I don't think a dry NS9900 3U weighs 85gr; Apart from weight, NS8000 old colour would come quite close (although over time I've started to prefer the new colour)

Maybe if your lucky there is one out there that is 85gr since 3U is still a weightrange after all and perhaps there are a few that didn't need to be balanced out with extra weight inside the handle (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...=1#post1582538)
    Last edited by demolidor; 12-10-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you were to order your customized racket from "badmintonOEM" you'll need to pay for 100 pieces. Also panda power isn't a complete customisation service because all we do as the racket buy is think about what stiffness he/she wants then picks the bp/weights. Dinkalot is the one doing the customizing to make the products not us.

So if you do want to make your own rackets try contacting http://www.badmintonoem.com/main.html

Maybe I'll ask to see if they can make me a ultra stiff woven racket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent them an email just out of interest and initial quote came back asking for 1000 pieces! I guess they get emails all the time so try and scare a few away!!

I think there would definately be a market in the UK for the complete customised racket designed solely by the individual...........shame no manufacturers want to make them!

Surely there would be a market for it in other regions? Has anyone even attempted contacting the large manufacturers such as Yonex and Li Ning about whether they would consider making one off frames??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone. Just joined Badminton Central - what a fantastic place! Been playing my whole life to a fairly high standard but never knew about this little gem. Was reading the above with some interest as I've always thought the technology claims made by manufacturers - 25% this and 35% that - were potentially false. I also play tennis and the claims are even more exaggerated. In my opinion, carbon, for the foreseeable future will be what rackets are made of. Adding nano-tubes, titanium, d30, aerogel, basalt etc I don't think really makes a difference - it's just a sprinkling added to the resin system during manufacture is what someone told me. For me it's all about the right specs and as Tommy Gunn says maybe manufacturers should start to look at how they manufacture and not what they manufacture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know of a couple of tennis manufacturers that do something of the sort. Vantage tennis and Bosworth both produce frames to your specification (within a certain range). It has to be said though, they are far from custom in that they aren't really bespoke frames - they are based on set moulds meaning that you don't have unlimited scope for customising the head shape, beam width or stiffness. Sure there are options but it isn't a completely custom treatment. I believe the weight and balance were customised with lead tape and you certainly wouldn't have any say in the construction but for a little over the asking price of most big brand off the shelf frames, Vantage wasn't a bad deal. Bosworth on the other hand charges a vast amount of money for almost the same service although it was run (up until recently) by Warren Bosworth who is something of a demi-god when it comes to racket customisation.

I just cannot see it ever being feasible to produce rackets that are completely tailored to individuals. Even a minimum order of ten, which sounds like quite a lot of identical rackets to own, is far too small for manufacturers to even entertain the idea. The more we reduce the amount of customisation down from "anything goes", the more feasible the idea becomes but the less attractive the proposition is. If you can find somewhere that will do anything like the initial "anything goes" bespoke rackets in small quantities, you can certainly put my name on the list for some but I really doubt you will find anywhere.

Another thing to consider is doing what Dinkalot has done (very well might I add) and design a racket that you like and that you think will be popular with others. That way, you get the benefit of having a racket that you want and although you'd need to order a large quantity, you could market and sell a lot of them, perhaps even making some money in the process. Of course, in reality it was nowhere near that easily for Dinkalot and he put an awful lot of work in to the original Panda Power racket models and continues to work hard on his latest range. My personal tastes in rackets are generally far too weird for many people to like them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What sort of money were Bosworth tennis charging for a "custom racket"? I don't really think adding a bit of lead tape here or there is real customisation of a frame.......more adapting an existing frame if that makes sense?

I agree that I would be at the front of the queue if there was somewhere you could build your exact frame for badminton (or tennis come to mention it!)

I had a look at Vantage tennis and again it looks a bit like adding lead tape here and there which doesn't really suit badminton, also only a couple of pretty boring colour options.

What strange spec would you go for then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What sort of money were Bosworth tennis charging for a "custom racket"? I don't really think adding a bit of lead tape here or there is real customisation of a frame.......more adapting an existing frame if that makes sense?
    I've just browsed around a tennis forum to refresh my memory and it seems that you can expect to pay in the region of $500 (USD) per frame. Warren Bosworth was a legend of the tennis customisation world and did work for a lot of pros so I think you were paying for the name quite a bit.

The strange spec I'd go for would be extremely head heavy, extra stiff (I think about 8.0 or 7.5 on the SOTX scale) and reasonably weighty. There isn't anything that fits my requirements exactly but it seems that SOTX are bringing out something that's pretty close. As for customising rackets to those specs, it's difficult to find something light enough to customise with enough stiffness to play well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think custom rackets will ever become popular, there is a racket out there that will fit 99% of peoples taste and requirements, furthermore, peoples styles and taste in rackets requirements and specifications change all the time. So in the long run, I think it will be expensive and not cost effective with custom rackets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast