My Baby!!!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by boyboy, Mar 19, 2003.

1. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    My baby got hurt!!!! not wasting my time typing out how it felt but everyone knows when their racket "cracked"....

anyway... just wanna ask experienced ppl bout the crack on my racket....
    just a paint crack? any internal injuries? da da da da

ok... if it's there's some sort of internal injury, how long will my racket last..
    I'm now kinda afraid to play with it coz i have no idea how will it crack given that there's internal injury... wut if i smash and the racket head just flew to the other side of the net??!!!

ok... fingers cross and hopefully it's nothing serious...

Attached Files:

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Well, recently (2-3 weeks ago), I clashed racquets with a Yonex Isometric 97VF and there was a pretty deep paint chip where you can see the graphite. I figured it would be okay but unforunately, the next time I saw him it started to crack. My Black Knight 865 Rapier didn't even have a chip!

I don't know about your picture. I can't tell how deep that is.

Man, I don't know what happened other than the fact you could have tied it to the back of your car while driving.

Well, what can you do? You have really, no choice to play with it since it isn't a manufacture defect so if it breaks, then it breaks.

Yodums

3. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    that seems cut deep my friend, :( I guess save more money and buy another one is a better alternative for you

4. ronk

ronk Regular Member

When I had a crash with my Gossen on the day I bought the racket, there was a nasty paint chip about 1.5 inches long. I took it back to the shop a few days later to see whether the racket was broken or not. The manager removed the paint chip and did the bend test, where he held the racket and tried to bend the racket with maximum stress at the paint chip. The racket did not break nor did anything crack. The racket is fine with a big paint chip. You might want to try to bend the racket at the paint chip to see whether there is any internal damage. If there is damage to the graphite, you will see the crack get worse. Of course you are to remove the paint chip to check out the frame. At present, it might be possible to put some clear fingernail polish or some clear adhesive over the chip and hide the damage. If it gets worse, the racket will begin to bend or warp with play or there will be an increased visable crack. Nice MP 100! I rarely use my MP 99 because I am also afraid of head crashes.

Ron

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

That's the "test?" Man, pretty hard test to see your racquet break right infront of your eyes when you just got it the other day!

6. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    hmmm

well.. i did kindda bend it a few times... made a few hits with it... seems ok though....
    but... i think i'm gettin a new one... use this for trainning...

7. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Yes, the store manager was basically trying to break the racket and bending it very hard. I was getting worried it might break. It was sad to get a big chip on the day I bought the racket and it was a highend Gossen. The racket still plays well and I used it last Tuesday.;)

Ron

8. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    "bending it really hard?" how hard is that? ok now.. here's the story..... it was a club nite, last match is always the best one where we make our own game.

It was the best doubles that i could remember, with fast rallies, smashes.. etc
    in one rally.. we.. (my partner) clashed our racket... it was a very small clash... and we both paused for a second or so.. and of coz our opponents are still playing on... they made a drop... i lunges forward..... and it's those shots where it's base on luck, and i slaped my racket to get my balance... that's when i heard a "crack" sound.

it was a flat slapped to the ground.. not hard... but somehow the paint on the shalf cracks.... from the ultimate-ti all the way to the word MP... it took a very small layer of carbon but the shalf still looks normal.. just without the paint :p

I think i'll continue using it for trainning.... Oh ya.. i do feel it's a waste buying the same racket... i feel like trying out different types of rackets... wut do u ppl think? change or stick to old?

9. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Ouch... one of those shots. I would never EVER do that with my racket. I know when you're in a hurry of getting back to position after every shot, doing that decreases the lag time, but I'd rather not break a racket over that.

If you slap your racket on the ground frequently, I can understand why it broke the way it did. Simply material fatigue. The racket was not meant to be used as a stopper (I know the international players do it but I mean, they get sponsored and can afford to break as many rackets as they want/like)

Maybe especially for Ultimum Ti, because like Yonex claims, it's got taht extra "snap" to it :D

10. ~MC~

~MC~ New Member

Hi boyboy
    I suggest that you fix the racquet any way you can (Paint, Nail hardener,epoxy,etc...)
    Then use the racquet as you usually do (If you got to go, then go out with a Bang);)

11. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Pls be careful abt the splinters! I fyou do the besd test or anything like that make sure you wear a safety glass. It is really dangerous to play with carbon fibre material. be careful ....

12. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    good and bad news

good news is... my paint crack racket is still holding up after playing a few games with it, gonna get glue or something to stick the paint crack up.

bad news is... i bought another mp100 which coz Nz300 :( .. it's 2uG3. i wonder if the G3 grip is too big for me... hmm...

13. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Re: good and bad news

How much grip are you using? G3 isn't bad. Just use less grip if you think it is too big.

14. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I think that it is just a paint chip. If the shaft is cracked, you will see the crack get worse very quicky. You might want to try to put some glue/varnish/finger nail polish that will flex (not hard and brittle) over the paint chip to hold the paint. Good luck with the new MP 100. If I visit Asia this summer, I might get an MP 100 and TI 10.

Ron

15. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    wee.. new racket

weee.. got my new racket today... strung it with bg65ti (why because it comes with it) at 22lbs. oh by the way... I just realize that how fast the tension drop after stringging the racket.

My old racket was strung with bg68ti at 22lbs 8 months ago, and when i compare the pitch (sound) of the 2 racket, the difference was huge....

anyway.. now i got one new racket and an empty wallet. :(

16. Dim sum boi

Dim sum boi New Member

haha

awwww poor boy boy//lil mp100 is injured