All things Japanese

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by phil-mm, Dec 12, 2010.

1. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Japan Table Tennis National Team

Here's a thread for all who follow badminton and table tennis as well :).

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Would've been better if it were just 'table tennis' rather than 'Japanese national' - broadens the topic, no? :)

Jean-Philippe Gatien

3. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

haha, finally we can talk about the japanese table tennis players here. Okay, phil, let's continue our topic here.

4. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    I think there were a few other table tennis general threads elsewhere. But I can't seem to find them.

5. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

oh ya, Morizono Misaki. Is she your favourite too? Her name is Misaki too. :D She played at the WJTTC this week together with Ishikawa Kasumi, Maeda Miyu, and Tanioka Ayuka. Niwa Koki is playing too. Hirano Sayaka's brother Hirano Yuki is playing at the WJTTC too.

6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Sensation in Slovakia, Japan Beats China to in Jubilee Victory

Hey Phil, I am not sure whether you are following the WJTTC this week. Here is an article taken from the ITTF.

Source: http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=22702&Competition_ID=1996&

A squeal of joy from 17 year old Kasumi Ishikawa signalled a sensation in the Sibamac Arena at the Volkswagen World Junior Championships in Bratislava on the evening of Wednesday 8th December 2010.

The squeal and the smile that was as bright as the rising sun in her own country on a summer morning came after she had secured the final point to beat Gu Yuting and thus secured the Girls・Team title for Japan.

Thus, for the first time in the eight year history of the World Junior Championships, China did not occupy the top step of the medal podium in the Girls・Team event.
    In emotional scenes the coveted step belonged to Japan.

Chinese Domination
    It was the 50th gold medal to be won in the history of the World Junior Championships; a roll of honour which China has dominated.

They have won no less to 41 with Korea and Japan securing eight and Europe in the guise of Patrick Baum in 2005, one.

Result
    Kasumi Ishikawa beat both Zhu Yuling and Gu Yuting with Ayuka Tanioka adding the one vital win in the third match of the contest by beating Yi Fangxiang.

The one win for China came from Gu Yuting against Misaki Morizono in the second match of the contest.

Recovery Withstood
    Against Yang Ha Eun in the semi-final duel against Korea, Gu Yuting had lost the first two games but then returned all guns blazing to win the next three.

In opposition to Kasumi Ishikawa, she did exactly the same; well almost. She lost the first two games, then returned in positive mode to win the next two and force a deciding fifth game.

However, in the decisive fifth game it was Kasumi Ishikawa who was the more positive player, the quicker to attack, the player to seize the initiative. At the change of ends she led 5-2, it was a lead she never relinquished.

Recovery Withstood
    Japan in the lead, the pressure was firmly on the shoulders of Gu Yuting and she responded; she beat Misaki Morizono in four games but she was tested and clearly she felt the pressure.

It was mentally a most testing experience for the young lady who won the gold medal in the Girls・Singles event at the Youth Olympic Games earlier in the year in Singapore.

Spirited Effort by Misaki Morizono
    She established a two games to one lead, proving the more secure of the two players, left handed she created angles from the backhand and at 10-8 appeared in control and set for victory.

Misaki Morizono fought, she fought for Japan and when able to unleash a heavy forehand topspin directed towards the backhand of Gu Yuting, she gained success.

She levelled at 10-all; the she had three chances to win the game, Gu Yuting saved on each occasion before on what was to be her fourth match point at 15-14, securing victory.

China had levelled.

Classic Match
    Next into the arena came the defensive skills of Ayuka Tanioka against Yi Fangxian.

The Japanese teenager captured the first games before Yi Fangxian recovered to win the next two; she eliminated the errors of the first two games but then in the fourth hesitated somewhat.

Ayuka Tanioka, her classic defensive style solid, levelled; a fifth game beckoned.

At the change of ends it was a one point advantage to Yi Fangxian; she increased the lead to 7-5, the Japanese camp called time Out. The break worked for Japan, Ayuka Tanioka levelled at 7-all.

Bravery
    Yi Fangxian called time Out・but it was Ayuka Tanioka who was to prevail; she combined defence with a topspin forehand attack, she seized the opportunity when it arose and showing immense courage, mental strength beyond her years seized a nail-biting victory.

Pressure
    The pressure now lay firmly on the shoulders of Gu Yuting as she faced Kasumi Ishikawa.

It was the battle of the left handers, a battle between who was the more consistent; a battle between who could handle the intense nature of the scenario.

Kasumi Ishikawa, increasingly confident, captured the first two games; she directed her attacks consistently towards the backhand of Gu Yuting and in so doing won the first two games. The fact that Gu Yuting was unable to unleash her fast forehand attack was a crucial factor.

In the third game, the tension was clear, the rallies were short with Kasumi Ishikawa establishing a 5-4 lead; Gu Yuting called time Out・

Electric Atmosphere
    It was a time to take stock, the atmosphere was electric and Kasumi Ishikawa responded; in her second match point she converted.

Gold was in the hands of Japan and coach Takaomi Kishi just prayed he was awake.

We beat China, we beat China・ he said. am I dreaming?
    No, it was reality, Japan were the 2010 Volkswagen World Junior Girls・Team Champions.

It was reality.

Girls・Team Final
    Japan 3-1 China

Attached Files:

7. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Once Again Ayuka Tanioka Keeps Supporters on Tenterhooks

Japan's Ayuka Tanioka thrilled the spectators in the Sibamac Arena at the Volkswagen World Junior Championships on the evening of Wednesday 8th December when she beat Yi Fangxian in a thrilling five games full distance encounter.

It was a pivotal win in Japan's success in the Girls・Team final; it was a contest in which the mental strength of the Japanese teenager won the day.

One day later, on Thursday 9th December 2010, in the first round of the Girls・Singles event, the mental strength of Ayuka Tanioka was once again called into play.
    She was extended the full seven games distance by a spirited Mirna Tomic.

Determination
    Yesterday, I was so determined, I just said to myself that I had to win, I must win・ explained Ayuka Tanioka who did just that and delivered the goods.

It was a determined performance but there were no histrionics in the performance, no falling on the floor or leaping like a kangaroo on heat; just a genuine celebration and a broad smile from a most polite and courteous young lady.

Second Gold
    The win against China in the Girls・Team final was Ayuka Tanioka's second gold medal of the year in a major junior competition; in August she won gold in the team event with Koki Niwa at the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore.

Yes that was very special・ reflected Ayuka Tanioka. Moreover, in Singapore, the Chinese were not present; yesterday we beat China.

Beating China Special
    To suggest that one is more important than the other is a tough decision and of course Gu Yuting was present in Singapore but there was no Yin Hang or other Chinese boy to partner her in the team event.

I am not suggesting that in any was winning in Singapore was a hollow victory but beating China was very special, very special indeed.

Memories
    Furthermore, watching the defensive skills of Ayuka Tanioka takes me back to the World Championships in 1977 in Birmingham when it was everyone's privilege to watch Norio Takashima play.

Ayuka Tanioka is the latest Japanese player to follow the great man's technique; just as did the likes of Koji Matsushita.

Adapted
    Yes I defend but I have to adapt to the modern day・ said Ayuka Tanioka; the ability to adapt is the sign of a good player, a very good player and that development in the play of Ayuka Tanioka is her ability to execute a forehand topspin and play a careful counter topspin.

It was that skill that proved vital against Yi Fangxian and also in opposition to Mima Tomic it was vital.

Leading Names Win
    Success for Ayuka Tanioka and also for the top eight seeded players; Kasumi Ishikawa (Japan), Zhu Yuling (China), Cheng I-Ching (Chinese Taipei), Yi Fangxian (China), Zhao Yan (China), Lee Ho Ching (Hong Kong) and Yang Ha Eun (Korea) all emerged successful.

Source: http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=22710&Competition_ID=1996&

Attached Files:

8. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Kasumi Ishikawa Continues Outstanding Run of Form in Slovak Capital

Unbeaten throughout the first six days of the Volkswagen World Junior Championships in Bratislava, Japan's 17 year old Kasumi Ishikawa retained that record at the end of day seven, Saturday 10th January 2010.

She overcame China's Zhao Yan at the quarter-final stage of the Girls・Singles event and concluded the penultimate day of play with victory at the semi-final stage of the Girls・Doubles event in partnerships with Misaki Morizono.

Seeded no.1 in the Girls・Singles event and clearly boosted by the fact that in the final of the Girls・Team event she beat both Zhu Yuling and Gu Yuting, Kasumi Ishikawa gave an assured performance to beat Zhao Yan.
    It was a most efficient and professional performance from the teenager.

First Class Display
    Equally in the Girls・Doubles semi-final duel against the Chinese duo of Yi Fangxian and Zhao Yan, Kasumi Ishikawa and Misaki Morizono gave a first class display.

They were tested by the Chinese pairing but they responded at the crucial stages of the contest.

Crucial Game
    Unquestionably the fourth game was vital; Kasumi Ishikawa and Misaki Morizono led by two games to one but they trailed 7-10 in the fourth; the most likely option appeared to be parity.

It was not to be, the Japanese duo saved three games points before progressing to win the game 13-11; it was the watershed of the contest, they dominated the fifth and thus justified their second seeded position.

Chinese Show Class
    Success for Japan in the lower half of the Girls・Doubles draw but in the top half it was defeat; China's Gu Yuting and Zhu Yuling, the no.1 seeds, recorded a five games victory over Miyu Maeda and Ayka Tanioka.

Good versus Defence
    Defeat for Miyu Maeda and Ayuka Tanioka in the Girls・Doubles and at the quarter-final stage of the Girls・Singles event it was defeat for Ayuka Tanioka.

She was beaten in four straight games by Korea's Yang Ha Eun who simply knew how to play against defence; no doubt the fact that she is in the same national team as two of the world's greatest defensive players, Kim Kyung Ah and Park Mi Young was of benefit!

Chance Missed
    Defeat for Ayuka Tanioka and also for Misaki Morizono who will be delighted to have reached the final of the Girls・Doubles event but she will be kicking herself that she is not in the semi-finals of the Girls・Singles competition.

She never held a match point; however, leading by three games to two, she held a narrow lead in the sixth game but was not able to capitalise on the situation.

Farewell
    It was defeat as it was for Hong Kong's Lee Ho Ching; playing in what is her last ever junior tournament; she was beaten by China's Zhu Yuling, the no.2 seed.

Source: http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=22728&Competition_ID=1996&

9. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

A Further Endorsement of Japan痴 Rising World Status, Boys' Doubles Gold

Japan's Asuka Machi and Koki Niwa won the Boys・Doubles title at the Volkswagen World Junior Championships in Bratislava on Saturday 11th December 2010 beating the French partnership of Simon Gauzy and Quentin Robinot in five games at the final hurdle on Saturday 11th December 2010.

Success for Japan endorsed the belief explained at the H.I.S. World Championships in Yokohama in 2009 that Japan is returning to be a major force in world table tennis.

Earlier in the tournament in Bratislava, the girls・had won the team title; two gold medals for Japan was a ringing endorsement.

Asuka Machi and Koki Niwa won 11-9, 11-9, 11-6, 12-14, 11-4

Quick Start
    Attacking quickly at every opportunity and perhaps with the slight advantage of having the left and right handed combination, thus able to execute their forehands at every opportunity, Asuka Machi and Koki Niwa secured a close first game.

A close first game clearly settled nerves; they dominated the early stages of the second game. They established an 8-2 lead, gamely the French pairing recovered to trail 5-8, 7-10 and then 9-10 but the gap was too great to bridge.

In a contest that was being played at the top speed, a two games to nil lead was quickly established in favour of Japan.

Confidence Growing
    Playing confidently, Asuka Machi and Koki Niwa established a 5-3 lead in the third game; Jacques Mommessin, the French Boys・Team coach, called time Out・

Alas for France, the gap was never reduced as the French made errors trying to stop the Japanese pair attacking.

A three games to nil lead was established.

Opportunity Missed
    Asuka Machi and Koki Niwa were establishing their authority on matters, or so it seemed; in the fourth game they led 10-8 but were unable to consolidate.

Both match points were saved before at the third attempt, the French pair clinched the game 14-12.

Immediate Repost
    However, in the fifth game the Japanese pair took control, they established a lead, the never relinquished that lead; the gold medal was duly collected.

Source: http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=22736&Competition_ID=1996&

10. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Yes, she is one of my favourite players too. She has a very sweet smile, in real life. I think she is a nice girl. She's from Tokyo. Some of the Japanese national players train in the resort town of Aomori, but I think Misaki is based in Tokyo. I read a write-up of her a few months back but I can't find the article now. But I'm not sure if she is going to play in the professional circuit in future.

11. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

she plays GD with Ishikawa in the WJTTC, but they lost to Gu Yuting/Zhu Yuling in the final. :( Why she is not going to play in the future????

12. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

In the WJTTC this year, I spotted this girl called Tanioka Ayuka, she is a defensive player, I am impressed by her style of play. Although is slow, but I really like to watch her defense. I also spotted Niwa Koki, I know he was the Youth OG champion, I thought he has a chance to be in the final of BS, too bad he failed to do it. He only won the BD. :(

13. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Wow, you're really making use of this thread. By the way, my name is not Phil, LOL. Phil is the prefix for philos. I use the nic phil-mm because Matsutomo Misaki, Morizono Misaki and Mukotani Misaki are my favourite sports people.
    I haven't been following the world juniors until you mentioned it, but I'm not surprised that Japan managed to beat China this time. Ishikawa Kasumi has improved a lot recently, and Tanioka Ayuka is a difficult player to beat.

14. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    I've seen Ayuka on three occasions already. She lost to Gu Yuting in the Youth Olympic Games in both the individual and team events.

15. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    I really hope she does :):):).

16. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

of course, we must fully utilize it. Haha... It's okay, just a short form to call you. :D I like the ITTF website, they always show live for their tournaments from day 1 to the final. I watch the final of WS and MD yesterday night. I also watch the replay of the team match (Japan bt China). I don't have to download. LOL... how good is it if BWF follow what ITTF does. :D I missed some of the early LIVE matches because I was admitted to the hospital, fortunately still managed to catch the individual finals. But too bad, Ishikawa lost to Zhu Yuling in the final yesterday :( She bt Zhu Yuling and Gu Yuting respectively in the team event. :(

17. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Is she 18 this year?

18. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Ha ha, you haven't been reading my PMs or emails. All three Misakis I mentioned above are 19 this year. What a coincidence :).

19. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

no. I just check her profile, she is 18. She was borne in 1992.

20. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Oh, stupid me, I don't even remember what I sent you. This was part of the first PM I sent you:

Then I discovered Matsutomo Misaki
    So I'm not bluffing you in the Vietnam thread. There are really 3 Misaki MMs. It's really funny, like the 3 amigos
    But the Matsutomo one is by far the cutest
    And her name is unique too, three alphabets instead of the normal 美咲, for the other 2
    And guess what, they are all 18 this year

I'm so forgetful, LOL.