User Tag List

Page 107 of 146 FirstFirst ... 7 57 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,803 to 1,819 of 2473
  1. #1803
    Regular Member j4ckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,846
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    I don't mishit with the MX - so far managed some huge smashes, this is actually great because I had lots of problems with the ZS and still have. I had little time with the mx but has been very impressive.

    Did you mean you get elbow pain when your string tension is high?
    I just restrung both the ZS and MX with bg80@26lbs

    What can be done to dampen the vibrations on the racket?
    Like visor said, other than the racket, only the string plays a part in feedback - so softer feeling strings and lower tensions help with elbow/wrist/shoulder issues that don't go away after a few weeks of adapting to the racket. Examples of soft feeling string would be BG68Ti, BG65, NBG95, BG66UM, BG66sharp, BG66 (in that order). Perhaps 1lbs less will be okay? That would help a great deal as well - I changed the old NBG98 on my BS09 (25-26lbs remaining) to a 27 BG80 when it broke, and it feels like a whole new racket. Much harder, which is a bad thing for a change because I had just gotten used to the soft, easy feeling and the effortless clears behind the body

  2. #1804
    Regular Member Maklike Tier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,253
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    First off, avoid hard feeling strings like bg80 on extra stiff rackets like mx80!
    That's a bit unfair! Although somewhat true haha! Honestly, if you're struggling with BG80 @ 26lbs (a tension and string that's great on the BS11, btw), try VS850 or ZM67 @ 23x24lbs. Et Viola - your net game and backhand will return as normal.

  3. #1805
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So I brought out the MX80 tonight, first time I've used it in a while but adjusted no problem.

    The thing is, I played doubles with it, and although it feels good using it, I just don't seem to play as well as I do with the SW35, don't get me wrong I love the racket, just something about it that tells me that it is hurting my game when I'm using it and costing me points.

    Need to figure out what it is, cause the control and accuracy as well as speed is there for sure, but just something missing...

  4. #1806
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Like visor said, other than the racket, only the string plays a part in feedback - so softer feeling strings and lower tensions help with elbow/wrist/shoulder issues that don't go away after a few weeks of adapting to the racket. Examples of soft feeling string would be BG68Ti, BG65, NBG95, BG66UM, BG66sharp, BG66 (in that order). Perhaps 1lbs less will be okay? That would help a great deal as well - I changed the old NBG98 on my BS09 (25-26lbs remaining) to a 27 BG80 when it broke, and it feels like a whole new racket. Much harder, which is a bad thing for a change because I had just gotten used to the soft, easy feeling and the effortless clears behind the body

    I hope the bg80@26lbs will work well for my game If net play and drop shot freedback is worse then it will be wrong choice of tension and i will have to go for a lower value anyway. From what I read here, nobody likes the mx with lower tensions but its unclear whether higher tension and harder string means more or less feedback. I will see that when I play next

  5. #1807
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    meteor,
    I always think finding the right string/tension + right flex of racket for you is important to reduce the chances of the arm pain. (from your description, may be it is related to tennis elbow?)

    And the right balance racket for shoulder pain. Remember badminton is a life long sport, you don;t want to overdo it and completely injure yourself.

    Have you ever tried a medium or medium-stiff flex racket? It is just that the three rackets you have are all quite stiff.

  6. #1808
    Regular Member Maklike Tier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,253
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    From what I read here, nobody likes the mx with lower tensions
    It's just fine at 23-24lbs!
    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    but its unclear whether higher tension and harder string means more or less feedback.
    Take a wild guess.

  7. #1809
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssgg007 View Post
    meteor,
    I always think finding the right string/tension + right flex of racket for you is important to reduce the chances of the arm pain. (from your description, may be it is related to tennis elbow?)

    And the right balance racket for shoulder pain. Remember badminton is a life long sport, you don;t want to overdo it and completely injure yourself.

    Have you ever tried a medium or medium-stiff flex racket? It is just that the three rackets you have are all quite stiff.
    Absolutely right. If my pain persists or get worse I will definitely be looking to change racket/tension.
    I have used medium stiff wilsons and carltons - very nice but I always wanted more power.
    I am stiil contemplating buying one of the bs and selling the voltric or the ZS. BS12 is medium stiff, even balance and has a fast swing.

    I got arm pain ever only with VT80 - 3u and the mx but it's too early to say about the mx because I just changed the balance point after the previous session and restrung.

  8. #1810
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    Take a wild guess.
    Higher tension - more repulsion - less time the shuttle spends on the string bed - less feedback?

  9. #1811
    Regular Member j4ckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,846
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No. Higher tension = harder impact. The softer the string and racket get, the 'duller' the feedback....pretty commonly known fact. Actually the reason why pros string so hard - they do it for control, not power (in most cases).

  10. #1812
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,094
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    There's a lot of confusion re string and stringing, feel, power, control. If anyone wants to understand better, I found this site from the makers of Zymax to be extremely informative.

    http://www.ashawayusa.com/BadmintonTips.php
    Last edited by visor; 01-14-2012 at 01:57 PM.

  11. #1813
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    No. Higher tension = harder impact. The softer the string and racket get, the 'duller' the feedback....pretty commonly known fact. Actually the reason why pros string so hard - they do it for control, not power (in most cases).
    That's true, I read somewhere that the optimum tension for power is around 24lbs (when they do smashing tests, they will use this tension). Pro's only string higher for control and also because their technique is good enough to retain that power by hitting the sweet spot consistently. Amateurs and intermediate players may find that they have no benefits going higher than 24-26lbs.

  12. #1814
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the explanations j4ckie, matsu_des, ssgg007 - Visor thanks for the link - great stuff!

    If MX80 was my main racket I am considering the BS10 or BS12 as the second choice.
    The medium flex BS12 with softer strings could be an easier light racket to use sometimes instead of the mx.
    My previous readings made me believe that the BS10 is a pretty unique and awesome racket and I would have bought it if I didnt came across the MX80 and how similar is to the BS10 except better.

    In the UK the BS10 and 12 are quite cheap so I am tempted to sell my yonexes to get one of these.
    Having said that, I love playing with the Z slash (swing is amazing) but I lose points due to persistent inconsistency.
    I always thought of the BS10 as a Zslash minus the problems.

    My ideea is to marry the MX with a racket that is quite similar - from the same family - same fast swing and all that... so when I change it doesnt feel alien but easier - lighter head and maybe more effortless.

    Any ideas based on your experiences? Cheers!

  13. #1815
    Regular Member Maklike Tier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,253
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    If MX80 was my main racket I am considering the BS10 or BS12 as the second choice. The medium flex BS12 with softer strings could be an easier light racket to use sometimes instead of the mx.

    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    My previous readings made me believe that the BS10 is a pretty unique and awesome racket and I would have bought it if I didnt came across the MX80 and how similar is to the BS10 except better.
    I don't know where you get your information from, but the MX80 is not 'better' than the BS10. Performance-wise having owned a few of them I put them on par. The BS10 is the classic in the Victor range.

    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    I always thought of the BS10 as a Zslash minus the problems.
    No no no no no. The Carlton Vapour Trail Tour is the Z-Slash minus the problems. The BS10 is not like either of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    My idea is to marry the MX with a racket that is quite similar - from the same family - same fast swing and all that... so when I change it doesnt feel alien but easier - lighter head and maybe more effortless.
    I tried that with the MX70 but didn't feel there was enough difference to warrant it. In fact, I'm completely over the idea of having a 'rainy day' racket now because I think it's a band-aid - your go-to racket shouldn't be that demanding that you're looking for another racket.

    I know a lot of people subscribe to this notion, but I'm over it. Now I just have rackets to suit my mood.

  14. #1816
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    I don't know where you get your information from, but the MX80 is not 'better' than the BS10. Performance-wise having owned a few of them I put them on par. The BS10 is the classic in the Victor range.
    Its tough to get objective info on badminton rackets. You read about peoples experiences and personal reviews, filter the information and then believe what you want to believe
    Reading through more than half of this thread, got the impression that it is positively compared to the BS10.


    Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    I tried that with the MX70 but didn't feel there was enough difference to warrant it. In fact, I'm completely over the idea of having a 'rainy day' racket now because I think it's a band-aid - your go-to racket shouldn't be that demanding that you're looking for another racket.

    I know a lot of people subscribe to this notion, but I'm over it. Now I just have rackets to suit my mood.
    Fair enough. I hope the mx80 will become my main go-to racket. I've put the ZS on e-bay and ordered BS10 from Centralsports.

  15. #1817
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    since you are probably thinking of picking the european version of the BS10. take a look at pauls review.
    http://badminton-coach.co.uk/1027/vi...acquet-review/

    For some odd reason, rackets in the bravesword range can to be different for different region.

  16. #1818
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssgg007 View Post
    since you are probably thinking of picking the european version of the BS10. take a look at pauls review.
    http://badminton-coach.co.uk/1027/vi...acquet-review/

    For some odd reason, rackets in the bravesword range can to be different for different region.
    I have read the review, sounds promising. In what way different? Balance, weight?
    I know the G3 grip size is more like G4 - same as on the MX80 I have.

  17. #1819
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it is to do with balance and flex. So you have to take a look at the following. and read some of the bravesword threads.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...95#post1797695

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...61#post1797761

Similar Threads

  1. FS/FT: Victor Meteor MX80 (MY)
    By mizivincible in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 9
    : 03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
  2. FS: Mint Victor Meteor 80 MX-80 MX80 badminton racquet w/ new BG-70 pro string (GTA)
    By vtnam007 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
  3. FT: Victor Meteor MX70 for Meteor MX80
    By kenny_eng in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 1
    : 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
  4. WTB: Victor Meteor MX80
    By KB@TB Em in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 07-17-2011, 07:46 AM
  5. WTB: Victor meteor MX80
    By araz916 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 05-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •