How to bring ur game to the next level?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gsrturbo, Dec 12, 2010.

1. gsrturbo

gsrturbo Regular Member

Hi guys and gals,

I would like to know of any methods and strategy to bring your game a notch higher, if we are playing with a group of players which are of the similar level to us. The standard among us are almost the same, with some slightly better and some slightly lower.
    O.K, when we play against better opponents in matches or tournaments they are very fast with lots of power play, strong smashes and quick anticipation, things will be very tough. How do we actually get better in terms of our match play, if we are face with the same group of players that are not that fast and the same standard.

I know that if we play against really good players we will lose more in our match and will have diff catching up but end of the day u will turn out to be a better player cause u r stretching your limit and not complacent in your game cause u cant afford to. If not you'll lose.

The best option is to get better players but its not easily available. Its when you come out to play competition matches all of a sudden they will be lots of good players playing in the comp. :confused::eek:

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Visit and play at other clubs with better players.

Watch how pro players play on youtube. Tons available. Then try to analyze and emulate their tactics and tecniques.

Even if your own club's players don't push you enough, you can still push yourself. By setting little challenges for yourself, like serve consistently perfectly, return your opponent's serves perfectly, smash more accurately, improve your backhand, play more flat drives, not lifting at all, etc. Instead of winning by 21/18, try to win by 21/11 or better.

3. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

Visor had sum it nicely.

I will add is try keep yourself motivated throughout the game because it is easy to lose focus due to the slow play.

4. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

Obviously there are the key physical elements to getting better, speed, accuracy, longevity, but don't underestimate your mental elements. While training hard, playing better players will most certainly make you a better player, when it comes to saying to yourself "you can win this point, you can win this game...etc" the mental fortitude is just as important.
    Like any muscle, will power needs to be exercised too. The best way to do so is to say, today I WILL do 30 serves in a row to this spot. If you miss, start again! Or today I WILL do 20 min of hard footwork drills. I believe you get the point

5. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    to add to visor's and PopsiclePete's excellent advice...
    concentrate on improving your weakest part of the game. At the advanced level, you're only as good as your weakest link because opponents will pick on it time and time again.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Recently I had a competition. I went to the court on my own and practiced serves for an hour..

7. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

Good point buddy! I shall practice...EVERYTHING! BTW There's a tourney this Sunday for MD at GBC...if interested, it's $35

How did the tourney go Cheung? My partner and I are playing in a doubles on Sunday and we've been practicing serve return and strategy, let's hope it pays off!

8. gsrturbo

gsrturbo Regular Member

yeah will try it and hope to achieve great results. :D:D Seldom get to practice in our court due to the no. of players playing, so usually we r playing doubles with a lot of match plays. If u r facing with a weaker opponents you'll will tend to relax abit and made a lot of silly mistakes but if you r facing a tough opponent u'll be tense out and r force to make mistakes. So i guess is all in the mind to play a good game to improve ur game play.
    I also notice tat players tat r of advance quality if they r playing with average players will tend to drop in their quality due to the sparring partners r not up to their std so they tend to relax and play to the momentum. In the long run the average player will improve while the advance player will stay stagnant or drop in std of the play. Do u guys agree?

9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    and that's why a lot of serious players will stick to playing with people in their own level.