Professional Players' Diet and Nutrition

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Dec 6, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Today, Tuesday 7-Dec-2010, I read this thestar article - BAM’s reason for Lee Chong Wei’s failure to beat Lin Dan is as plain as day - found located at;

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/12/7/sports/7570145&sec=sports

====== * ====== Start: Parts of the article ====== * ======

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) believe they have ‘uncovered the truth’ behind world No.1 Lee Chong Wei’s inability to get the better of Lin Dan.

They concluded that Chong Wei is not as fit and fast as the China shuttler.

The BAM feel that unless the Malaysian improves on his sustaining power on court, he will continue to struggle to overcome his nemesis Lin Dan.

BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai said that Chong Wei’s coaches had been asked to take another look at his fitness training programme.

“We discussed in depth Chong Wei’s loss to Lin Dan. He played well and had some tricks up his sleeves, especially with his deceptive chops. But, in the rubber game, it was obvious that Chong Wei simply ran out of gas,” said Chin Chai.

“He has to be fitter in order to match Lin Dan. The coaches will work together with the NSI (National Sports Institute) staff to help him last longer on court.”

====== * ====== End: Parts of the article ====== * ======

Having watched some of the many LCW-vs-LD matches, I agree that LCW usually appeared more tired than LD at the end of their matches.

I believe that LCW is as fit as LD. Some even say that LCW trains harder than LD.

But why does LCW usually get tired earlier than LD?

Badminton is a physically demanding sport that requires lots of energy. I wonder how much BAM (and/or other National Associations) are paying attention to the scientific approach to diet and nutrition?

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Hmm, powerful? Unless LCW is an army in Mas as well. But sadly during his time NS training in mas doesn't exists yet.:D

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Unless LCW is in an army in Mas as well

Heard that the many National Service training camps in Malaysia are not that tough anyway. ;););)

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

If its tough, mas will have many Lin Dan;)

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I believe that LCW is just too skinny

Returning to LCW's diet and nutrition, I believe that LCW is just too skinny, with almost no fat at all. Just muscles and bones. Perhaps, he is the skinniest player participating in tournaments at the moment.

Just look at this photo that you've posted (in Post #4541);

Attached Files:

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Having little or no excessive fat, cannot really be a "bad" thing :) However it is a well known fact for martial artists, strenght athletes etc. that you build muscles more effetively if allowing fat as well (at least in the buildup phase). Maybe LCW needs some better periodization in his training. with periods doing less hardcore stamina/cardio and more muscle/explosiveness buildup. But his current control-type and defense/counter play-style is perhaps optimized by being as light and lean as possible.

/Twobeer

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Calories burned while playing Badminton

I would think that;

* If playing a 1-game match, it could be excellent.
    * If playing a 2-games match, it might be ok.
    * If playing a 3-games match, he may not have enough calories to burn.

BTW, some might be interested to know this;
    Calculator: Calories burned while playing Badminton

http://www.flashmavi.com/nutrition_calories_badminton.shtml

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

This is an interesting thread with a lot of information. :)

I don't know about styles of training, but is it perhaps true that LCW simply needs more rest? Especially closer to big tournaments. As cardio-vascularly fit as he is, there is no reason to do extreme CV exercises in the days leading up to a tournament. Strength exercises, likewise, should not be reaching for new heights at those times, but should focus on maintaining tone and giving time for healing.

Surely professional trainers, kinesiologists, etc., know so much more than I. Yet at a recent tourney I recall seeing LYD/JJS come on to court for their final absolutely dripping with sweat. The commentator said it was the Korean way to have a grueling 2 or 3 hr training session just beforehand. To what end? They started out strong but then wilted like overcooked bok choy and lost.

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    the site you refer to has ridicilous estimates. I usually use heart-rate monitor and controlled conditions when performing badminton training. And if we use multishuttle drills for 1 hour the calorie expediture is about 1.200 kcal or more. the calculator on http://www.flashmavi.com/nutrition_calories_badminton.shtml gives something like 560 kcal for one hour badminton.. This may be true for very low-lvel players (or doubles only) but it would be ridicilous to beleive the 1h match betweeen LD and LCW that he only spent 500 kcal or something..
    These estimates are probably based on measurements from newbies plaing plastics in US of A :D

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To me, LCW looks under-nourished to last a 3-games hard-fought match

BTW, I am no expert in diet or nutrition. :eek::eek::eek:

To me, LCW looks under-nourished to last a 3-games hard-fought match. It's only a gut feeling.

I shall try to get our BC expert on nutrition, nutrioutlet, to comment.

#10 chris-ccc, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    wel I have seen marathon runners with less bodyfat than LCW that lasts a triathlon. I dont think you will benefit stamina-wise from having more bodyfat during the game (rather the opposite), you do however want your glucogen stores filled to the limit!!. what you may loose is the overall musclemass but less musle mass will consume less oxygene and increase stamina even more (at exspense of exploseiveness/endurance). That said the skinny look may well be a sign of OVERTRAINING where you break down fat AND muscle tissue.. It will provide greater stamina but less exposiveness.

/T

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I was thinking more of a healthier body for Badminton

Thanks. I think I understand what you have said.

Perhaps, I was thinking more of a healthier body for Badminton. :):):)

Let's compare to what we can see in animals. Let's look at the appearance of a good race horse. If well-fed (but not overfed) and well trained, this horse should sprint faster than a skinny horse. Hope you can see what I mean.

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good to keep it lean. Lighter can fly. haha. not like kkk. 3rd game gone case. ;)

among the top 4 teams, kkk is the weakest link in fitness I guess. ;)

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I see what you mean, and I agrre that LCW seems to expend more calories than what he is eating?!?! This is really noit a good idea if you want to maximize perfromance.. But I huess he is doing alright anyway :) But i dont think it is mainly a bodyfat issue, as you can have VERY low bodyfat precentage and be extrremely shredded and still look healthy :)

[​IMG]

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think this issue of body fat may have some substance. Just observe the china players like

Zheng Bo, Xie Zhong Bo, Zhang Zun, etc.etc. who could have imagined they can be such formidable opponents.

Australia should have some edge in this area of sports science judging by the high success rate in sports especially

aerobic/anaerobic sports like swimming.

Having said that, even China could still be on a learning curve, in the 2008 Olympics Basketball match between US and China for eg.
    the Americans were bouncing the china players around other than the ball. Then the sports commentatator commented that

in contact sports it was important to work on the gym most of the time rather than just playing ball.

Now before some naivete questions the relevance of this comment, it is an analogy to the issue.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well having more fat won't help him in a 3rd game at all, fat is burned way too slow for that. The problem I see with LCW is a slight lack of power in the upper body compared to LD - LD's shots (other than smash) always seem effortless, he seems very relaxed on court. He's probably conserving energy as much as he can - LCW seems to be very tense, always ready to jump at a surprising shot, but at the cost of expending more energy. Could be all wrong though, I'm no expert by any means :D

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Energy food from Weider

During matches, it's found that Lee Chong Wei is taking this energy food from Weider;

Attached Files:

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

And what does this do ?

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Energy food is to provide energy. :):):)

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Yeah but does it actually work ?