The Real World Ranking

Discussion in '2010 Tournaments' started by Xpert, Dec 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Xpert

Xpert Regular Member

Consultant
  2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

This is bound to start a hot debate, and potentially a dangerous thread. Also, you should have put this thread in the Professional Players thread. I won't comment on this because of it's potential to be dangerous.

3. Xpert

Xpert Regular Member

Consultant
    Yeah maybe some admin could move this thread.

Why do you see this topic as dangerous - I mean it should be clear to everyone that the world ranking doesn't reflect the actual playing strength.
    Some weeks ago danish internationel H.K.-Vittinghus posted a remark on his facebook page "wondering" how "badly" the chinese players had fared as there were no chinese among top-5 in mens single, mens double, womens double and mixed double, and also no chinese in top-2 of the womens single.

Compare that with chinese players winning all 5 world titles and holding 8 of 10 spots in finals, and it's clear that the WR is NOT reflecting who the best players are.

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I totally agree with you, but I think you have not read through this forums. Many times before, there are people(mainly LD fans) who starts to question the validity of the World No.1, LCW (which is perfectly acceptable) but many LCW fans felt the need to defend their idol and then in turn, quarrels start to occur. There was a thread about 'Who is better, Chen Jin or LCW' in the Prof. Players thread that sparked a big quarrel and poor Chen Jin was all forgotten as LCW and LD fans clashed. If you want, I can dig out the link for you.

However, this link's analysis IS fair and reasonable though, just afraid mud-slinging will occur. Thanks for the link as it proves to be an interesting read!

5. Xpert

Xpert Regular Member

Consultant
    Thanks, I'm glad you find it a fair analysis. That is the goal. A better picture on who should be considered the best player of the year.
    Of course there will always be different views on how much should the "big events" count and so on, but at least let's clear the misperception that the nr.1 on the WR is the worlds best player/pair.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    BWF can only rank players participating in their tournaments

This is where we look at different players at different countries, for example, currently we have;

* Best Mens Singles player from China is Lin Dan
    * Best Mens Singles player from Indonesia is Taufik Hidayat
    * Best Mens Singles player from Malaysia is Lee Chong Wei
    * etc, etc, ......

BWF can only rank players participating in their tournaments.

Lin Dan is a great player; but because he didn't participate in many BWF tournaments (as he should), he is currently not included in our top 5 Mens Singles rankings.

I think most BCers would be glad if Lin Dan can participate in more BWF tournaments, to come out to challenge Lee Chong Wei to capture the No.1 World Ranking.

In other words, if Lee Chong Wei is not being challenged, he cannot be considered as not the best player in our World Rankings.

#6 chris-ccc, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010