User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    I don't think custom rackets will ever become popular, there is a racket out there that will fit 99% of peoples taste and requirements, furthermore, peoples styles and taste in rackets requirements and specifications change all the time. So in the long run, I think it will be expensive and not cost effective with custom rackets.
    The rackets that are out there to fit everyons needs are mainly sold on marketing. The majority of the frames are sold as weighing between a variance of +/- 6 grams and the shafts rarely have different flexibility ratings. You are told that a racket weighs a certain amount or has a certain flex etc but the measurements are rarely correct. That is why the pro players use their own "customised" frames with the cosmetic of a new frame.

I really think somewhere where you could build your own racket to your exact spec (in theory like the top pros do with their sponsors) would really be popular!

Does anyone know how much the pro players rackets differ from what the marketing tells us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun11 View Post
    Does anyone know how much the pro players rackets differ from what the marketing tells us?
    In the case of YY pro players rackets, they are handpicked out from production units to players weight & balance point preference and tagged. Hence the running production shaft number and special cone code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely that is proof enough that the rackets from brands like Yonex and Li Ning sell their frames via marketing not through the actual spec of the racket?

If there was something out there that would allow the general public do similar it would be fantastic. Thats the route the golf world took as 10 years ago it was only pro players who could get the manufacturers to spec their clubs to them; now everyone is designing their golf clubs to suit their own game.

Does anyone think that physical attributes such as height, weight, strength etc should influence what sort of racket someone buys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommygunn I think its all about personal preference and if badminton can follow golf and begin to change the way the factories pump out mass production rackets and move them into a more customised approach ensuring the price to the consumer doesn't increase markedly, then I think this can only be a good thing.

Reference Yonex and Li Ning, I think players are beginning to understand the professionals don't play with off the shelf product. Look at Nathan Robertson, his racket looks like a mold Carlton used in 2006 for the airblade series that featured the ATC system. I've got to say this frustrates me slightly as all racket manufacturers are effectively hoodwinking the public.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're not hoodwinking the public any more than the public allows themselves to be hoodwinked.

I think the quality and performance of rackets as it stood 5-7 years ago is perfectly fine for 90% of players out there. What's happening now though is that companies are focusing on improved materials and various cross-sectional profiles that aren't improving racket performance as much as their marketing departments are saying them are - especially for average players.

I think there's definitely a market out there for high end custom rackets - the problem is that the manufacturers are so geared up for mass production on a huge scale, they can't see how customisation would work.

It would take someone to build a custom manufacturing plant from scratch for custom rackets to be a reality - it's not going to come from existing factories or companies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you in all you say Maklike however you have to remember 99% of the consumers out there aren't as close to the sport as you and I are and as such have to believe what they're being told. Its ot just badminton, it happens across all sports sectors and more than likely non sport sectors as well.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but there are many players out there for whom USD200-250 for a racket doesn't even make a noticable difference to their weekly paycheck, so say USD400 for something totally custom wouldnt be out of the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem is that badminton rackets only take one hit with a partner to blow away your $400-500 bucks. You don't get that danger with the other sports for custom equipment. I have broken a MP99 by hitting the cork HARD with the frame at 26 lbs tension.

With the other equipment you are pretty much guaranteed a long playing life assuming you don't do something stupid like club the floor with the tennis racquet or toss your golf clubs into a lake (but you COULD still get that one back).

Unless you are sponsored I don't think it's worth it given the dangers of breakage. It's like buying carbon fiber fenders and doors for your daily driver/track car just to save weight, but all it takes is one shopping cart to toss away $1k+.
    Last edited by dimcorner; 01-14-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the sooner the wider sporting public become aware that they are paying mainly for the marketing of a product the more likely a full customisation brand will appear. I'm sure people would rather pay a premium for something they have designed to suit their own game than paying a premium for someone famous to use a racket that isn't even the same as the one they are being sold!

I think whenever you pay for a premium product you run the risk of breaking it, especially in badminton.

As racket manufacturers seem to have reached a point where only marketing will now is there any other progression other than a completely customisable racket?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why I went from Yonex to Panda. It's priced well for the performance that it gives you and you get to pick (within a range) on your specs. Not FULL custom, but at least you have some choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had a look at the way Panda is doing things and it looks great as a service to people "in the loop" but doesn't really benefit the wider public. Does anyone think there is scope for a manufacturer to stock an amount of heads of varying shapes, shafts of different flex, different weight heads and shafts etc etc and then put the various components together once someone "builds" their own spec?

I just don't see how the major manufacturers can progress their products beyond customisation?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dimcorner View Post
    Unless you are sponsored I don't think it's worth it given the dangers of breakage.
    It might not be worth it......to you....but that hardly qualifies as legitimate market research.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had a look at the way Panda is doing things and it looks great as a service to people "in the loop" but doesn't really benefit the wider public.
    A Custom Brand isn't going to 'benefit the wider public' either, because they're going to cost more than a standard high-end offering.

Does anyone think there is scope for a manufacturer to stock an amount of heads of varying shapes, shafts of different flex, different weight heads and shafts etc etc and then put the various components together once someone "builds" their own spec? I just don't see how the major manufacturers can progress their products beyond customisation?
    Don't you mean 'progress beyond mass production'?

They can't - like I've said many times, current companies are not set up for customisation, don't understand it, and aren't interested in it.

It would take a brand new start-up to start a fully custom made racket company.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3