User Tag List

Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zulkiffli Wants BAM To Consider His Son Zulfadli For Thomas Cup Duty (in 2012, May 20-27). Have a read;

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/ne....php?id=632887

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    NO. That's not what I think.
    What I'm trying to remind is that there were WJCs in the past who did not make it big time. Just because ZZ is the current WJC is no guarantee that he will succeed in the professional ranks. There is still a long time between now and Oly 2016. In the interim period, new talents will emerge and those that may not have performed well during the last WJC may well surprise us later.

I think for the time being ZZ may be slightly ahead of his closest rivals but if his rivals continue to train hard with very good support from their National Associations and ZZ is still embroiled in political tussle between KLRC and BAM, then ZZ may well suffer setbacks and not be able to realize his ambition.

On the other hand, a seemingly less talented player may well overcome his earlier shortcomings/obstacles if he decides to work harder with an improved attitude and environment. I think LCW would fall under this category.

Time will tell how things will pan out and whether ZZ will live up to the expectations of so many who are now singing high praises of him.

And a REMINDER is not to expect too much and

STOP COUNTING THE CHICKENS BEFORE THEY ARE HATCHED!

Many talented Malaysian and other foreign players have disappointed at varying periods in the past when they were expected to succeed.
    Loh, I totally agree with you. Winning the AJC and WJC is nothing if the winner doesn't make it big on the senior stage.

Zulfadli hasn't beaten any high-ranking players while Viktor did. You might even say that Zul might not be better than Viktor in many aspects on the game, just more intelligent. He still has a long way to go and it's annoying that people have already seemed to make him sound like a champion in a matter of time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, even 16 years old viktor axelsen was included in Danish thomas cup squad last year. But then, in BAM its different Mainly because ZZ is not in Bam set up and he's an independent player.. Politics, havoc, here and there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    Yes, even 16 years old viktor axelsen was included in Danish thomas cup squad last year. But then, in BAM its different Mainly because ZZ is not in Bam set up and he's an independent player.. Politics, havoc, here and there...
    Sigh i dont understand why do BAM have to be so political about these things.. where is the UNTUK BANGSA DAN NEGARA?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just look at the committee setup and you will know. Many of them are not actually linked with badminton in their life. Not sure why they are having the post. Anyway, i shall stop it. Sorry Ot

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aiya
    rashid sidek thought he have many great ms in hand(lcw,lcw,lcw,lcw,lcw and lcw lol)
    so no need to rush
    he can goyang kaki until lcw retired,by then he had earn enough and can resign from bam
    wow
    what a great business plan!hehe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Zulfadli Zulkifli has been offered to play for the United States in the Thomas Cup

Zulfadli Zulkifli has been offered to play for the United States in the Thomas Cup.

An article by HARESH DEOL
    Monday, December 12th, 2011

Source: http://www.mmail.com.my/content/8722...-says-zulfadli

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

KUALA LUMPUR: World and Asian junior champion Zulfadli Zulkifli has been offered to play for the United States in the Thomas Cup.

Internal bickering and the failure to acknowledge Zulfadli's efforts could prompt the youngster to don Uncle Sam’s colours.

Zulfadli is yet to receive his incentives estimated at RM50,000 since last year.

However, the Los Angeles-born lad does not want to turn his back on Malaysia — not at the moment, anyway.

Zulfadli’s dad Zulkifli Sidek, who is also his coach, confirmed his son was approached by the US Badminton Association and a US player. They want to strengthen the US team for the Thomas Cup.

It is pertinent to point out Zulkifli used to train the US team from 1990-94.

"My son said no. He wants to play for Malaysia and I guess he pretty much made up his mind,” said Zulkifli.

“I also want Zulfadli to play for Malaysia and I’m happy he made that choice.

"But I hope to see Zulfadli in the Malaysian team for next year's Thomas Cup, even as a reserve.”

BAM have yet to name the squad for the Thomas Cup in May 20-27 in Wuhan, China.

Former junior player Arif Latiff was part of the Thomas Cup team in 2008.

Zulfadli was apparently approached by an official during last year’s Thomas and Uber Cups held in KL. The USA team played in the Uber Cup.

American player Howard Bach followed up later to ask Zulfadli to consider playing for US as they “lacked singles players”.

Zulfadli, who plays under the KLRC banner, is yet to receive his incentives since winning honours for the country last year.

Zulfadli was the placed third in the 2010 Asia Junior championships and the national team were runnersup in the same competition.

This year, he won the World and Asian junior championships and the Commonwealth Youth Games.

Zulkifli insisted his son was not demanding the incentives but found it strange how quickly Sea Games medal-winners were rewarded in a pomp affair.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak graced that ceremony at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara on Friday.

Zulfadli is preparing for the India Open GP Gold (Dec 20-25) before heading to the US for a training cum holiday stint.

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 12-12-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol
    bam no money lah
    haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by undeadshot View Post
    Loh, I totally agree with you. Winning the AJC and WJC is nothing if the winner doesn't make it big on the senior stage.

Zulfadli hasn't beaten any high-ranking players while Viktor did. You might even say that Zul might not be better than Viktor in many aspects on the game, just more intelligent. He still has a long way to go and it's annoying that people have already seemed to make him sound like a champion in a matter of time.
    eh....hello.. isnt being bit more intelligent than the other guy... the holy grail of all sports? isnt that the whole point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zulkifli Sidek, IMHO, is being a little bit too vocal about ZZ's right to be given a spot in Thomas Cup, questioning ZZ's right to receive incentive like the athletes that participated in SEA games, sparring with LCW...

This is either going to encourage ZZ more or putting more pressure on him. I say Zulkifli Sidek counting his chickens more than us before they're hatched, albeit he has the right to do. However, the whole thing makes it more interesting to see how ZZ will progress in the future.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aikachan View Post
    Zulkifli Sidek, IMHO, is being a little bit too vocal about ZZ's right to be given a spot in Thomas Cup, questioning ZZ's right to receive incentive like the athletes that participated in SEA games, sparring with LCW...

This is either going to encourage ZZ more or putting more pressure on him. I say Zulkifli Sidek counting his chickens more than us before they're hatched, albeit he has the right to do. However, the whole thing makes it more interesting to see how ZZ will progress in the future.
    IMHO, Zulkifli Sidek is not putting more pressure on ZZ, but on BAM.

Zulkifli Sidek is Malaysian and is ZZ's father, coach and manager. He has the right to tell Malaysia (or BAM) not to treat ZZ differently just because ZZ is born in the USA and wish not to be under BAM's umbrella.

Perhaps BCers in the USA (or even I, in Australia) see things differently from the BAM people.

In the USA and Australia, good players are welcomed to play our national teams. In Malaysia, BAM seems to insist that players must be a BAM member/participant before getting to play for Malaysia.

Here, I find BAM is more about politics and less about our Badminton.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 12-12-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .zulkifli insisted his son was not demanding the incentives but found it strange how quickly sea games medal-winners were rewarded in a pomp affair.
    double standard in handling players affair... Sad bam is such an a$$h0le

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    IMHO, Zulkifli Sidek is not putting more pressure on ZZ, but on BAM.
    That being said, ZZ and his dad have to do more than winning AJC and WJC to wow BAM, which is not a bad thing coz those higher ups in BAM need to be teach some long overdue lessons. In the mean time, I really hope ZZ will stay to play (permanently) for MAS since I don't really see any of BAM's MS players closing the gap between them and LCW anytime soon (or is there? Let me know ok ppl ).
    Last edited by Aikachan; 12-12-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder whether ZZ will be considered a "foreign talent" if he were to play for the USA although he was born there?

Or will he be a "foreign talent" to MAS if BAM finally selects him to play for MAS?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think one would be considered a foreign talent if one plays for his country of birth.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    lolbam no money lahhaha
    Those are under NSC lah, not BAM. That includes WJC, AJC i not if its in the scheme.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    Don't think one would be considered a foreign talent if one plays for his country of birth.
    So does he qualify as a "foreign talent" if he plays for MAS, since ZZ was not born there.

It seems to me that some think that a local must be born and bred in the same country.

Page 20 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast