questions 2.0

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, Dec 10, 2010.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    hi all !!i had improve many of my play now and now i'm trying to be more strategized in doubles! and i have some questions! (sorry lame opening still improving my essays >.<)

1.i know there is a panhandle grip but is there a good moment to use it? net? / net kill?
    2. how to change defensive to aggresive in badminton doubles? a clear? drop? i just can't find an oputuitinity to smash and be aggresive...~
    3.and during defense any tips? length of grip? type of grip? stance? ( post a link if plausible)

(ll these questions are for doubles)

thanks~~~~~~~~

2. Arcsaberz 5

Arcsaberz 5 Regular Member

Playing badminton
    im not a very good badminton player, but i recently watched some videos about ur question

1. for net kill, especially
    2.use dropshot/slice at net
    3.no answer..:D

3. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    You can look at the articles on www.badmintonbible.com and also on YouTube for demonstration videos. I have personally found them quite helpful in improving my technique.

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    1. Panhandle is really good at the net esp net kills. Really only time it is used.

2. This is more difficult. The best way is either a dink over the net when u defend the shuttle back or if ur being smashed at, you can drive it back flat which is a great shot when played well!!! This will help you get on the attack.

3. Defense, the grip shud be short for more accuracy and control. With the thumb on the largest flat bit of racket (backhand grip). Stance should be square on facing the attacker at all times and racket always out well in front at about waist height able to
    hit the low and high smashes.

5. malaysianfreak

student
    kays! thanks yal! hmm i was wondering if u'r playing net eg: slice can u use panhandle grip? and i did tried watching badmintonbible's video but it seems it need registration and paypal...and i don't know how to sub for trial >.<

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The panhandle grip is mainly useful when you're playing a forehand and the shuttle is well out in front of you. This typically happens at the net.

The best example of using a full panhandle would be playing a forehand push from the net into the midcourt.

It's also used to play backhand overhead shots in the rearcourt, when the shuttle has travelled behind you and you're under a lot of pressure. There are other applications too, such as playing backhand smash defence in singles where you are reaching wide and playing a cross-court block.

You need to make them lift (or clear) the shuttle. This creates opportunities for you to attack. Rather than just waiting passively for a chance, try to be active and create chances by making them lift.

When you're defending against smashes in particular, look for opportunities to play counter-attacking shots: blocks to the net, pushes to the midcourt, or drives to the midcourt/rearcourt. Basically, anything other than a lift.

See this page: which badminton grip for smash defence?

I would recommend a basic grip, and holding the grip short (for doubles defence). From here you can change to a backhand grip (not a thumb grip) when the smash comes to your backhand.

(The backhand grip is not on my site yet. It's coming soon. Sorry!)

Stance should be roughly square-on, facing the smasher. Keep a wide stance and be ready to move your feet.

#6 Gollum, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. malaysianfreak

student
    thanks gollum ! hmmm... is there any ways to start a drive? and ...er...i taught backhand grip is the old term for thumb grip?? o.o and what's the meaning of square on? others i understand and i will take note with my doubles partner!

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    good one you freak. testing gollums patience.. lol. ;)

9. malaysianfreak

student
    LOL! sorry man if it's offending to anyone if i asked too freaking many questions....my english sucks and i lacks a coach...sorry >.<

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    No worries... the coaches are still cracking their heads to reply to you. Be patient.. lol. ;)

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The technique varies depending on the situation. For example, drives from the net use a shorter hitting action.

The general idea is to reach the shuttle early and play an accurate, sharp shot. Accuracy is more important than power for drives.

It's a little confusing. "Backhand grip" used to mean "thumb grip", but not any more.

Badminton England seem to use the name "thumb grip" to cover a wide range of backhand grips. I don't think this helps, so I'm adopting part of the Danish system that includes a separate "backhand grip".

The backhand grip is much closer to the basic grip. The thumb tip is still placed on the wide bevel -- or on the edge between the wide and diagonal bevels -- but the angle in the hand is quite different.

I won't go into any more detail, as I'm about to add a page to the grips guide about this anyway, and also a video.

Your chest and body facing that direction. For example, if you are "square on" to the net, then your chest is facing the net and your feet are side-by-side (rather than one in front).

12. malaysianfreak

student
    oh! thanks !will take that in mind !! a little confused in square on but i think i understand...

and can anyone please teach me how to defend a smash / drive when it's (i am right handed )on my forehand side beside my head? it's the only part of my body that i never / can't defend it gives way too little space to move and when i lift my racket to defend it's way too late ....and because it's so close to my head i tend to dodge it...any advice?

#12 malaysianfreak, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  13. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    These 1s can be awkward but its about being fast and taking it early. Normally ur racket it out as about waist height waiting for the smash with the thumb grip. When the smash comes head height, u wanna hit it like a drive shot by moving ur hand towards it and keeping the elbow down (with same grip) and u push the shuttle or tap it either flat or down if possible.

A common error which i see done is players try and hit under the shuttle and upwards like if you are trying to clear a steep low smash but because the shuttle it head height, it means a awkward hit and a very short lift and a high 1 so ur opponent will kill it!!!!!!! U want to try and attack this shots.

I hope that makes sense, hard to explain in words lol

14. malaysianfreak

student
    woahhh sounds complicated...but i think i understand...thanks! had a game this morening and man....my game really deteorated so so so so bad...so bad i felt like quitting ...crap...i lost my ''feel''....so is there a way to gain back your game consitency? what do you do before a game? so that my feel will come back!

15. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    That happens all the time, don't worry. Just take it like any other bad day.

Tips:

-warm up proprerly
    -warm up shots
    -For the smash receiving on your forehand side: if it's close to the body (armpit to hip), I suggest backhand defense (might feel awkward at first though). You can check videos and see the pros do it for more details.

16. malaysianfreak

student
    ok! thanks big L4 maybe bad days do happen even though is very very frequent in my games...(my consistency is VERY VERY BAD...)...i just have to face it like a man and just enjoy the game as much as i can ...anyways what are the best WARM UP SHOTS? and what are dynamic strenching? i heard that word before but i don't know whre...hmmm

17. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    U ave got to remember and its the same with anything, u learn something new, u will get worse!!! It will prob take u prob a constant month or practice before you start getting it right and consistently right. I've had numerous times where I had to change footwork pattern or grip change.

I used a weird smash defense grip and I got a coach who changed it. It took me a month of constant pratcie before it felt right, before it got good. I was terrible in the first week, I felt like going back to my old grip but he told me if I get it right, my defense will be better so I stuck with it and I def has improved my game!!!

So work through it. It will come. Everytime you play, your learning!!! Esp when we play crap, we learn from it, we get better from it!!

18. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    Consistency comes with time, experience and pratice.

For warm up shots, you should make it a routine to, before starting a match, make alternated or consecutive drives, drops, clears, smash and netshots. Always start with drives: it warms up your wrist and forearm.

Dynamic stretching is stretching that doesn't involve keeping your tissues stretched for an extended period of time. The opposite is called static stetching. Keeping your legs stretched wide for a few seconds is an example of static stretching. Shooting your legs ups far multiple times is an example of dynamic stretching. Simply put, dynamic stretching involves movement, while static stretching requires immobility.

The advantage with dynamic stretching is that it doesn't negatively affect your muscles ability to contract as much as static stretching. The latter tends to keep your muscles too relaxed.

19. malaysianfreak

student

OK got it! learn like a sponge!

20. malaysianfreak

student
    oh! thanks ! so which steching is best for amateur play?