Reasonably priced but durable feathered shuttles?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Derek S-H, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    Hi All

I play for a very small intermediate club in the UK, no more than 6-8 members.

We have only switched to using feathered shuttles this year after years of using Yonex plastics. We have stuck with Yonex feathers as it is a brand we know and trust, but they are just so expensive, even the slower speeds - around £20 a tube of 12 in shops.

Does anyone have any other more affordable recommendations?

I've noticed RSL being mentioned here quite a few times, and there is a famous online auction site that sells them right across the speed range in batches of six dozen for around £60, but they're mainly from Hong Kong.

Any problems here with quality, reliability and durability or should I just stick with buying from UK sellers only?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Derek

2. Badderz_Alpha

Badderz_Alpha Regular Member

Hi Derek,

Yes, there are several brands out there that are more affordable than Yonex! I don't have any experience of RSL or buying from abroad unfortunately. We have Forza shuttles in stock at the moment (£11.00 - £13.50) which are a great value shuttle, there are also others such as Yehlex out there, but these don't have the durability... (I play with these at my club... and they fall apart easily!)

hope that helps...

find us at facebook.com/badmintonalpha or on twitter @badderz_alpha

3. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    Thanks for your reply, Badderz.

I think it's time I did some research in this field. I've spent so many years just turning up and playing and never really giving any thought to the shuttle choices, so it feels like learning a whole new subject - but I like a challenge!

The Yonexes do feel good, are consistent in flight and fairly durable, they're just not very affordable for a small group like ours.

I do actually play at another, much bigger group that is affiliated to the BAE and they get good quality shuttles at a very competitive price - around £9.60 for a dozen, so buying from them is always an option.

Thanks again
    Derek

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    You shouldn't be paying anywhere near £20 per dozen - even for the more expensive Yonex shuttles (AS-50 are £17.50 online).

At the cheaper end of the spectrum, I'd recommend the Wilson Topline 80 or Ashaway Int'l 500. In my experience, anything cheaper than that is a waste of money, due to the poor durability and inconsistent playability - if you're not willing to pay £13 per dozen, then you're better off sticking to plastics.

If you're prepared to pay more, then I'd get Yonex AS-40 (again, don't bother with AS-30 or lower quality Yonex shuttles). They're very good quality shuttles, and the price difference between them and RSL#1 / Carlton GT1 / etc is not that great at the moment.
    http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/...uttlecocks/shop_by_type/_Feather_Shuttlecocks

Bear in mind that durability is *very* important. Good quality shuttles may seem expensive, but they are more durable and can last much longer - meaning the long term price difference may not be as great as you think.

Also, be prepared to shop around - shuttle prices seem to change quite frequently, so there are often bargains to be had if you do your homework and don't mind switching brands.

5. Derek S-H

Derek S-H Regular Member

Care Worker
    Hi Sketchy

Thanks for your reply and link - very helpful.

What I didn't make clear in my reply to Badderz is that I can get BAE certified shuttles from my other group at a very heavily subsidised price, hence £9.60 for a dozen. I'm sure that they are easily twice that price in reality, and I've found them to be very reliable and durable.

It just depends on whether I can make it a regular selling and buying arrangement with the organiser, if not, then I'll definitely shop online and try the brands you suggested.

Thanks
    Derek