User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete,

I was thinking about this last night. It may be that the supports are too close to the center. This allows the top of the racquet to be pulled inwards and the sides go outwards at the 10 & 2 o'clock points when pulling the main strings, then when you do the crosses, the racquet is being pushed back into shape by the cross tension, resulting in much higher tension in the mains because of racquet deformation. It could also mean that any strong hit in that area, not necessarily a mishit could result in string breakage. By moving the supports, you should be reducing this deformation and correction, hopefully resulting in a better or consistent string tension.

-John

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopsiclePete View Post
    Hey John,
    Thanks for that suggestion, I will rotate the supports to align better with the position you suggested. Further, I fully agree that it cannot be the mishits as I am not the only person experiencing the snapping of the strings at the same spot. With the frame being pulled in all directions, it could be likely that once I release the clamps there is a bit of extra tension loss that can create the slack and thus the snapping. We'll see soon enough!

Pete
    I still think it is miss hits that cause he problem. Of course others who miss hit will also break the strings at the top end of the racket.
    Now, let me ask you this question. Have you had the same problem with rackets with the standard 22 cross string pattern and with the same breakage frequency? Try to align your 21-cross string racket with one that has a 2-cross pattern and you will clearly see the huge difference between the gap at the top. It is here that is the problem.
    Supports and other improper tying of the knots do not cause any premature breakage. Blaming them is a wild goose chase, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I still think it is miss hits that cause he problem. Of course others who miss hit will also break the strings at the top end of the racket.
    Now, let me ask you this question. Have you had the same problem with rackets with the standard 22 cross string pattern and with the same breakage frequency? Try to align your 21-cross string racket with one that has a 22-cross pattern and you will clearly see the huge difference between the gap at the top. It is here that is the problem.
    Supports and other improper tying of the knots do not cause any premature breakage. Blaming them is a wild goose chase, in my opinion.
    This is the corrected version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taneepak, while the strings may have snapped due to a mishit and I see what you're saying there, there has to be another variable as within two days, five different racquets that I strung for other people snapped the exact same way. While we could take say, yup, they were all mishit, but what is the possibility that all five players mishit at the exact same spot and snap the exact same string in the exact same way? Statistically speaking that is low, with the exception of one common variable, the way I string.

I will however see how I can introduce your 22-cross pattern after I do a few of my own racquets with the readjusted mounts.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's another factor that many stringers didn't think about, it's the age of the strings.
    Combine that with mishits and the 21 cross pattern, thin string, high tension the chance of string snapping is very high.
    I've have this exact problem before.
    To correct this problem, I've dumped all my old brittle strings, switched to a thicker string and do the 22 cross pattern when ever possible, I've modified my T mounts to make this possible. This drastically reduced string breakage as I can't ask all the mishitters not to mishit. All of a sudden no more broken strings and I look good in front of my customers.

Taneepak, while the strings may have snapped due to a mishit and I see what you're saying there, there has to be another variable as within two days, five different racquets that I strung for other people snapped the exact same way. While we could take say, yup, they were all mishit, but what is the possibility that all five players mishit at the exact same spot and snap the exact same string in the exact same way? Statistically speaking that is low, with the exception of one common variable, the way I string.

I will however see how I can introduce your 22-cross pattern after I do a few of my own racquets with the readjusted mounts.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, please please help. I have a tournament coming up on Sunday and over the past 3 days I've snapped the string of this racket 3 times in the exact same spot.

Picture is attached. I do my own stringing and have just recently started doing so. I string at 26 x 28 and can get about 2 hours of play and then SNAP!

PLLLEEEEEEEEEASE HELP
    Looking at the picture it appears that Main No.2 left has snapped and looks somewhat too short to have snapped at the grommet. Main 2 left is part of the starting/tensioning loop, you lock down Main 1 left side say, and tension Main 1 right side followed by 2nd right side for example. Somehow I reckon the string is getting slightly crimped when you go back to tension the first leftside main. Do you re-pull the this first main again? Run the string through your fingers before tensioning and again afterwards. You might be able to feel something. Also make sure that you don't pull a twisted/loop through the grommet causing the outer sheath to be damaged/crimped.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3