weight

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ScorpionC, Dec 24, 2010.

1. ScorpionC

ScorpionC New Member

the explorer
    I am 27 years old male, 193 cm, 100 kg. Weight comes from powerful hips and quite strong body. I don`t look like a badminton player more like ... (that sport where they use weight to put down each other). I precise, I am not fat. I am a B Class player. I get tired faster than opponents and sweat lot more. I change t-shirt every double-round. I checked top 10 badminton players of the world, 191 cm, 80 kg. was the heaviest. I just wonder how far I would make it (I know now is too late and I don`t care just curious) with my weights. I have exceptional natural talent, aggressive style.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    You can make it pretty much as far as you want. Playing top level professional badminton is probably not a possibility now but aside from that, you could probably get anywhere. As you have noticed, there is a trend in professional players to be within a certain range of sizes but there are outliers who are still very successful. You aren't a completely abnormal shape so I doubt it will cause you too much of a problem.

I'm no expert on Noway's badminton scene but I'm going to assume that it isn't amazingly competitive in the same way as countries like China and Denmark. This would supplement my idea that there is very little preventing you from achieving reasonable badminton success.

I must confess, I am not a believer in natural talent, or at least not in the way that people tend to see talent. Anyone can become very good at anything with sufficient practice (you may have heard of the 10,000 hour rule) and I don't think natural talent will help you get much further or get you there much faster in the end. Can we prove any theory of natural talent? Yes, some people may have spent more quality practice time and so, require a smaller quantity than others but beyond this, I doubt you could prove that some people learned the game dramatically more quickly than others.

Players described as talented are generally the more creative players with good touch games, Peter Gade being a good example. He can do some truly incredible things with shuttlecocks. On a side note, has anyone seen this net shot before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMV0sv3XiBE (about a minute in)

Arrogance is a bad thing and I dislike the fact that you have described yourself as exceptional, I personally believe that it's better to be a bit humble about your game. Confidence in yourself is good though and important if you're going to play your very best in a given match.

Basically, with hard work you should be able to reach a very high level and your body shape won't hold you back a great deal (if at all). Your physical conditioning and the efficiency of your movement will both probably improve the more you play and become less of a limiting factor to your success. Take all of the opportunities you can to play against players who are at a higher level than you or more experienced; this is one of the best ways to improve your tactical approach to the game.

#2 Danstevens, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010