Strength/fitness over technique nowadays?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Inconsistent, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Inconsistent

Inconsistent Regular Member

Student
    Does anyone else feel that players nowadays are preferring to play a much more physical game rather than a technical game? I don't just mean raw power and speed, but also the player's techniques seem less refined as they were before.
    In my opinion an example would be Wang Xin compared to say XXF or ZN (I know its not that long ago), Wang Xin in my opinion does not look anywhere near the level of the previous two. Even on the males side you have Chen Long/ Chen Jin, etc. who don't have that "great" of technique in my opinion. Rather players back a couple of years had what looked to be more "refined" technique.
    I know that the game has evolved now where it is a much more physically demanding game but I'm wondering why can't players incorporate both aspects into the game. If you could have Taufik's talents, but with the physical abilities of Lin Dan, that would be an amazing player (though virtually impossible).

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If you cast a wider net, you might discover that there are many young players who play with great finesse, as well as display very strong technical abilities.

If a player is in his early 20s he can still be supremely fit wthout having to focus overmuch on just the strength/fitness aspects. However, they would not want to underestimate the importance of strength and fitness; badminton has become a very demanding sport, and a player needs to be supremely fit to last 3 gruelling games. Only then can he hope to advance through the ranks. That is the unfortunate truth.

3. Inconsistent

Inconsistent Regular Member

Student
    I'm not saying all players nowadays are not as technically good as players from before. Ratchanok Inthanon has great technique despite being very young however many others players lack that kind of technique.
    Even at lower levels, it seems that kids do not focus on the technical aspect of the game as much but mindlessly do drills to improve fitness/strength rather then technique/deception.

4. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

Agreed! Most rallies are fast, quick and technique has gone out the window. Not to say that there is no technique in a fast-paced rally, but it seems like when we switched to the 21 point rally system, trying to outwit your opponent is going the way of the dinosaur. While you still play strategically, the technique is some shots has disappeared to pure power and fitness.

But again, flip the coin and you can say this about every sport. The gentleness of things nowadays has been overtaken but raw power and speed. I see a couple young guys at my club play power shots every time, rather than switch it up and slow things down. I can recall playing some doubles matches even a 2 setter that could last an hour because the rallies weren't so fast, but more about who can find that one little spot to win the point.

5. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Wang Xing is young compare to XXF and ZN at their prime. Young players tend to play more fitness than technique, but they evolve as they process. Compare Peter Gade, LCW and LD at the early 20s and now and you'll see what I mean.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    IMO if one can master speed, strategies and stamina in this order, he is well prepared. ;)

7. aaronhor

aaronhor Regular Member

student
    Though badminton nowadays put higher demand on physical and fitness due to new 21-point scoring system, I still feel the technical aspects of players nowadays are better compared to old days. Both techniques and skills have evolve to be better and more spectacular to watch.

#7 aaronhor, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Lin Dan has a quite impeccable technique. He is also very very skilled. He has evolved as a player over the past few years. Natural talent a la Taufik is another matter altogether: either you got it or you don't; you cannot "cultivate" it! :D

The natural talent brings with it, its own human-ness in terms of attitude and approach, and it makes for a hugely exciting experience to the observer. The master of technique and physical ability evokes a different type of awe.

In two separate people, we have so much more to watch and enjoy, and be grateful for!