Victor Super Waves 36 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by cycilver, Dec 31, 2010.

1. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    Victor Super Waves 36 Review

3U G2
    Stiff
    BP – 285mm Dry
    NBG98 at 25lbs.
    TW code

First Impressions:

This thing looks great, there’s no way around it. The SW35 looked great also, but it was more of a “rebellious teen” good looking whereas this thing is classy. Predominantly red with the head being half white, mixed in with some black and chrome accents throughout the racket. In a small way, sort of reminds me of the Arcsaber 10 by Yonex, although I find that one too red.

Even before I measured the balance point, I could already feel that the racket was very evenly balanced and stiff. Of course it was nowhere near as stiff as the SW35 but it felt... right. Didn’t feel like something that would take too long to get used to but we’ll see.

Warm Ups:

The SW36 does not fail to perform on any occasion. All shots were easy and most of all, stress-free. Clears were simple and drops were dainty, the only area I found difficult during the warm up were net shots. Smashes went where I wanted it to go and anything backhand was amazing, especially backhand smashes.

Game Time:

Played a few sets with the SW36, 4 doubles matches and 2 singles. For doubles, this racket was not the quickest thing out there (especially when compared to my NS9000-S), but it did decently and I’m confident will suit many people. For the first time ever (at least for me), shots made during the warm up carried over extremely well during game time. Shots went where I wanted it to and net shots improved immensely after a few minutes. As for power, it isn’t really fair to compare it to the SW35, but it’s no slouch either. Rather comparable to the Arcsaber 8DX but better (and cheaper). The one area where this racket really shines is on defence. Smash returns and drives were effortless. It won’t beat something head light in its quickness but for the power and stability you get, it doesn’t disappoint. Another area I found quite amazing was the ease and speed of backhand smashes. I’m not the greatest when it comes to these but using this racket really brought out the best in me. Net kills were straightforward so can’t really comment too much on that.

For singles, the SW36 was amazing. I didn’t feel any fatigue despite having played doubles before diving into singles. Drop shots both forehand and backhand proved quite amazing, complimenting the simplicity of clears. Given the specs of this racket, I would say it’s pretty well rounded and would suit either game.

Ratings:

Power – 9/10
    Control – 9/10
    Defence – 9/10
    Value – 10/10

This is definitely a great racket for most people, especially if you are on a budget. I can see this replacing some other rackets I currently use someday, perhaps when I break a string or two. This is by no means saying that the SW36 isn’t better than the other things I’m using, I just don’t want to switch everything up for now XD

This review was based on my own opinions and level of play. Other players may experience something better or worse so it is always best to try things out before committing.

Happy holidays!

Wallace

Attached Files:

2. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I believe there is a new SW36 in terms of cosmetics. Instead of red/white...its black/white. It looks even better in my opinion. Anyway, thanks for the very informative review.

3. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    thanks for the info
    IMO between SW35, SW36 & SW37
    I still prefer SW35
    lucky to have one SW35
    I don't have SW36 & SW37
    but I'm not planning to buy them

4. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    The SW35 was a bit stiff for me, so the 36 I must say does appeal.

Then again, Victor has a swathe of cool new gear coming out early this year, so it might be a case of being able to pick up a 36 cheap.....or hold out for the new stuff.

The new 36 does look nicer than the red/silver one though.

5. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    If anything, the new rackets (ie X80) seems like it will be ultra stiff as well. The SW36 does seem like a very good racket but I'm coping with the SW35 very well so I will skip it for now.