how to make towel grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by bigredlemon, Mar 20, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Apparrently there's a phantom thread somewhere with instructions on how to make a towel grip, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone can point me to the right thread or give details here? Thanks :) I've worn through most overgrips and got 40+ towels lying around... so it seems like a good thing to try.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think it was 'Yogi' who posted it up but can;t remember details about the thread. I think he posted it up in reply to another thread.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Man... How did u grip ur grips??? by teeth???

I mean, I basically just used up about 10 overgrips for the past yr.

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Lol.. i've only gone through two so far this year. I just have lots of spare towels!

Thanks... found it in the middle of a long thread. I'll post it here for future reference.

He's not clear on what I wanted to know though... do you cut the towel into a long strip and wrap it around the handle like you would with an overgrip (many layers), or do you cut a square and wrap the square piece around the handle once (single layer)?

Wrapping a single layer would produce a bump up and down the shaft, while wrapping in layers would produce a very very big handle... i'm not sure how to resolve these problems.
    :confused:

5. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Cheung, you do amaze me! You still seem to remember that. I think it was really a while back . i even thought it was in the old forum format.

bigredlemon,

I am sure you have seen that the Torno grips( i call them torno as torno first manufactured those kind of material grips). They have a close cut end and another end which is not cut. These are left like that so that we can adjust the length of the grip and then make the narrow cut ourselves.

so do the same with your towel. A big towel grip gives me soemthing like 40 grips and it lasts for abt let me say abt 120 days when i was training . i.e 3 days for a girp and assuming that you have one racket.

the grip i haev on my slim 10 has been on it for a abt a year atleast as i have played one single day in the past 9 months and very few days in the past year.

so i hope i am clear now. sorry for any lack of clarity if you still do find any and i woudl be more than willing to try to rephrase it to more understandable terms.. english is a natural barrier for someone like me. But i try to do my best