User Tag List

Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 272 of 885
  1. #256
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And don't forget that LCW grew up in the BAM system and achieved success, whatever shortcomings BAM might have.

    It is asking too much from BAM to help someone outside the BAM system to achieve glory under a different banner and not the BAM banner. They have their own self interest to protect just as ZZ and his dad think they can do a better job outside of BAM.

    BAM's main priority is to develop those players under its charge. In other words, preference will be given to the other national singles players to spar with LCW whenever possible.

    If ZZ and company want to compete with BAM to see who can do a better job in the end, ZZ and co will have to find their own resources. Don't expect too much from your opponent to help you succeed at your opponent's expense.

  2. Likes Dato A liked this post
  3. #257
    Regular Member undeadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    马来西亚
    Posts
    8,278
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    And don't forget that LCW grew up in the BAM system and achieved success, whatever shortcomings BAM might have.

    It is asking too much from BAM to help someone outside the BAM system to achieve glory under a different banner and not the BAM banner. They have their own self interest to protect just as ZZ and his dad think they can do a better job outside of BAM.

    BAM's main priority is to develop those players under its charge. In other words, preference will be given to the other national singles players to spar with LCW whenever possible.

    If ZZ and company want to compete with BAM to see who can do a better job in the end, ZZ and co will have to find their own resources. Don't expect too much from your opponent to help you succeed at your opponent's expense.
    I agree with you. However, once they have got LCW, every other player is used as a sparring partner instead of an individual of their own. BAM must not forget that other players have their own careers too. ZZ should stay out of BAM at the moment...

  4. #258
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There will always be a conflict of interest, for as long as BAM is responsible for training players under its banner. In an ideal world, independent private clubs with their own sponsor backing/funding would be competing with each other for places in the national squad. BAM would just be faciliating that process, or at most be responsbile for national team events like the Thomas/Sudirman cup and Olympics/WC. As the Super Series gains more and more prominence the responsibility of coaching and also participation in Super Series events should be devolved to the clubs and their sponsors. One needs BAM because living off from the proceeds of Super Series tournament money isn't a reality just yet.

  5. #259
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltric View Post
    There will always be a conflict of interest, for as long as BAM is responsible for training players under its banner. In an ideal world, independent private clubs with their own sponsor backing/funding would be competing with each other for places in the national squad. BAM would just be faciliating that process, or at most be responsbile for national team events like the Thomas/Sudirman cup and Olympics/WC. As the Super Series gains more and more prominence the responsibility of coaching and also participation in Super Series events should be devolved to the clubs and their sponsors. One needs BAM because living off from the proceeds of Super Series tournament money isn't a reality just yet.
    The lack of resources of most private clubs makes it difficult to achieve the ideal. We are talking in terms of not only financial resources but also of human resources, particularly on the coaching team and sports science specialists. How many first class badminton coaches and supporting staff can one find in a single country, perhaps apart from China?

    Yes, when that day comes, BAM can then take on a different role as suggested.
    Last edited by Loh; 11-15-2011 at 09:33 PM.

  6. #260
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Press Conference for the World Junior Champion 2011, Zulfadli Zulkifli.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #261
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpue
    Posts
    1,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HangPC2 View Post
    Press Conference for the World Junior Champion 2011, Zulfadli Zulkifli.
    soon Denmark's product brand FZ FORZA will be famous thanks to Zulfadli Zulkifli...!!

  8. #262
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    If BAM won't let LCW to spar with ZZ, then it is clear that BAM is playing politics, and not helping Badminton (for any Malaysian wishing to perform well, with or without BAM).

    BAM should say no more about "It's for National Interest", but they should rephrase their words to "It's for BAM's Interest".
    .
    that's the word best describe the situation...

  9. #263
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    And don't forget that LCW grew up in the BAM system and achieved success, whatever shortcomings BAM might have.

    It is asking too much from BAM to help someone outside the BAM system to achieve glory under a different banner and not the BAM banner. They have their own self interest to protect just as ZZ and his dad think they can do a better job outside of BAM.

    BAM's main priority is to develop those players under its charge. In other words, preference will be given to the other national singles players to spar with LCW whenever possible.


    If ZZ and company want to compete with BAM to see who can do a better job in the end, ZZ and co will have to find their own resources. Don't expect too much from your opponent to help you succeed at your opponent's expense.
    .
    Perhaps that's the Malaysian/Asian way of thinking.

    Anyway, let's follow Zulfadli Zulkifli (under this way of thinking) and Viktor Axelsen (under the Denmark/Western way of thinking) to see how both of them will make their marks in the world in the next few years to come.
    .

  10. #264
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    that's the word best describe the situation...
    .
    That's right... As you can see, I am more interested in ZZ than in BAM.
    .

  11. #265
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    The lack of resources of most private clubs makes it difficult to achieve the ideal. We are talking in terms of not only financial resources but also of human resources, particularly on the coaching team and sports science specialists. How many first class badminton coaches and supporting staff can one find in a single country, perhaps apart from China?

    Yes, when that day comes, BAM can then take on a different role as suggested.
    I am thinking of a model where all coaching and training are privatised, with the various private clubs applying for Govt. funding via BAM or some other body. If BAM wanted to they could privatise their coaching and training staff/programme now, while overseeing -- in broad terms -- the way the money is spent (not to the extent of micro managing, however, which would be self defeating) and also approving work permits for foreign coaching staff where required. What the sport needs is perhaps more competition among the clubs, and a transparent ranking system where merit prevails and only the deserving ones are sent to major tournaments like the WC and Olympics. Ah, the Utopia.

  12. #266
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltric View Post
    I am thinking of a model where all coaching and training are privatised, with the various private clubs applying for Govt. funding via BAM or some other body. If BAM wanted to they could privatise their coaching and training staff/programme now, while overseeing -- in broad terms -- the way the money is spent (not to the extent of micro managing, however, which would be self defeating) and also approving work permits for foreign coaching staff where required. What the sport needs is perhaps more competition among the clubs, and a transparent ranking system where merit prevails and only the deserving ones are sent to major tournaments like the WC and Olympics. Ah, the Utopia.
    .
    I agree. Tax payers want their monies go to players (for their training, travelling, and other expenses).

    At the current situation, it looks like a bigger proportion of the monies have gone to administration expenses, and little is left for players' expenses.
    .

  13. #267
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    but the tax money goes to some people pocket now

  14. #268
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltric View Post
    I am thinking of a model where all coaching and training are privatised, with the various private clubs applying for Govt. funding via BAM or some other body. If BAM wanted to they could privatise their coaching and training staff/programme now, while overseeing -- in broad terms -- the way the money is spent (not to the extent of micro managing, however, which would be self defeating) and also approving work permits for foreign coaching staff where required. What the sport needs is perhaps more competition among the clubs, and a transparent ranking system where merit prevails and only the deserving ones are sent to major tournaments like the WC and Olympics. Ah, the Utopia.
    Maybe to start off, BAM should "decentralize" and act as the funding, administration and processing centre or headquarters for all the badminton associations in the various Malaysian states.

    The state associations should identify their talent pool for various age-groups and the state team and be given adequate funding for their coaching, staffing and related expenses. State associations should submit their detailed action plans and a budget for their requirements and their progress should be closely monitored.

    All state team players will then assemble at periodical intervals to compete for a place in the National Team for the various international tournaments that will involve Malaysia.

    BAM will not have to develop a team, as currently, to avoid any conflict of interest. There should be transparency and representation is based solely on merit. Every state should be treated equally without fear or favour.

  15. #269
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    to maintain their power and status
    they wont do so
    if not
    no cake to share

  16. #270
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,568
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    And don't forget that LCW grew up in the BAM system and achieved success, whatever shortcomings BAM might have.

    It is asking too much from BAM to help someone outside the BAM system to achieve glory under a different banner and not the BAM banner. They have their own self interest to protect just as ZZ and his dad think they can do a better job outside of BAM.

    BAM's main priority is to develop those players under its charge. In other words, preference will be given to the other national singles players to spar with LCW whenever possible.

    If ZZ and company want to compete with BAM to see who can do a better job in the end, ZZ and co will have to find their own resources. Don't expect too much from your opponent to help you succeed at your opponent's expense.
    Was it not Morten Frost that handpicked LCW from the state selection, who knows what would have happened if he hadn't been there at that point in time ...

  17. #271
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    to maintain their power and status
    they wont do so
    if not
    no cake to share
    .
    It looks like you are saying that they are more for "Self Interest", instead of for "National interest".
    .

  18. #272
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    Was it not Morten Frost that handpicked LCW from the state selection, who knows what would have happened if he hadn't been there at that point in time ...
    Yes I thought that was what Frost said during one of his commentating with GC. Frost identified the very young and "skinny" LCW as a talent to be chosen for further training, it seemed with some objection from the top. It could be said that if not for Frost, LCW would be "just another player".

    It was not always smooth sailing for LCW during his earlier exploits on the international scene. I remembered at one of the S'pore Opens he was knocked out early in the preliminaries.

    From the many posts that I read in this BC forum, it would seem LCW never gave up. He continued to work very hard at training and finally made his mark not too long ago and remained consistent with his WR1 ranking. If the other MAS players want to achieve success, there is no short cut but to work hard. I also read that Lin Dan was a very hard-working player, often times remaining behind in training and perfecting his strokes when his team mates had left.

    Malaysia has many badminton talents. Take Darien Liew for example. He has beaten some of the higest ranked players in the world, yet he remained complacent with his current position and not shown prospects of replacing LCW when the latter retires.

    When BAM insisted on higher standards in training and greater achievement from the national squad, there was hue and cry and BAM was accused of setting unrealistic targets. BAM was crucified in this forum so many times for not doing a good job, but when they tried, they were similarly condemned. And here you have ZZ and co. trying to do better than BAM.

    I'm an outsider not affliated in any way with BAM. But I don't see how MAS can succeed in the badminton world with so much disunity and confrontation that is currently taking place.
    Last edited by Loh; 11-19-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •