Help: How do you use a string dresser

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by airblader, Dec 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. airblader

airblader New Member

Racket stringer
  2. racketgod111

racketgod111 New Member

Hey

A String Dressers is used when there is not enough string at the end of racket to reach the tensioning system.

A string dresser is used to extend the reach of the string in the frame to the tensioning system to allow you to tension the string as you would normally

Hope this helps! :)

3. airblader

airblader New Member

Racket stringer
    racketgod111.
    Thanks for replying but I'm afraid what you've said is exactly what it says in the description. I still couldn't figure out how to use that 'rubber rod'. Perhaps you could explain further with a diagram or photo ? Many thanks in advance.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    can you post pics of the tool kit? esp of the dresser? from the pics you posted, it is not clear which tool is the dresser. the itemized description doesn't match the photo.

5. Willi@m

Willi@m Regular Member

Blow Blow Water
    its a rubberized cylindrical stick. Roll the remaining ( last cross) string till it's tensioned & clamp it, then do the finishing knot. I guess this how it works.

6. airblader

airblader New Member

Racket stringer
    Kwun, Willi@m said it in the shortest way yet it makes a whole lot of sense to me.

But if Willi@m could allow me to add to his 'hypothesis' (assuming that it's your best guess Will):
    By rolling the string that is too short to reach the tensioning system onto the rubber, perhaps we should then roll another separate string onto the rubber piece, and pull that string to the required tension. In other words, this 'string dresser' acts as a 'joiner' ?

The reason why I'm adding to Will's comment is that I find his recommendation is not measurable in terms of the tension applied. I will try both methods after this and shall post my findings later.

7. airblader

airblader New Member

Racket stringer
    I have experimented with Willi@m's advice and this is what I have to say:

The string dresser is not much longer than the average pen, 1 inch in diameter and made of rubber (as seen in picture attached)
    [​IMG]

Based on Willi@m's advice, this piece of tool is perhaps another tool to grip the string as we pull. As we pull harder, the string will sink deeper into the rubber instead of slipping off, hence giving a good grip on the string as we pull. I find that it can grip the string much better than using a pair of pliers and it doesn't damage the delicate string.

As for my hypothesis, I find it hard to handle both strings (the short string that we want to extend and the additional string to slot into the tensioning system) all at once. And because this is strictly for emergency purpose only, Willi@m's suggestion is the next best thing if we ever get caught in such situation. This is so true especially when the string breaks mid way through our string job.

8. Willi@m

Willi@m Regular Member

Blow Blow Water
    Certainly hand-rolled couldnt achieve the preset tension as the racket, moreover no measurement of tensioned value.

Well, it can be done, but the rubber compound would wear in no time.

A Starting Clamp is the best tool to clamp the remaining string, using a waste-string to be looped over the Starting Clamp & bring towards the machine's gripper. Thus can be tensioned to the preset tension value. It's more practical than String Dresser.