grip tightening for overhead shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bbirdman, Dec 30, 2010.

1. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Unfortunately no badminton untill new year so I am lefting swinging and thinking about my strokes.

have i got this right or am I wrong. Adopt the forehand grip loosely but as the racket is placed behind your head then the grip will rest between the webbing between thumb and index finger and the opposite bevel will push up against your little finger and the one next to it.

On tightenuing your grip when playing the shot it will cause the racket to move back to normal forehand grip away from webbing of finger and thumb

Just trying to undertsand how grip tigthening works hope i have expalined myself properly

2. visor

visor Regular Member

That sounds extreme, may lead to compromised accuracy.

In reality grip tightening is more subtle. Just remember to grip slightly looser on winding up (racket behind your head) and then you'll automatically tighten your grip when you strike.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As visor said, that sounds like you MAY struggle to control your shots. However, your description of the grip tightening sounds excellent to me, if i have understood it correctly. As visor suggests, in forehand power shots, it is often the case that the "finger power" used (grip tightening) is not quite as important as with other shots - for example backhand overhead shots, where it is extremely important, on the forehand side it is a bit more subtle. The grip tightening is a gentle relaxation of the fingers followed by tightening the grip on impact. Note, that tightening does not necessarily mean you should "tense up". You can tighten your grip at impact without having to become "stiff", by making sure you relax after hitting the shuttle.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Hold it firmer all the time and you should be ok. ;)

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Surely not? Keeping a loose grip apart from on impact with the shuttle allows really fast racquet actions, it also prevents tennis elbow.