Do the Grip Size effect the centre of gravity@head-heaviness of the rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bogensaebel, Jan 1, 2011.

1. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    for some time I wonder if I put two rackets of same model with diff. grip size let say G3 and G4. since the grips are diff. sized thefore their weights are different, rite? so overall it will effect the position of the centre of gravity of the rackets.
    for example COG of the bigger grip G3 will be lower hence the racket is less head-heavy than G3's, is't?

another case is if sum1 put thicker grip, let compare a thick grip like Karakal PU super with a thin grip like YY over-grip alone. I think it'll effect the head-heaviness of the racket, rite?

what do you guys think?:confused::confused:

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    This has been discussed so many times before :(
    Please use the search function before posting a new thread.

Yes, the measurable balance point will increase, but so will the overall weight - it will not affect how heavy a racket feels to play with.
    The only way you can make a racket play more/less head-heavy, is by adding/removing weight at the head.

3. bogensaebel

student
    thx...

btw i did search for the thread abt it but unfotunately i didnt find under so so many threads...hope dont mind...
    if u know the exact thread title plz let me know..

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

yet there are still posts every week where someone mentions they put an overgrip on to make the racquet more head-light.

5. ieim_17

ieim_17 Regular Member

Student
    I`ve tried to put extra grip on my training racket, yonex B-450...........well, it certainly feels a lot more lighter, but it`s not playable bcos it`s too thick...

6. bogensaebel

student
    I think we only focus on grip type here...i already got my conclusion...

then what abt the grip size...do G3 and G4 hv the same balance point?

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    It still doesn't matter.
    I'll say it again: The only way you can make a racket play more/less head-heavy, is by adding/removing weight at the head.
    Unless the handle is made *a lot* heavier (ie. you fill it will lead), it's not going to affect play (not accounting for the placebo effect).

8. yumyumtaco

yumyumtaco Regular Member

Does this mean a racquet that is 3UG3 will be more headlight but feel just as heavy as the same racquet that is 3UG4?

9. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    It means that a G3 may be slightly heavier overall, and slightly more head-light - but it will feel the same when you are playing. Bearing in mind that a 3U racket could weigh anywhere from 80g to 85g to begin with, the weight difference between a G3 and G4 handle isn't going to be *that* important anyway.

I've read that some manufacturers adjust the racket balance at the factory anyway. Handles always have a hole drilled down the middle - the factory just vary the depth of the hole to make the handle more or less heavy. Apparently some insert different sized rubber bungs to add different amounts of weight. Not sure if any of that is true.

Seriously though, this is such a minor detail that it's not worth worrying about - it's never going to affect your chances of winning a game.