Score Keeping

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ichigoku, Dec 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ichigoku

ichigoku Regular Member

Student
    hi guys! this is my first post. i've trouble keeping score in doubles games. any tips?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Call the score after every rally, saying the server's score first. This helps you remember the score, and also reminds your opponents of the score -- reducing the chance of a dispute.

In terms of understanding the scoring system, see this page from my rules article: the scoring system in badminton.

3. ichigoku

ichigoku Regular Member

Student
    i often hear players saying that since they started on the right, and they are on the right again. therefore their score is even. however, i'll understand if the two doubles players had not switched sides. but once they have, how can it be even?

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Yes, saying the score out loud is the most important thing. Some people seem to think it's "weak" to do this, and they'd rather show off how they can remember the score in their heads. But then you'll see four such people playing together, and they'll stop after a while and say "does anyone know what the score is?", a very amusing sight.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That used to work with the old scoring system (15 points): you could use parity (odd or even) to determine position (or vice-versa). With the current scoring system (21 points), this doesn't work.

Consequently, it's now a bit more difficult to keep track of the score/positions than it used to be. This is the one bad feature of the new system.

On the other hand, you don't need to remember "second server" anymore.

#5 Gollum, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  6. ichigoku

ichigoku Regular Member

Student
    oic thanks a lot! :D

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Just act dumb when you are on the wrong side. No one will blame you. lol. ;)