Problems

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wins, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    I have a problem and will like to ask for ur experience and why do it happen ??
    My problems:
    - My habit of not drinking water made mi play like @!#$ when i am in a hot(temp at abt 37 C) hall.
    When i sweat too much, i tends to feel weak and affect my accuracy. After the game, i will sick juz like having fever.

- When i play with my younger brother and his friends and also my schoolfriends, it tends to affect my skills. i dun want to smash at them and their stroke are weak so after i play with them, i join my teacher. But i dun noe why i play at the same as my friends. I remember the best time i play is in my school hall(normal room temp) with my teacher all day. Does the level of the ppl u play with affect ur skills too ????

- When i play with many other racquets for one day cos i forget to bring my own, and the next day i try to play with my own racquet. It seems that i couldn't control my racquet.

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I had this problem before. I just never felt like drinking any water. When i felt thirsty once in school during and i drank plenty of water. It took away the 'dizzy' feeling in my head.

But don't drink too much or you'll feel the water swashing in your stomach. Believe me it will help. I've been in the Tampines Sports Hall, its just like a sauna in there

3. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Sorry, i forgot....... the last point about the rackets, its because all rackets are different, head shape, weight distribution, flex etc.

You should try to stick with the same racket model or rackets that are of similar compositions. Get used to 1 and stick with it. ITs better that way. Thats why i couldn't switch to the Ti-10. Its too head heavy for me and its Isometric.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    My friend...

You're sweating too much, and relying on the cool breeze to help cool you down, this is bad, because it can easily lead to ear infection, or even a cold.
    Basically when you're sweating your body beefs up the security mechanisms like you have a cold, and it's trying to fight it off.

However when you start to cool down, and your body realizes, "oh it was a false alarm, I over reacted" it shuts down more of your immune system response mechanisms, opening you up to the cold air, which in turn will cause you to get sick, because your body was over worked.

When you drink water, you basically help replenish your body of the fluid that it's loosing when you're hot.
    This helps to regulate your body temperature, and keep you at a happy medium. :)

Think back to your science class, when you studied water, and it's specific heat capacity.
    If you remember, it can hold certain temperatures for a certain period of time.
    Very decent, in keeping you warm.
    That's why on a cold day over here, parents feed their children HOT food/fluids in order to keep them warm.
    Pretty interesting actually.

My point... Drink some water. :)
    It'll keep you from getting those nasty feverish feelings.

I'm combining your last two questions...

In essence, when you play too much in a row, you will tire out, and definitely play like crap.
    When I trained back in the day, it was for roughly 4 days straight, but on different skills each day for about 3-4 hours a day.
    This helps to balance out your body's muscle development/control.

Just like when you lift weights... in order to build bigger stronger muscles. You tear apart the muscle tissue when you exercise, and allow lactic acid to flow into your muscles.
    This fact alone is reason enough to stretch properly, and warm up before you do any sort of strenuous activities!!! Basically the acid in your muscles is what makes you feel sore.
    As your muscles have not repaired themselves yet, you feel the sensation of pain.

When you stretch, it relieves your muscles of the acid, thus squeezing it out of the little tears, and fractures... with a day or two your muscle repairs itself, and becomes bigger, and stronger.

Steroid use is using this same concept, only it keeps the acid in your muscles for longer periods of time!!! When the acid stays in the muscle, it stays "poofier" giving it a big fat puffy look to it, and as it repairs, with the acid still there, it gets even bigger, and even faster.
    Unfortunately there are huge drawbacks to this. I don't recommend it at all.
    Unless you're a guy who wants to look like a woman, and a woman who wants to look like a guy. Steroids alter your hormone production, and also produces more adrenaline giving you more energy to go and work out. Totally bad cause it f***s up your body completely.

Anyways... back on topic now... to relieve acid from your muscles, you should stretch, drink lots of fluid, and eat a lot of bananas.
    The sodium in the bananas reacts with the acid helping to relieve it faster, and thus helping you feel less pain.
    Bananas aren't just good for monkey's you know. :)

5. May

May Guest

Re: My friend...

That's ryt, and ummmmmmmm............I will be back when I remember what I wanted to say.

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

hehehe... sorry, I made my post too long and you forgot.

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

Did you just wake up? cause you seemed to have forgotten what you wanted to say in a few threads now. :)

8. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student

Thanks for ur post, Kelvin and Byron. I am sticking to my slim 10. But when i use other racquets for one day, I will then have problem to recontrol my racquet. And indeed it is true that i should drink more water. Thanks . I will drink more water. But banana sounds strange. I will try it. Thanks. By the way, i think may is too stress out (by #%%$ factors) to remember her post. Hehehe. Juz kiding. Hope that May can join mi in my game. Hopefully. But remember to come back to gvie ur forgotten post. ;)

9. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    I sometimes don't even drink water..I just drink Powerade or Gatorade to get my energy going.

10. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Some people need more water than other people. Probably the same thing like why people are fat and some aren't. It all depends on your metabolism rate..... I wish my metabolism rate was slightly slower. Mine is too high. I haven't put on a kg in 6 months.....

11. Don

Don Regular Member

Try creatine... For atheletes that need to put on the extra poundage. This stuff will add maybe a pound a week and so forth. One word of caution, it is good to be physically active i.e doing something to convert to fat to muscle. I know a guy that is having weight problems now because he abused creatine...

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Misconceptions

Kelvin,

Where did you get these concepts from. I find some of the ideas quite strange.

For example, lactic acid flowing into muscles and steroids producing more adrenaline.

The primary reason for drinking water is to maintain the osmotic environment of the body fluids. A secondary effect would be absorption of heat.

Sodium reacts with acid? Doesn't the neutralisation of an acid come about by reaction with an alkali or base?
    The sodium is already in an ionic form.

13. May

May Guest

keep quiet, and oh, don't drink sports drinks like Gatorade, i can't remember why though.

14. May

May Guest

u r not the only one. I eat so much snacks, and i never put on any weight, not unless I have grown taller as well.

15. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

These are all medical evidence done in case studies.
    Sport doctors know of these things, as do your regular physicians... do not question me as I could have gone into pre-med, rather opting to finish business instead.

If you do not understand how lactic acid works with your muscles I suggest you go read up on it.
    Also about steroids, and their usages.
    Do you happen to weight train like I do?
    I didn't think so either.
    It's all rather simple, but I suggest in order for you to learn of these things for yourself, to go read, and retain this knowledge.

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

One more thing... the chemistry you learned about leading into biochemistry is far more complex. ;)

17. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Because they contain too much sugar. More than ca 4% glucose will actually make you MORE tired in the end, because it will produce a boost in insulin production.

About 2.5% is just right, plus a pinch of salt (not too much!). The salt will make you take the fluid up quicker than if it's just plain water.

As a rule, room-tempered water is better than most commercial sports drinks.

18. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Corrections...

I meant potassium instead of sodium, and Mag corrected me properly on the effect of sodium... to help the body absorb the water better...

As for a more concise definition of steroid, I looked back into my notes to better explain what it is, and how it affects the human body, seeing as you didn't understand what I said earlier... remember, I'm not a professional, but I do have a good general base knowledge of the stuff I blab about...

"The word “steroid” is the name for a group of chemicals whose structures are very much alike. There are three types of steroids: 1) corticosteroids; 2) female sex hormones; 3) male sex hormones: male sex hormones are known medically as “androgens.” Testosterone is the androgen that leads to the development of mass, speed, endurance, strength and definition. These drugs are also known as anabolic steroides. Under certain conditions the body changes one type of steroid to another.

“Anabolic Steroids” cause the buildup of muscle tissue. Testosterone is the body’s natural anabolic steroid. More testosterone in men is why their muscle mass is larger than woman

Injectable anabolics are injected into muscle tissue. The are slowly released from the muscles into the rest of the body. Some oral steroids are: anadrol, andriol, tribulus-terrestris, halostestin, dehydroepiandrosterone, primo bolin, methyltestosterone, and dimethylaminoethanol. Some injectable steroids are: anatrofin, deca-durabolin, delatestryl, winstrol-v, depo-testosterone, and injectable dianabol."

Anabolic steroids will allow you to pack on helathy hard muscle, greatly enhancing your physical appearance. The more you increase your testosterone level the easier and faster you will see muscle growth. There are many safe steroid replacements that will allow you to see steroid-like results with no harmful side-effects.

The chemical makeup of this compound is very complex. I'll do the best I can in explaining how it works.

Produced in the gonads and adrenal glands of all mammals, 19 nor-androstenedione is a natural steroid hormone. It is found in all animal(meat) and is a direct precursor( oen step removed) in the natural biosynthesis of testosterone (DHEA is two steps removed and converts far less efficiently to testosterone than 19 nor-andrestenedione).The oral form is metabolized in the liver to become testosterone by an enzymatic pathway.

Testosterone is a hormone that is necessary for building muscle mass,strenght, and energy. SInce 19 nor-androstenedione enchances the testosterone for many hours,it is benefical for atheletes such as bodybuilders and power lifters or those entering competition where a certain level of "agressiveness" is required to enhance performance.Greater gains in muscle mass have been reported by those lifters who ingest it one to two hours before a workout. They experience more intense workouts, a better pump,and increased strenght.Optimizing levels of testosterone in ones own body, immune system operations in balance and allows for repair and recuperation from exercise. Some individuals even report feelings of increased energy, a sense of overall well being and heightened sexual arousal.

As for my explanation with the banana's, and drinking of water, and it's effects on the human body... I'll give it to you when, I can find my paper that I wrote back in highschool.

19. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Practical advice

I won't get too involved with the biochemical arguments, but there are several practical hydration tips I can give you to tell if you have been drinking enough (I learned these while I was into cycling a few years back, as proper hydration is essential on a 75 or 100 or 150km bike ride). First of all, ignore the hydration indicator that we have all used from birth - the dry mouth or thirsty feeling. If you are starting to feel thirsty, you have waited too long and are already dehydrated. Similarly, after the next time you play badminton or otherwise strenuously exercise, go to the bathroom and visually check the color of your urine (my physician told me this advice). If your urine is dark yellow or orange in color, you are dehydrated. If your urine is very light yellow or clear, you are properly hydrated.

At least half an hour before you next exercise, you should try to drink at least 750ml of water, if not a full liter. If you have not had much else to drink that day, you should have even more water. Basically, you should drink fluids to the point just before you would start to feel full or hear liquids sloshing in your stomach. During the course of your playing, you should be drinking 500ml of fluids every 20-30 minutes to replenish the fluids you are loosing through sweat and the metabolic process.

As for sports drinks, Mag is certainly correct that most of their claimed extra ingredients are not particularly necessary. If you ate a normal quantity of food, particularly carbohydrates, the day before and the day you play, plus perhaps a granola bar or an energy bar 45 minutes before you play, you should have sufficient energy to get through a typical two hours of playing. Very few badminton matches go long enough for a player to need additional salt, so the added salt to such drinks is not particularly necessary. If you are playing at a tournament and are playing more than just a few matches (particularly singles matches), you may need to replenish some carbohydrates, but you don't need all of the sugars that are in Gatorade. A mixture of 50% water, 50% fruit juice will provide you with all of the carbohydrates that your body can rapidly convert into glucose and then into glycogen, which is the fuel that powers the muscles. After a long period of exercising, carbo loading is useful and necessary, and can really make you feel recharged, but I doubt that many badminton players need to worry about this unless they are in a tournament.

It is just as important to properly hydrate and carbo load AFTER exercising as it is before and during exercise. The reason is that the quicker you can intake carbohydrates and thus replenish the glycogen in your muscles, the faster your muscles will recover and the less tired your muscles will feel the following day. There is a "window" of replenishment opportunity of about 30 minutes after exercising in which there is a rapid intake of glycogen back into the muscles, but that intake will return to the normal level after about half an hour.

Finally, I'm not sure of the connection between lactic acid build-up and potassium or the connection between lactic acid build-up and muscle cramps (which could very well be interconnected), but potassium deficiencies can certainly lead to cramping. I suffered from extremely severe cramping in my calves ("charley horses" that completely incapacitated me for a half hour) several times when I was running track in high school and my school trainer advised me to eat more bananas or take potassium supplements. That was good advice, because I have never had a cramp when I was taking in enough potassium.

20. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Brett, I had the same cramping...

I had the same problems you described... and thanks for help on these explanations. :)
    But I think Wins lost interest in our topic right after he asked the question. hehehe.