User Tag List

Page 31 of 148 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 81 131 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 527 of 2507
  1. #511
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,248
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    +1000 druss and jumpsmash

    although sometimes our speed and power fluctuate from time to time and day to day, depending on our energy level, partner, opponents etc.

    so, sometimes i'll use a less demanding racket (ie. less stiff with lower tension) and other times a potentially more powerful racket (ie. stiffer with higher tension)

    note "potentially" is emphasized, because the racket itself is not anymore powerful than another... but it can hit harder when more power is available for input

  2. #512
    Regular Member jump-smash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    +1000 druss and jumpsmash

    although sometimes our speed and power fluctuate from time to time and day to day, depending on our energy level, partner, opponents etc.

    so, sometimes i'll use a less demanding racket (ie. less stiff with lower tension) and other times a potentially more powerful racket (ie. stiffer with higher tension)

    note "potentially" is emphasized, because the racket itself is not anymore powerful than another... but it can hit harder when more power is available for input
    exactly ...!
    so the extra stiff rackets and thick string + high tension are designed for hard hitters / strong players
    because they are more potential if applied with enough amount of power / energy
    comparing to more flex rackets and thinner strings with lower tensions
    in the same conditions, same user with the same partner against the same opponent using the same shuttlecock
    but unfortunately more potential rackets are more demanding
    they require more strength and skill
    Last edited by jump-smash; 03-27-2011 at 12:19 AM.

  3. #513
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Basically, it's just a matter of matching your skill. Some swing harder/faster than others, some don't. For instance, I still use steel shafts on my golf club irons because 1. graphite is too expensive; 2. I swing fast enough that I'd end up with an open face at contact. Same is true for badminton shafts, if the racket is too flexible for your use then the head is farther back than it should be at contact but... if you don't swing fast/hard enough then the flexible shaft actually helps you get power. That's why you see a lot of older people using graphite shaft irons in golf, they just can't swing fast enough anymore and the shafts help them get power and more distance.

  4. #514
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,248
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    druss,

    re golf, iirc there was a company that would use high speed video to analyze your swing and customize appropriate clubs for you, depending on your swing speed and power

    if someone did that for badminton players, i'd be first in line ... at least from then on, i wouldn't have to buy and test various different rackets in order to find ones that are suitable for my swing

  5. #515
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,248
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    jumpsmash,

    wish i were the one who thought of it, but i must credit Dinkalot for being one who coined the "relative demand index" of a racket

    essentially the more potentially powerful the racket is for advanced players, the more demanding and less forgiving it becomes if used by players with weaker strokes or techniques.

  6. #516
    Regular Member jump-smash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @ visor

    good info man ... custom made rackets that suits your swing speed and power wow ! that's something new and original
    a shortcut so we all don't need to go through that "trial and error" process of buying a new racket and hope it will be suitable

  7. #517
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    druss,

    re golf, iirc there was a company that would use high speed video to analyze your swing and customize appropriate clubs for you, depending on your swing speed and power

    if someone did that for badminton players, i'd be first in line ... at least from then on, i wouldn't have to buy and test various different rackets in order to find ones that are suitable for my swing
    Yep, I know there are 240 fps cameras and I'm guessing that's what they do. For irons it's not such a big thing but for a driver it''s much more important due to the length of the club and the head speed. I'd be very interested in that, I don't think they could custom make a racket but could tell you which racket stiffness is best for you.

    Remember that even for golf, all they can do is select from available equipment, of course there are many different levels of stiffness of shaft, and multiple angles at the club face that can be changed. For rackets it would be super simple, just stiffness and balance point.

  8. #518
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,248
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    "We use the twenty-one specifications of a golf club to help you obtain the five game improvement goals:



    • Distance
    • Accuracy
    • Consistency
    • Trajectory
    • Feel The twenty-one specifications of a golf club are:

    • Loft - to get the correct trajectory and distance
    • Lie - crucial for accuracy, especially in the "scoring" clubs
    • Bulge - affects how controllable our off-centre driver shots are
    • Roll - important for effective launch angle
    • Face Angle - can help tremendously with a slice or hook
    • Sole Angle - important to get right so we do not bury our wedges
    • Offset - helps with squaring the clubface at impact
    • Head design and material - get the correct design for your particular needs
    • Shaft Flex - we match the flex to your swing speed, tempo, and release
    • Shaft Torque - avoid a shaft that is too stiff or too flexable.
    • Shaft Weight - get the weight correct and it matches your natural tempo
    • Shaft Spine Alignment - we ensure the spine is aligned during assembly
    • Shaft Bend Profile - get the correct profile to help with desired ball flight
    • Shaft Material and Design - Graphite? Steel? Scandium? Composite?
    • Grip Size - the only point of contact with the club, it has to feel right
    • Grip Weight - better consistency and feel
    • Grip Material - feel and performance
    • Club Length - the most crucial factor for consistent on-centre hits
    • Club MOI - a MOI matched set means one swing for all clubs
    • Club Weight - light for more distance, heaver for more control
    • Set Makeup - a custom set can be tailored for you. Want to play 4 hybrids and start your irons at # 7 ? Do you like to play forged 3, 4, and 5 irons, and cast in 6 to PW ?"
    Just googled for customized golf clubs by video analysis and one site mentions the above specs taken into consideration in selecting a club for a specific swing speed, tempo and release. Very interesting concept!

    If only someone would come up with a system for badminton players...

  9. #519
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    I guess the point is that most people are looking for the perfect racket to complement their skills, in most cases it's a difficult search because of the shear number of rackets out there. That said, I don't think you're getting the most out of this racket if you can't bend the shaft a bit to create the power. If you can't, then why get it and try to use strings to compensate? Just get a racket that is better suited. Don't get this, or any racket, just because it's popular. The best racket for your playing style, along with the best strings at the best tension, this is what we're all looking for.... why start out with a racket that you have to "get used to"? Sorry, I'm not trying to criticize but I really don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to buy a racket that doesn't suit them when there are so many out there that may.

    Juz for discussion purposes and no flames intended....to a certain extent i do agree with ur statement in that i also do not believe in following the crowd blindly juz for the sake of it....e.g, most ppl would use 3U, but i have stick with 4U....i'm not a professional player by any standard and perhaps an intermediate player who plays regularly....my point in buying MX80 is primarily becoz it looks good! Not so much as influence by other's judgement....i did my fare share of research in finding out the specs and details....on specs it looks unplayable and more towards professional player's standard....but overcome by the aesthetics of the racquet, i juz bought and try it out and it works out fine....perhaps i couldnt generate the level of play that i'm used to, but neither have i deteoriate much from using it.....i think alot of forummers are juz intermediate levels who could actually try out various types of racquets by adjusting their play abit....at intermediate level, i do see alot of ppl using various kinds of racquets from those headlights (NS9900, some apacs models) to those using head-heavy (AT900P, etc) and from flex to stiff....so wat does it shows? It means at intermediate level alot of ppl does have a choice in wat racquet they prefer to use and not becoz they cant handle it....it's not so much of changing urself to match the racquet as if u find some racquet u really like, perhaps u can always adjust ur play to suit to it....nothing is ever perfect juz like Tiger Woods keeps changing his swing even when he was at the peak of his career....henceforth i do not agree totally to ur statement of "I really don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to buy a racket that doesn't suit them when there are so many out there that may" as different ppl does have different requirements/perspective

  10. #520
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,148
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    my new toy is now within walking distance from me. i shall see its full beauty tonight. and of course, share it with all of you.

  11. #521
    Regular Member Naim.F.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    my new toy is now within walking distance from me. i shall see its full beauty tonight. and of course, share it with all of you.
    Yay! Please post lots of high res pics along with impressions! Especially would like comparisons with the BS10!

  12. #522
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Porky View Post
    Juz for discussion purposes and no flames intended....to a certain extent i do agree with ur statement in that i also do not believe in following the crowd blindly juz for the sake of it....e.g, most ppl would use 3U, but i have stick with 4U....i'm not a professional player by any standard and perhaps an intermediate player who plays regularly....my point in buying MX80 is primarily becoz it looks good! Not so much as influence by other's judgement....i did my fare share of research in finding out the specs and details....on specs it looks unplayable and more towards professional player's standard....but overcome by the aesthetics of the racquet, i juz bought and try it out and it works out fine....perhaps i couldnt generate the level of play that i'm used to, but neither have i deteoriate much from using it.....i think alot of forummers are juz intermediate levels who could actually try out various types of racquets by adjusting their play abit....at intermediate level, i do see alot of ppl using various kinds of racquets from those headlights (NS9900, some apacs models) to those using head-heavy (AT900P, etc) and from flex to stiff....so wat does it shows? It means at intermediate level alot of ppl does have a choice in wat racquet they prefer to use and not becoz they cant handle it....it's not so much of changing urself to match the racquet as if u find some racquet u really like, perhaps u can always adjust ur play to suit to it....nothing is ever perfect juz like Tiger Woods keeps changing his swing even when he was at the peak of his career....henceforth i do not agree totally to ur statement of "I really don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to buy a racket that doesn't suit them when there are so many out there that may" as different ppl does have different requirements/perspective
    You're right, many people do have different requirements... which is why there are so many different rackets with their own unique specs. Yes many people can get used to a certain racket and make it work, to me that's not the point though. If you want to buy a bunch of rackets to try out then by all means do so but as good as the mx80 seems in specs to those of a more advanced level I would not recommend it as the best racket for everyone.

    I have a friend who uses the 9000X, he's not a great player, has a slow swing speed and has to wear an elbow brace. I keep telling him that he should try a mid stiff, even to slightly head heavy balance point racket but he keeps refusing. IMO his elbow is just going to continually get worse due to the xtra stiff shaft but in the end it's his choice.

  13. #523
    Regular Member blindfury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    my new toy is now within walking distance from me. i shall see its full beauty tonight. and of course, share it with all of you.
    thank you! quality pics will be greatly appreciated!

  14. #524
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,248
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    I have a friend who uses the 9000X, he's not a great player, has a slow swing speed and has to wear an elbow brace. I keep telling him that he should try a mid stiff, even to slightly head heavy balance point racket but he keeps refusing. IMO his elbow is just going to continually get worse due to the xtra stiff shaft but in the end it's his choice.
    There is a person in my playing group who's exactly like that too, using the same racket, wearing an elbow brace, and developing shoulder tendinitis! Problem is he's also shorter than average with shorter arms and his swing speed is awfully slow. But he just won't listen... :shrug

  15. #525
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,148
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    pics of my new baby is here. just some quick snaps. let me know if you want to see some more.

    Name:  2M6Q9821.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  113.5 KBName:  2M6Q9810.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  122.2 KBName:  2M6Q9812.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  126.5 KBName:  2M6Q9817.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  120.2 KBName:  2M6Q9818.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  114.3 KBName:  2M6Q9824.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  124.8 KBName:  2M6Q9823.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  105.5 KBName:  2M6Q9806.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  123.7 KBName:  2M6Q9803.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  120.2 KBName:  2M6Q9822.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  118.5 KBName:  2M6Q9811.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  127.7 KBName:  2M6Q9826.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  140.0 KB

  16. #526
    Regular Member Naim.F.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes! You legend Kwun! Been rushing to this thread every time I get an email notification waiting for your updates with the racket! Haha (I'm so sad ). Best pics of the MX80 yet. What DSLR you using? Beautiful depth of field and bokeh!

    Can't wait for your impressions. I will say, I absolutely love the manga like art work of this racket, and the unique octagonal frame shape. Love it every time Victor play around with racket aerodynamic properties. The sign of a true innovator! Also love the bits on the sides with the carbon fibre patterning. Guessing this is just a print?

  17. #527
    Regular Member Maklike Tier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,257
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I love that most of the black is raw carbon.

    Nah, it's not a print, Naim. The MX80 has a filament wound shaft and woven head.

Similar Threads

  1. FS/FT: Victor Meteor MX80 (MY)
    By mizivincible in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 9
    : 03-31-2012, 03:43 PM
  2. FS: Mint Victor Meteor 80 MX-80 MX80 badminton racquet w/ new BG-70 pro string (GTA)
    By vtnam007 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
  3. FT: Victor Meteor MX70 for Meteor MX80
    By kenny_eng in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 1
    : 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
  4. WTB: Victor Meteor MX80
    By KB@TB Em in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 07-17-2011, 07:46 AM
  5. WTB: Victor meteor MX80
    By araz916 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 05-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •