Tennis Elbow?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by shakz, Dec 25, 2010.

1. shakz

shakz Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Hey guys,

I've been having what I think is tennis elbow. Is this what you call 'tennis-elbow'. Let me try to explain how it feels like.

I play about once or twice a week. Sometimes even more. Problem occurs when I play more than 2 or 3 times a week. I get this weird weakness feeling. Sometimes lifting a bottle of water would be slightly difficult but if I play only once or twice a week I dont feel it at all.

Could this be because of over exertion and is there a cure for this or is there any protector I could use? I always use an elbow-protector when I play badminton. Is this the right thing to use?

Please let me know as it gets quite irritating. Thanx fellas. :)

Rgds,
    Shak

2. alexh

alexh Regular Member

If you're just feeling weak, no pain, then it probably isn't tennis elbow. But whatever it is, it doesn't sound good. You should see a doctor or a physiotherapist and get it checked out.

3. shakz

shakz Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    There is pain, but not the excruciating kinda pain. When pressed on it does hurt and it has a somewhat swollen feel to it. I still am able to play tho just quite uncomfortable. But yeah, if this reply tells you it's not tennis elbow I'll then will make a trip to the docs! Thanx man.

Rgds,
    Shak

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    lack of warm up?
    or maybe because you play too long and your muscle cannot cope with it (because lack of training or because wrong movement, maybe too many smashes?)
    I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but usually that's what happen when I play badminton after few months break from badminton
    usually it would heal after few days

5. visor

visor Regular Member

First of all, where does it hurt? Tennis elbow would hurt at the lateral epicondyle? (Google it if you don't know where that is.)

Secondly, if it is tennis elbow, then you're either gripping the racket too tight or the grip is too big for your hand. Tennis elbow should not occur in badminton.

6. mily123

mily123 New Member

Use of a heavy rackets can also lead to the tennis elbow. My partner was also suffering from tennis elbow and he has a lot of pain. He consulted to a doctor and then he was advised to stay away from badminton for sometime. I will also suggest you to go to the doctor before you take any decision here. That will help you much better. Get well soon.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

There certainly are a lot of people at local clubs wearing knee and elbow braces. Yet, although many wear knee wraps, you don't see professionals wearing elbow braces.
    The difference must be in technique.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Quite right you are. :)

Also difference in age, as pros are much younger than the average club player.

Even then, pros are not immune to elbow overuse injuries. To wit, Lee Yong-Dae for most of last year had to wear physio tape on his right elbow, due to pushing his body too much by playing both MD and XD in competitions.

9. kohminkiat

kohminkiat Regular Member

Badminton
    I am having what they called 'golf elbow' for the past 8 mths. Lately the pain has been reduced a lot (probably around 80%). Last time I only do warm up; now I do warm up (b4 matches) and warm down (after matches). I c players don't do warm up, but even more players don't do warm down.

No, I didn't reduce the number of days I am playing (I am still playing 3 to 4 times a week). I do believe warm down helps.

10. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Its start of tennis elbow, a overuse injury as you find if you play more than twice it gets sore. I support is good but if you find playing only twice a week is fine, id suggest to not wear it as it weakens the muscles.

A good test for tennis elbow which am sure you have is extend the arm and fingers out in front of you. With your other hand push your middle finger down and resist the movement. If this causes pain, then u prob have tennis elbow.

Also pick up a chair infront of you with arms extending and hands facing down and pick chair striaght up (hands grabbing back of chair) and if this is sore or very uncomfortable, u prob ave it.

Because its not to bad now, your best best is to strengthen it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAV7XDlZyU
    This youtube link is very good. but generally its ur body telling u your doing to much so either rest the area or over time build it up so it can cope with more work.

If after you play it is sore on you, ice the area and elevate it and ofcourse rest lol

11. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Recently I have tennis elbow. I attribute to a heavier racket that I use. Now I have switched to lighter racket but still on the same tension at 24. Should I lower my tension to say 22 to not aggravate it further Will it helps at all?

Thanks

Current rackets are yy ns9900 and victor sw35.

12. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    id say ur racket isnt problem. Maybe a slight factor. Watch ur grip. It should be relaxed 90% of time, only tighten when hitting the shuttle. as I said its an overuse injury but al depends how severe it is and how long uve had it. Ur best option if its real bad to to completely rest it for a week if not 2 and stretch the forearm by pushing ur hand al way up and al way down and do this ten times each way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsvWW_tcct8

13. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Thanks. The funny thing is such pain is new to me and I only got back to badminton just 3 months back after giving up for more than 25 years.

14. kohminkiat

kohminkiat Regular Member

Badminton
    I have been doing warm down especially to my elbow section and I can feel that the pain is keep on reducing. Of course the pain won't just go off in 1 or 2 weeks, but do warm down every time after our games and u will c for yourself after few mths how your elbow feel.