Hand/Palm Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by ir22mean, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ir22mean

ir22mean Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone,

I used to play badminton and started to get back into it (it's been approximately 4 years). I've had a couple of sessions of singles and doubles, and I've noticed that towards the end, I start to feel a soreness or pain in the middle of my palm (feels more like a muscle pain). I've seen other threads where the fingers are involved but this was a specific pain only to the inside palm (no pain on the outside of the hand), and no where else. I was wondering if this is has happened to anyone else?

During the sessions, I've demoed a couple of different grips sizes including my old racquet which was a G3 + 2 overgrips and a G4, and in both cases, I experienced the pain. The pain doesn't last for more than a couple of days and mostly just bothers me shortly after playing. I've been playing a lot of tennis since the layoff and I thought that my hand muscles would be able to handle it.

Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Is it possible that you were gripping the racquet too tightly?

A G3 grip with two overwraps sounds huge to me, but it makes sense for a tennis player.

3. ir22mean

ir22mean Regular Member

Student
    When I played before, I had used a G4 with no overgrips. I doubt my hand grew much since then, but I think I automatically added the overgrips because it didn't seem right (due to the tennis influence). I did hit with a G4 again, with the same problems. It could be due to gripping it too tightly but I wasn't sure if others had experienced this.