how do you catch the shuttle...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 1337-b4dminton, Mar 19, 2003.

1. 1337-b4dminton

1337-b4dminton New Member

Student
    hey, i've been playing badminton for about a month now (my user name is pretty contradictory) and i learned all the basic rules, techniques (the forearm technique etc.), and how to hit the shuttle. the only thing i cant do so far is to catch the dam birde in mid-air with your racket. for example: when your opponent misses a shot and lost the you got a point, your opponent needs to give the birde back to you. then he just slightly taps the shuttle over the net. how do you catch the ball with your racket from your opponent when he slightly hits the ball over? this may seem like something very trivial and easy to accomplish, but as you can see, i am pretty n00by to all this badminton stuff. i am also looking for a good beginner website where i can learn more. thnks fer any help you can give me! :)

#1 1337-b4dminton, Mar 19, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2003
  2. flipinese_azn

flipinese_azn Regular Member

none
    hi...i might be mistaken but u must mean..."craddling" or "cushioning" the birdie on the strings of your racket instead of grabbing it with your hands or letting it drop on your hand...this just seems more easier and less complicated...

well my way is having ur racket out pointed at the birdie with the face of the head of the racket pointing to the sides and not to the ceiling or the floor...this gives easier cushioning to the birdie when attempting to catch it...then when the birdie gets near ur racket head lightly brush the birdie and go in a motion where ur moving ur racket down at the speed of the birdie and by the time u get to ur waist or some where near that area cushion it...just as u would when u jump from a high surface and when u hit the ground u control ur impact by moving ur body weight downward to prevent shock to ur legs and a loud *bang*...

well i dont know if this has helped...maybe a bit confusing...i will try and make a diagram for u if u have some trouble still...

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

You basically cushion/support the bird on its way down. You let it drop and you hold your racquet vertically so the strings are pointing left and right then you do a C shaped figure with your racquet just that the curve on the "C" is on the floor.

It's rather hard to explain!

4. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    J shaped seems better :D

btw, because by cushioning the bird on its way down, you're basically matching its speed and slowly decreasing it, it'll take some to master it. Have someone show you! I always find that it's the fastest/easiest/best way to learn.

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Oh ya.. basically a hook .. sorry! :)

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

1337-b4dminton,

Just keep practicing it and once you've accomplished that, try backhand, forehand, backhand, forehand...just keep going, learn some control from that. I think it closely resembles a net drop in my opinion. Can you pick up the bird from the floor with your racquet yet? If you cant, keep practicing...

Are you still in highschool? If you are, what school do you go to?

7. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I think he's probably in grade 12 since his profile says he's 18 :)

8. 1337-b4dminton

1337-b4dminton New Member

Student
    yeah i'm still in high school. actually, i lied about my age. i'm really in 10th grade. i go to msj high school (the 5th best school in california!). OUR BADMINTON TEAM OWNS (i'm on JV badminton by the way)!!! anyways, all those varsity members on our team can do what you call "cushioning" hella well. they do that J-shaped swish to catch the birde, but i can't do it no matter how much i practice. the birde keeps on bouncing off and i end up having to use my hand to catch the birde. i am not very good at getting the birde off the ground either (with the racket). thanks for the feedback!! if any of you have a diagram on how "cushioning" works, feel free to post it! also, are there any good beginner / intermediate website i can learn more froom? thanks! :D :D :D

#8 1337-b4dminton, Mar 19, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2003
  9. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    delicacy is the key. btw, you dong hav to be good at badminton for you to be able to cushion with ease. a few months into the game I can pick up and cushion with ease. At that time, I could still barely hit the shuttle ;)

10. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    my way: let the bird make contact wif ur racquet...then juss bring ur racquet down wif the bird at the same speed until the bird stops

11. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Use an Egg!

first have some practice without racquet and shuttle - use your hand and a raw egg. toss the egg, and catch the egg without cracking it. your hand motion becomes one of absorbing the shock of the falling egg. If you don't cushion it properly it will crack the egg.

It's the same motion with the shuttle. In this case instead of the shuttle cracking - it bounces off.

12. ronk

ronk Regular Member

How good are people at cushioning the birdie with the racket anyway? I can do it but quite often I am not successful and the birdie falls to the ground. I can also scoop the birdie from the ground but I often get to be an idiot and keep scooping up the bird several times before I get it on my racket:eek: .

Ron

13. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Well, I'm pretty good at catching it. Sometimes I miss. As for scooping it, I usually do what you said at least once a night. Sometimes I do it 2-3 times before picking up the bird. LOL, the people on the court are just about to fall asleep when that happens :)

14. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I can catch, but I usually just bounce it off my racket and snatch it off the air with my left hand :D
    Catching takes too much effort :eek:
    I'd rather save those ATPs for duing game use ;)

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    A good practice drill as a feeder is to catch the smashed shuttle with your racquet. Give it a try sometimes. If you can control your racquet and reaction to catch the shuttle from a smash, you will be able to control return any smash.

16. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Yeah right:eek: !. Next thing is you want me to stand on the center line and get power smashers like Xia or Peter Rasmussen smash at the doubles alleys (unpredictably) and my task is to catch the birds with my racket 100 out of 100 times. If I could do that, I will be playing for the world championships:D.

Scooping up the little birdies from the floor leaves scratch marks on my rackets :mad:.

Ron

17. chan

chan Regular Member

i tend to have my racket perpendicular to the ceiling or floor, then i would sort of follow the bird as it comes down, i would start turning my racket to be parallel to the floor, sort of like making a J shape.

once you do it many times, you will be able to catch it many different ways, like without even turning the racket and just moving it up or down.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My suggestion is, don't go for those fancy shot, but just work on fundamental first.

Forget about powerful smash, and nasty "tictac" in front of the net, there are much more things before doing powerful / fancy shots.

For now, I think concentrating in "tapping" shuttle (bouncing around, don't laugh, this is will give a the basic idea of "hand feeling" and easy defense). Also, working on swing / tapping timing, by hitting against wall (stand 3-5 ft away from the wall, hit shuttle, and try not let bird hit the ground, sounds easy and boring, well try it...).

If possible, footwork is important, too. Try not to get a bad habbit about "only streching arm, but standing still" while hitting. Maybe complicated "combo" footwork is too hard right now, but at least 1-2 side step, back-step are worth to get used with.

19. chan

chan Regular Member

lol, very good advice, but i dont think that is what he was lookiing for =P

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I see.

Actually, as a beginner for 1 month, his question are way too "good" (smash, net play,etc) for his lvl right now. It's like, how to teach a baby to run before he even knows how to walk.

Then, I would rather let ppl start from ground zero for now.