HELP! Keep snapping string at the same spot

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by PopsiclePete, Dec 14, 2010.

1. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

Hey guys, please please help. I have a tournament coming up on Sunday and over the past 3 days I've snapped the string of this racket 3 times in the exact same spot.

Picture is attached. I do my own stringing and have just recently started doing so. I string at 26 x 28 and can get about 2 hours of play and then SNAP!:crying:

PLLLEEEEEEEEEASE HELP

Attached Files:

2. ed103194

ed103194 Regular Member

what string do you use and check the grommets?

3. PopsiclePete

bg85 and yes, just replaced the grommets on both my z-slashes...

One of the other players here told me that it could be from my stringing method. I follow the Yonex method, centre-out. Could there be something with the tension aspect?

I usually use a fixed clamp to lock down one side while I string a1 through a3 on the other, then switch sides and continue the pattern.

edit: I've never had this problem when I was getting my rackets strung, it's recently since I've started doing my own :/

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The ends of the broken string are almost exactly equal in length - this is highly suggestive that the string snapped at the frame. This being the case, there may be something (a bad grommet, a bit of rough paint, &c) where the string interacts with the frame.
    I can't see it being down to stringing technique as such, as bad technique wouldn't be so discriminating in choosing that point on the stringbed.

If we were looking at a mis-hit one end of the busted string would be a good inch longer than the other - it's a dead giveaway when somebody clouts one off the top of the middle mains.

5. PopsiclePete

Hmmm...see, I thought the same thing, but I replaced the grommets earlier today and it still snapped. I inspected the frame quite well. It's funny cuz I strung a racket for a friend too, at900t and his snapped EXACTLY the same spot.

Thanks for the thoughts....

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That's made things more interesting... maybe something's happening when you clamp that particular string (but we've no way if knowing what that might be:confused:).

7. PopsiclePete

I wonder if the clamp itself is too tight? A friend suggested that perhaps the tension on those particular strings may not be equal and thus creating some sort of weird tugging or pulling effect at the grommet...

#7 PopsiclePete, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yeh - the clamps should only be the minimum tightness necessary to keep the string from slipping out.

When you start a racket do you clamp one side untensioned to pull the first main? If so, try pulling both mains at once and then lock one side off, then proceed as normal. This gets some tension inside the first clamp; if you clamp an untensioned string, the zero inside the clamp will "jump out" when the clamp is released and contaminate both centre mains.

Also, if you use a crank machine you should release the first clamp while pulling; if you pull then unclamp the same thing will happen: you'll get 26 before unclamping and then lose some when the lower tension from the double-pull jumps out.

9. PopsiclePete

That may be the issue. I'll have to try later and test the racquet out quickly before the tourney.

BTW, I use an ECP machine

10. PopsiclePete

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Then nothing I mentioned should be an issue:p - if you leave the puller for an extra couple of seconds it will take out the zero for you.

The string protectors - best place to try is mybadmintonstore.com (I think they still carry them...).

12. PopsiclePete

Damn it all, after a few successful string jobs on a few different racquets, the problem has come back...could it be a bad batch of strings plus improper technique?

I need to find a local stringer who does it well and see what they say

sigh

13. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    Your gripper may be squeezing too hard, damaging the string. Try putting a folded index card slightly longer than the gripper, if you are using a linear gripper.

What kind of ECP are you using?

14. Sentinel604

Sentinel604 Regular Member

I fix stuff
    I highly doubt that it's a bad batch of strings / stringing technique / clamps

That breakage still looks like its from a bad grommet

Did u have a look at the grommet and the hole before you replaced it?

What grommets are you using?

I just don't think that a string can break at the same spot if it's a bad batch of strings / stringing technique / clamps.

Wouldn't hurt trying those protectors out

15. PopsiclePete

I'm using the 2086's gripper plates and I use a business card in between them for a better grip. I've adjusted the clamps grip to the minimum required pressure in holding the string.

The grommets should not be the issue as this has happened on 6 different racquets...

What about the pre-stretch option? I may turn it off and see what happens, the two racquets that Im using that are still fine, if I recall correctly, were done without the pre-stretch...

16. CovinaStringer

The pre-stretch is probably damaging the string. How much do you have set, 5%? You really don't need pre-stretch because of the CP. Pre-stretch is good for syn gut and not really multi-filament string like most Badminton strings. Try stringing it without pre-stretch and see if still breaks in the same place.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The cause for the string breakage is simply one of miss hit. The racket you have has the non-standard 21 cross string pattern, which is one less than the standard. This results in an area at the top of the frame that has a larger area that is not 'protected' by the crosses, hence it is more vulnerable to breakage from miss hits. Any large portion of the string bed that has no crosses at the top is vulnerable.
    I suggest you develop a more focussed hitting style, one that relaxes at the back swing and then snaps at the forward swing. This will give your shot more precision and also more focus.

18. CovinaStringer

Usually breaks like that are a result of a miss-hit. But in the same exact place is quite unusual. I could see if it happened on both sides like at RH2/3 and LH2/3.

What if he was able to add an extra cross to the top row?

Wise 2086 Pro gripper heads have been known to damage string. Does this one have a diablo (nose cone)?

19. PopsiclePete

Indeed it does good sir and I take full advantage of it.

Taneepak, thanks for the tip, I'm still working on my game, but the cause for concern is when my friends get it strung at a different stringer they have no issues and the strings lasts months, a strung a racquet for a friend the other day and it snapped after two days of playing. This can no longer be attributed to a few mishits...

thanks for the all help gents

20. CovinaStringer

Everything seems to point to pre-stretch. Try turning that off and see how long it lasts.