Respect: badminton players are athletes

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by prophet, Mar 18, 2003.

1. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    The other day I was playing mixed d with some friends and a young lady in our group said she asked her boyfriend to come play but he didn't want to. When I inquired why, she mentioned that he didn't like badminton too much and would rather play basketball, i.e. badminton wasn't "man" enough or "hard" enough for him.

I told her point blank that badminton is probably one of the hardest and most physically demanding sports I have ever played. And I've played plenty.

IN fact at one point or another in my life, I've competed (on club levels/tournaments) in football, baseball, basketball and volleyball. I've played golf, tennis, racquetball, you name it. But right now, I'm totally on this badminton kick. I've only been playing for about 7 months, and I've loved every minute of it. I think you get just as good a workout in badminton as you do in the gym. And don't ever tell me its not a "manly" or "hard" sport. I'm sure as you all can attest to, the competition and matches are intense. And a shuttle coming straight at your throat at 150mph isn't exactly a walk in the park.

So I wanted to make a point that badminton players are indeed athletes, and finely conditioned ones at that. And I wanted to give out proper respect to all you badminton athletes out there who frequent this site. I've also appreciated and enjoyed all the great tips in this forum; its really helped me improve my skills. And lastly, if you have any similar stories to share such as above, do tell.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A lot of ppl, especially some "narrow minded" guys, only judge sports by "how much muscle" the athletes have. Therefore, most major sports are being accepted, and boxers could be treated like heros (do i have to metion M. Tyson still can get $5 mil or so, for a fight / act last less than 5 min?). Some so-call "pro" wrestlers (the ones show on prime time TVs) are heros, too, but a lot of them actually just low lvl cheap actor / actress (Like a 7 ft big muscle guy beat others in head for 10 consecutive shots, opponent not dead yet, even not bleeding).

Since badminton players do not ONLY focus on muscle development (too much muscle will slow down movement), then, u know...

well, very sad, but true...

3. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    obviously, people aren't looking at a pro badminton player's thighs.... at least if they're looking for muscle.....

as for difficulty, badminton is physically and mentally demanding.... and training is very rigorous compared to most sports... it's just that since people don't see many good players, they automatically assume they are good at it....

4. patrickshum

patrickshum Regular Member

Network Planner
    too bad for them, they're missing out one of the best sport on Earth!:D

5. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    yup - if only more men were pin-ups for girls - maybe then we would get some respect. so many of my girlfriends loved to come and watch me play, they all said i had nice legs :D

sadly the wild animal on court was a bit too scary for them when i came off court

Neil

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

True, but I guess everyone has their own tastes.

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    lots of people that i play with say "i get more exercise from footbal/rugby/hockey" thats because in that you can run about chasing the ball aimlessley with out a clue what to do all day and get completeley knackered.how ever in badminton you cant chase the shuttle around all day cause it moves too quickly, you only get a proper exercise from badminton,when you learn about the movement and tactics and get a feel for what you are doing,which takes a lot longer than other sports.

if we go with a few players that dont know about these tings but can play a bit they could smash and clear to each other for hours, get tired and think they had a good time and not learn any thing. In some sports people simply play for exercise not love of the game,in badminton people think they dont get exercise cause the shuttle moves too quick,so we lose these people.

also badminton players are not simply focussed on the pace and power game as in other sports (tennis-williams sisters) they require even more so delicate touches so you hardly make any effort,the real legends of this game are the ones who combine and seamlessly transfer this power to delicacy into the game,that is not simply a power athletic part,it requires a cool head,brains and the brawn. once you know the way to play badminton then you can take it as easy or hard as you like,transfering easy and harsh play at the right moments dictates the winners,enjoy your badminton and try impart this to others so they can know and enjoy what we do.keep playing.james.

8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

just off the topic.... how fast can the shuttle actually travel when it is smashed? All I know is that the shuttle loses speed dramatically when compared to right after being smashed and just before it is received. I really want to know :) can anyone do the calculations?

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    sorry thay requires mathematical inteligence, ask the legend badminton forum guy who did all the calculations on string tensions cant remember but it was classic,i was stunned-any one get a link, i am going t osearch for it.

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    and then when i post i find that it is clickable,i should just give up!!

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I've played many sports, and badminton is definitely the most vigorous. Or maybe it's just my coach that's mean? LOL.

I mean, I can play 3 hours of netball or volleyball without feeling tired.
    After 2 hours of coaching, I'm more then ready to sleep. :D :D

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, every sports, if u just "participate" and dig out some fun, well, it won't be too tired. Like basketball, if I just stand still and shot, ok, I can hold on 3 hrs. But I won't play good D, going around pass and chasing for rebound. Also, like american football, if I just stand there, and wait for a "hell mary", well, u know...

Badminton is the same. If I standing still, try to catch several shot by luck, yeah... But if u want to play to the tourny lvl, good luck, my knee injury can tell how much work I paid off...

14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Lol. When I mean play I mean play. I'm usually the GD in netball, have to defend the net. lol. And in volleyball, I'll always have to serve...reason unknown. Lol.