Player of the year

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Bbn, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

In past badminton, players were awarded the "Player of the year award " if they won the

trio of the main tournaments of that time in a row :ie.All England,Denmark and Swiss Open and were undefeated for the whole year.

Previous players who achieved this were Tan Aik Huang in 1966 and Prakash Padukone

in 1980. Previous legends like Liem Swie King or Rudy Hartono also remained undefeated for many years eg. LSK in 1978 and 1979.

The longest past record of being undefeated and winning every tournament must belong to Morten Frost Hansen who was undefeated in 1982 and suffered only 1 defeat in 1984 and probably made a clean sweep of all tournaments in 82 and 84 failing only in Msia Open 1984.(correct me if I am wrong).
    However his claim to be the best is always challenged by the fact that he had a very poor record against Yang Yang at his prime the latter who also went on to win the big titles such as World Championships and Olympics demonstration in 1988.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    And who are the candidates for 2010, in your opinion?

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

The answer is obvious , candidates for 2010 can be considered on par with Frost at the moment,albeit with 1 or 2 minor discrepancies.

As people like to say, we should never compare across eras, I am not, just benchmarking their achievements of their time.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I would vote for LCW to get the 'Player of the Year 2010' award

Like kwun, I would vote for LCW to get the 'Player of the Year 2010' award.
    In 2010, LCW is the only player able to keep the World No.1 position throughout the whole year.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yes, I think LCW for Player of the Year 2010 is the most obvious choice.

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Player of the year 2010 for men would be LCW for sure...MD player can't really be an option because there can't be 2 people :p. I mean no one else has a better record and consistency in BWF tournaments this year in MS except perhaps the WC. But Chen Jin, despite winning the most important title for the year only has a Swiss Open to back him up. It's between LCW and CJ but for consistency throughout the whole year I would choose LCW.

For women... well... I wonder. WX fell short since claiming WR#1.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Agree for LCW.

For WS, could Saina Nehwal be in the frame? 3 SS titles this year, also CWG and India GP Gold. Admittedly, many of the Chinese gals were missing in some of the tournaments, but even so... points for consistent results???