Racket Customisation?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tommygun11, Dec 6, 2010.

1. tommygun11

tommygun11 Regular Member

Does anyone know of anywhere that will allow you to build and customise your own racket to your exact specification?

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to build your own racket to your exact spec?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

see the big bad panda thread. that is about as close as you will get tbh.

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Not unless you're willing to order a minimum of 100 pcs.
    Plus it's not as easy as you think - you can't just say "right, I want the shaft from the AT900, the frame from the Arc-Z, and the same weight/balance as the AT700". Those might all be great features of their respective rackets, but put them all together in the same racket, and it could be a disaster. As Dinkalot will tell you, it's all about synergy.

4. tommygun11

Yeah I agree regarding putting different aspects of different racket together. I was thinking more along the lines of choosing the weight of your racket, the balance, stiffness etc then getting it "made for you".

Surely that would be the ideal way of customising your own racket?

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you buy a hundred I'm sure they'll do it for you ;). It is not cost effective to do just the one ... besides isn't pretty much every combo imaginable covered by all the different brands and models? You just have to find out which one ... and as has been mentioned above the Panda Power ones alow you to pick from different weights and balance points and with the different models different degrees of stiffness are available as well to the gram and mm ...

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

what exactly are you looking for ? I am pretty sure we could help out and recommend something that is close to you prefered characteristics.

7. what07

what07 Regular Member

Sotx weighs and measures the BP of there rackets as well if I remembered correctly.

Just curious who would u contact to make custom rackets anyways? Google seach doesn't come up with much.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

But do they label them individually to the gram and mm? ;)

9. what07

what07 Regular Member

Don't they also come with a label? Notsure heard it from someone before.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

might want to ask noppy that question.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

No need ... ;) Somehow I often think of Kason instead :eek: (must be from the time things were Kason sponsored around here)

#11 demolidor, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  12. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    The problem is that all manufacturers are set up to do production, not custom. The Quality Control on them is also not as good as you might think (hence the "U" rating tolerance). While your average racket might only cost USD25 to make, it's completely reliant on making 100's of the same racket in the one go for these large manufacturers to make a profit.

The other issue is, is that say you had a facility to make custom rackets at the same quality as say aerospace or high end bicycles.....would you be prepared to pay USD500 for a racket?

13. what07

what07 Regular Member

Depends on the racket :rolleyes:

But high end bicycles also have there weight problems, why do you think most manufractures don't put the total weight of there bikes on there website? Some only put the frame weight because most of the components and the bike quality control limit the accuracy of the weight.

I also think that a highend bicycle has some similarities as a high end badminton racket. There is weight difference between 2 models of the same bike. e.g

I have 2 Giant NRS Composites with the same component setup and one weighed 24lbs and the other about 23lbs.

14. raksasa.gorgon

raksasa.gorgon Regular Member

Full Time Badminton Player
  15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

See: "The problem is that all manufacturers are set up to do production, not custom. The Quality Control on them is also not as good as you might think (hence the "U" rating tolerance). While your average racket might only cost USD25 to make, it's completely reliant on making 100's of the same racket in the one go for these large manufacturers to make a profit." ;)

16. tommygun11

There are lots of different specs throughout the various manufacturers but nowhere that allows you to completely customise every aspect of your racket.

Take cosmetics for example; wouldn't it be good to have the specs and cosmetics designed by yourself so you had a completely unique racket built to suit your own game?? Surely plenty of people would pay that little (or quite a lot) more for this sort of service?

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

18. tommygun11

If you look at the major golf manufacturers they are all into customisation. Someone buying a new set of clubs would never buy off the shelf they would buy something completely fitted to their own game and to the styles they like:

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/lower...itting/customfittingoptions.html?IsPopUp=0#70

Lots of other sports (biking, tennis to some extent) offer these options so surely it would be worth badminton going down this route??

I would definitely pay that little bit more for my own customised racket!!

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You should ask yourself why it's not around in a sport like tennis already with that much more money flowing around ... (unlike bikes and golfclubs a racket is a one piece shaft and "club" that you can't pick up of the shelf and "customize" by putting the different parts together). Although I am reading something about Bosworth tennis, seem to remember seeing those before ... And Vantage custom but it's the same principle as Taylor Made ... let's call it semi-custom ;). Not much different from just producing all combo's and give them model names.

#19 demolidor, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Nuances, nuances :p ... I guess if you can prototype a given frame with different shafts like in the Panda Power Revelation testing process it's not a big step to commercialize it(?). Should be interesting enough to compare with the Bosworth process ...