Tips on improving the power of my backhand?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by k9force2515, Dec 16, 2010.

1. k9force2515

k9force2515 Regular Member

Student
    Guys please help me. Each time a use a backhand shot, it goes to center court and I get smashed. :( So, I'll always have to play it to the net. My backhand drops are good, but I just need power to bring it back. Any tips on how to strengthen my wrist for backhand? I have no problems with forehand shots.

Racket: Voltric 70
    Play type: Doubles

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why are you using backhand when playing doubles? just move faster and hit a around the head forehand.

3. k9force2515

Student
    What I was trying to say was for leisure. I play doubles competition wise. But with friends I play singles. So was trying to improve on it.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I believe one of the main points is the transfer of weight to the front foot (if you are right-handed, it would be the right foot) before contact, to help "push off." And of course, not to get too close to the bird.

5. k9force2515

Student
    Alright! Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would consider how relaxed you are when hitting your backhand clear. A lot of people don't have the belief in their technique that it will go all the way, and as such they try to hit the shuttle harder, which normally means they tense up. You must be completely relaxed. You must not reach up too high to hit the shuttle, take it at a nice relaxed height, to the side of the body. Remember, it is a powerful tapping action that we require, so there is very little follow through. How can you improve your tapping action? I recommend, on the advice of an excellent coach Mr Paul Stewart (website is badminton-coach.co.uk) that you practise your net kills - this is where tapping with the fingers really can be practised to its best!

Hope some of that helps

Matt