who else want to see Chen Long win the HK open?

Discussion in 'China Open / Hong Kong Open / India GP 2010' started by zerosum88, Dec 9, 2010.

1. zerosum88

zerosum88 Regular Member

I have a hunch that Chen Long will dominate badminton for 5 years after LD retires. Right now, Chen Long is probably not as good as LD (although Chen Long beat LD in 2009), but Chen Long is one of the few who can put up a real fight with LD.

LD now is head and shoulder above the rest player. LCW is probably the second, but Chen Jin and Chen Long are close.

After those 4, there are Gade, TAUfic, Bao Chun Lai, a Japanese young player(who lost to LCW in the final of AE 2010), and bunch of young Chinese players.

2. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Not really. Sorry, but I think that watching Chen Long play is very boring. No doubt that he's good and all, but that doesn't mean that it's entertaining.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree on the style of Chen Long. Lin Dan on the outset back in early 2002/2003 already posses the dynamic style that he has today. style is like personality and don't change much. Chen Long's style is very straight forward and not very interesting to watch. kinda like CJ. but that doesn't mean it is not efficient, he might win more tournaments in the future as he matures but still, most people prefer to see players with more distinct character like LD, TH, and LCW.

4. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Exactly. LCW style is power and speed, TH is graceful, and LD is just super. Chen Jin was very boring to watch as well, but I think it's gotten more entertaining. Especially during the 2010 World Championships. In that tournament, his game play was very offensive, which makes it very entertaining to watch.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Taufik seems to have the right muscles in the right places,especially in the arms , probably by training.

China's players like Chen Jin and Chen Long are very conservative in their styles,it reminds me of the 80s when Russia

produced a player called Andre Antropov who shocked other players by playing a game based on low percentage shots and virtually

no mistakes, his emergence caused a lot of surprises in the world of Liem Swie King, Frost, etc. etc.

Wang Zheng Ming with his big hitting style is still struggling, so is Tago. After LD and LCW men's singles may be highly tactical

and not very exciting.

LCW's make up currently seems to have the best make-up for today's badminton,playing tournaments day in,day out.

6. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

I want him to win again......

7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

CL has got long reach (legs and arms) and he has the right combination of ingredients of both ChenJin (endurance + stamina) and BCL (long reach + sharp shots)... but he lacks the variations and killing instincts... nevertheless, he will rule the MS after LCW and LD retired...

He has overtaken his senior BCL and on par with CJ... indeed a rare and talented guy...

8. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    still early for win...
    but he can be a major force soon...2-3 years the longest
    or fastest,next year......

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

can our arif latif win him in 2-3 years?

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

You knew the answer before you asked...

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Arif Latif (same batch with Chen Long) want to focus on local tournaments (Kedah Open, Pahang Open, Perlis Open, etc...) and other masak masak games... :)

12. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Exactly! You hit the nail right on the head!

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Nobody know what will happen in 2-3 years..;)

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I dont know if I should discuss this, but if I were a junior and still have my "O" levels etc to clear,

I wouldn't want to end up a non-graduate by spending my time playing badminton around the world,

then after my playing days become a local coach for 2-3 K a month for the rest of my life, then I'll be addicted to Roti Canai and nasi lemak.

I think it may be relevant considering the high cost of living .As a rule, badminton success of a country goes up and down with the vibrance of the

economy. To expect players to sacrifice themselves for their country at the expense of their futures I think is wishful thinking.

China now is booming economically and can afford to take care of their players.

15. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

that is a very interesting point of view... and i am pretty sure, an opinion that is also shared by misbun.. ...

masak masak to one person. .but might be a path of survival for someone else....

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Let's not continue on this as this thread is meant to discuss Chen Long.Maybe someone can start a similar topic on career prospects

of badminton in msia, otherwise this thread will attract a lot of characters.

Suffice to say, that if I am a young hopeful I will choose to excel at a certain level and then drop out after.

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

In the boring or interesting aspect, I find the young Tian, 2009 WJC, more interesting. He can overtake Chen Long in a couple of years time & fight with Denmark's young Victor(2010 WJC) for titles, then we will have interesting matches to watch.
    Meanwhile....after 2012, there's Chen Jin + youngsters Chen Long, Wang ZM, Gong,Du PY, other countries -Simon, Tago, PSH...not interesting.

#17 eaglehelang, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

What ? I thought he was just got beaten by one unknown player from Tpe in recent Chn Tpe International Challenge or a small tournament ........CMIIMW !

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i hope he meets LCW in the Final, as he fought hard to beat LHI in the QF..but first, he has to get over Taufik in the Semis..

*jasonmarc, CL didn't participate in any CHN TPE International Challenge tourney; you might be thinking of someone else..CL's last loss in an international tourney was in this yr's Japan Open SS to Boonsak P. ;)
    Is this the CHN TPE tournament you're referring to??..
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...aohsiung-International-Challenge-2010-1-5-Dec
    http://tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=B5440CAD-CB0C-4481-9D34-C69A970CB485&draw=1 (MS Draw)

#19 ctjcad, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Oh, chris........I was talking about Arif..........I quoted George's post about Arif. Thanks !