should I start recieving private coaching?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by IX-MATT-XI, Dec 20, 2010.

1. IX-MATT-XI

IX-MATT-XI Regular Member

student
    [FONT=&quot]Hi,
    I am thinking about looking for a private coach to do maybe one session a week, I am at an intermediate level and have played abit of county but not much :S. But do you think it is worth it? I am doing three sessions at different clubs a week, which costs around £60 a month. However I don't feel I'm improving as much as I want to.

Secondly how should I go about finding a good coach to train with? Also what are average rates per hour?

Thank you[/FONT]

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Private coaching I would say is worth it, if you are looking to improve a lot, but you have to give 100% for the whole session, otherwise you are wasting your money. It is good fun, and it will certainly improve you if you try hard.

I have started to recieve 1-1 coaching, but once every 2-3 weeks. (usually 2 but depends if I have exams and stuff)

Prices and quality of coaching can vary. I am quite lucky. Prices can range from as low as £15 to £30, the coaching standard doesn't always reflect the price though, I pay £15 and I get very good quality, and I enjoy it. But by paying morex it doesn't mean it is better, although the guy who charges £30 is widely regarded as the best 1-1 coach round here. Although I like the coach I have, as he coaches me about 2 times a week. Plus the private session.

Best thing to do is ask coaches in your area that you think are good quality coaches, and ask them if they are willing to do 1-1 coaching. Then you can discuss times and prices.

Good luck :)

#2 LD rules!, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Continue with a coach who could help you to improve. Otherwise, find another coach

Receiving coaching is receiving advice to improve oneself.

Coaches aim to stimulate trainee to uncover innate knowledge so that trainee can achieve a sustainable result.

A coach is a teacher. You need to ask your coach to teach you why you are poor in certain aspects in your game.

Continue with a coach who could help you to improve. Otherwise, find another coach.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the key is to find a good coach. coaches varies from someone who can really analyse, explain and teaches you techniques, to merely just a sparing/drilling partner.

5. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I see that you're from Hampshire, a hog like me. I moved away a long time ago now. The best advice would be to enquire with the County Association. You may want also to consider small group coaching, say 3-4 players to 1 coach. Not only would this make it more affordable, the coach can also analyse your play in better detail and set up practices more affectively.

In Southampton area I was coached by the late Eddy Peckham many years ago, a lovely bloke and a great servant to badminton too. Not sure if his son Mark Peckham is still local and coaching. It would be worth finding out.
    Good luck