Ice stop

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ruben VM, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Ruben VM

Ruben VM Regular Member

Student
    The temperature in our gym regularly drops below the freezing point of water. This is detrimental for our badminton participation level since there is a significant relationship between dropout and low temperatures. As a board member, I feel responsible to do something about this...

I thought about integrating an ice stop if temperature drops below 7degr. C (45degr. F) and using our website/twitter to communicate this instantly to our members. The rest of my board isn't reacting to this idea, so what are the readers thinking of it?

2. Ruben VM

Ruben VM Regular Member

Student
    Nobody :(

Will my proposed intervention have a positive outcome on badminton participation level? We would play less, but the quality of play would be higher (pleasant temperature,...). Or should we play in a gym where it's freezing cold, riskking to lose all the participants, who may not come back again because of the mental/physical suffering they had...

3. Ruben VM

Ruben VM Regular Member

Student
    You have to make all the decisions yourself these days...

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what is an "ice stop"?

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

7 degrees inside is extremely cold. There must be no heating system at all or no isolation at all. If it saves money which can somehow be reinvested to benefit the paying members (new shuttles for example) I would go for it. You would even need the red cap shuttles to play in these temperatures. I think the injury risk is higher as well since I would assume most members don't do a good warmup. I almost ruptured a calf as well in a cold hall without a proper warmup :eek::D.

6. Ruben VM

Ruben VM Regular Member

Student
    @demolidor: Thnx, that`s what I thought. We can`t heat the gym and there is no isolation (even the water inside the toilets becomes ice, we can`t use them anymore). But they are going to build a new one within 3 or 4 years... The red caps are something to consider.

For now, the board asked to limit badminton to 0 degrees. Maybe next year to be raised to 4 degrees (hopefully, if I can give some strong arguments).

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just to be clear: inside 0 degrees?!? That's just nuts :D (or is it hardcore :eek::p). Has anyone actually taken the temperature or is it a simple comparison to the outside temperature?
    I think my strings would spontaneously pop [​IMG].
    On the other hand we used to have track & field practice outside at freezing temps as well with frozen curves and whatnot but obviously dressed appropriately which I can't see playing badminton ...

#7 demolidor, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

why would they need to take the temperature: the water in the toilet has frozen :p that's a good enough indicator for me ;)

Buy some thermal underwear (long sleeves) and keep your tracksuit on as long as possible... But I have to be honest, it was 12 degrees (celsius) in a hall where I train, I was already freezing my nuts off... Not to mention the feather shuttles I kept wrecking with that damn cold...

9. Ruben VM

Ruben VM Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, and it`s frustrating to see all the members disapearing if it gets colder :(