How long does it take for one to improve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Joseph, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

If you push yourself hard enough, can a person improve a lot in a weeks worth of time if that person plays for a total of 4 hours, 2 of which is devoted to drills and conditioning while the other 2 is used for play experience? Or should i just devote all my time to drills.

How long did it take you guys to improve? What did you do to improve? I would like to hear a lot of responses from people who play in the B level or higher in tournaments, so please respond.

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

well..to improve, i believe it takes drills AND experience (such as games, tournaments)... i've been playing for about 3 years now...i remember when i started out, obviously i wasn't at a stage where i was going to succeed..but anyways, i probably didn't improve very much for the first few months...but after going to a few private lessons with my coach (while still going to my group lessons)..i began to improve...and since then, i'm at a decent "B" level skill..able to compete in "B" fairly well...so yeah, that took about 2 and half years....i guess if ur at a very PRIVATE club like the royal glenora here in alberta, you could imrpove to that stage in maybe a year or less like my friend. but anyways, for me, i did drills (group lessons and private) and i also played in community clubs to get experience PLUS tournaments just for the fun of it..

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    How do u set a point of "improvement"?
    From not being able to hit the bird to being able to hit the bird?
    From not being able to hit the bird consistantly to hitting the bird constantly?
    From not being able to smash to be able to smash?
    Every little step is an improvement, so what's ur question aiming at?

All that aside...
    Personally, I have no idea what level I'm at currently, but I've been playing for almost 2 yrs now, and I know what it takes to improve (in general however, I'm still not close to good yet)

- Put in time to the game. 17 hrs/week was what I put into badminton during the last summer, into drilling time and playing time.
    - Drills. This helps with shot selection, footwork, placement, and technique. If you're not as stupid/stubborn as me when it comes to learning the shots, i can guarantoo that you can almost always pick up something new!
    - Dedication. Although I feel sluggish everytime I'm on court (due to fatigue) I still try my best for every game. Just because you're really tired dont mean u can skip a session and stay at home to watch Simpsons.
    - Ask questions. I know this one pisses the people ur asking questions off, but you end up learning a lot if they actually are willing to help answer ur questions
    - Watch more advanced players play. This is important, I've learned much when I've just first started on the game by just watching. Watching players arms for net shots. Body motion for back court shots. Footwork during singles. Although it depends from person to person how much you can pick up from watching, you will almost always improve or learn soemthing new you didin't notice before
    - Coaching. With a coach, you can improve faster. They are the experts that can point out what you're doing wrong, how you can improve upon it. Fast corrections, even minor ones can help one's game a lot!

Just from my experience, may bot work for everyone

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Private lessons? I dont think there are any over here. All i can do is ask my coaches for some extra private help, hopefully they wont mind.

Yeah i do watch advanced players play, i watch my coaches play along with some of their friends. I do think my coach is very good, but the intensity during our practices isnt as high as he wants it to be since a lot of people now are just playing around rather than taking the sport seriously. Sure we want to have fun, but there's a time for that and a time for training.

EDIT: For my first post, i didnt put the total number of hours i play, that's 4 hrs a day for 5 days a week...so about 20 hrs total.

#4 Joseph, Mar 23, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2003
  5. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

but anyways, i play almost two hours each day...

mondays -school practice, train, then play singles ladder games afterwards
    tuesday - school badminton team games against other schools
    wednesdays- school practice, then train, and then play doubles ladder games afterwards
    thursdays - school badminton team games against other schools
    fridays and saturdays are day offs..
    sundays- 2-5 hours of club recreation play if i'm in the mood for it.

so total, i would have to say i play about 20 hrs also...

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

yeah that's sorta my schedule too...

monday - train, challenges
    tuesday - matches against other schools, then open gym for one hour
    wednesday - train
    thursday - matches against other schools, then open gym for one hour
    friday - training or conditioning if we do bad in our games...like last week. Our team score was 13 - 2 and 11 - 4, so we conditioned :( . Our coach wanted the score to be like 14 - 1 and 15 - 0.

7. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I've been playing for like 6 or something years however in Grade 4 my mind wasn't set on making improvements just having fun. I didn't think about strategy till the end of Grade 7 or 8. I can't remember. I started taking lessons and such but I didn't realize there was clubs to play at so I only did lessons and played once a week so I was very bored then now I play 4x a week and take no lessons. Next fall I'll be taking lessons while playing again so I can apply what I learn 4x a week rather than waste cash. Although I don't train, I still see my coach while I play as he maintains a club and I ask him questions and tips.

Yodums

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    wow, pretty good schedules.

Probably the minimum to see improvement, is to play three times a week.

Actual training with a coach, twice a week plus an extra session for games

Older people learning the game have a harder time learning(like undoing bad habits) so initally x3 per week training is cool:cool: Then later, when good habits start getting integrated, can cut down. It's important to break the bad habits with more frequent sessions. Much harder than learning a new movement straight off.

IMHO, 1x per week of playing around is insufficient even just to maintain cardivascular fitness.

2x per week, depends what standard you are at. For low level games, yes, can improve. But gets harder to improve playing x2 per week when the level of play goes higher.

Oh yeah, I'm talking about sessions lasting 2hours so you guys are way ahead of most people;)

2x sessions of 2 hours in one week is better than 1x session of 4 hours in one week, both for fitness and improving:)

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

yeah we do actually have a session for games, but it's only singles. We have it on fridays if we arent doing anything else. It's sort of a ranking a system our coach is doing. He said he was trying to do it professionally, like junior national rankings. Im the ranked as #7 out of our team. I wish i were ranked somewhere like #4 at least but my singles skills arent up to par with the older players.

10. Californian

Californian Regular Member

"How long does it take for one to improve?"

How about...a lifetime. There's always something to improve, even if you're the best in the world.

11. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    a considerable improvement in a week is acheivable provided you have set a realistic goal. the problem you may find sometimes with a rapid improvement schedule is you need a long term plan to further the training you just went through. all too often i will see players go through an intense training period (like a week or a month), only to go back to old habits once the training stops.

it's like cramming for an exam - most students may pass the exam, but in most cases the retention of the knowledge is fleeting. those who study continuously and apply it to the lives are those that have the best results.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Intense training in a short period of time, could boost up ppl's skill in a relatively fast pace. However, unless this person can keep up with reasonable amount of effort the following days, she/he can not apply the new stuff in a more consistent base. Therefore, it will be huge up and downs later on.

13. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Oh sorry, well i just want to be as good as a C or B player right now.