User Tag List

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Can anyone please name some of the other coaches in BAM, and what they do, and whether they coach Elite or backup or Junior?
    cobalt, i think a search in nst or the star you should be able to get something,

my battery is very low need to go

will be back

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting comments from the Coaching and Training Committee members. What they failed to realize is that BAM had been heading backwards since way back in 1994, after the foresighted President was overthrown by his political savvy deputy. Typical scenario in Malaysia when a sport suddenly gains political attention due to a major victory.

All those near misses in the Thomas Cup finals in 1994, 1998 and 2002 came as the result, despite Malaysia having teams strong enough to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of July 2010 - (nst) - The Coaching and Training Committee - Ng Chin Chai, Kenny Goh, Datuk Lim Teong Kiat, Datuk James Selvaraj, Teoh Teng Chor, Tony Tan, Abdul Hadi Abdul Kadir, Misbun Sidek, Rashid Sidek, Rexy Mainaky, Tan Kim Her, Hendrawan. (supposedly got 14 members, but I don't know who else)

Feb. 21, 2010 - The Star :
    James smashes BAM’s new coaching committee

[...]Most of the members are sports administrators and I have nothing against them. But it is so crucial to have people who are able to analyze the game and have the technical knowledge of the game to be in the committee,” said James.[...] (No offense James, but we even have them now in the new TCC... any big difference? A person with such capability and experience is now being scrutinized by some of the TCC members...)
    “This department is not only about managing people. If the BAM thinks something has gone wrong in the program, then people who know about the game should be in there. Then, they can give relevant input,” said James.[...](true, but how effective the input gonna be if it was not considered relevant despite being thought out as one?)
    “He pointed out that the former athletes can make greater contributions by being in the coaching and training department. Their experience itself is priceless. This sector is important to determine the success of the sport.”[...](their experiences will turn to dust if their thoughts were considered not good enough, no?)
    Nadzmi also said that as the chairman, he would also monitor the coaches on a monthly basis instead of the committee’s previous once after three months.(*yawn*) “Nadzmi has done good for the sport as the president but he is also a business man. How is he going to find the time to monitor the coaches on a monthly basis?[...](isn't it a wonder? Since he's so smart)

I do not understand why they did not want the input from the former greats.[...](if you ask me, I also don't understand why they're still like this even after Beijing Olympic, don't just say TC 2010, even before... *sigh*)

As a player, I can immediately detect the strong and weak points of a player. I have been there before and I know what can be done or should be done,” said James.[...](as all the great coaches we have in our stable... but again, are their thoughts/plans really given fair consideration?)

Give the former players the chance to add depth in the coaching and training committee for the betterment of the badminton.[...](but James, if he can't really have a say in his plan for his charges, then how to add depth? You said you understand MS... he even talked to you first... but how come the 3 people don't understand? Was it like they said? Since I don't get the same vibe when I read your statement... now I'm more irritated with this mess...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was old news but I think shows that there's still instability in the new TCC but eventually coaches ended up accepting the decisions, whatever they were... I mean look at the training structure now... It's still questionable... ... Perhaps it's ok with other departments but in singles? *sigh* Now we hear bitter words perhaps by people who have the most say in that current structure... I don't know...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Since no one can interpret what Nadzmi is saying (those underlined) I will guess it as :

1) They want stable cohorts of about equal standard that stay a close knit unit able to play as a team in tournaments and team events.
    2) They do not want outstanding players but desire a group of players like in the 90s.They dont want players to break camp but stay as a tight unit for the future (unfortunately they cannot get to spar with seniors).
    3) They recognise that there will be no more LCWs in the near future and are prepared to live with it for a few more years until the juniors come up as a batch and take on the world as a group as in the 90s.
    4) They dont know what they are talking about (ie.the TCC comprising coaches including Misbun and some administrators).

Anyone care to give the TCC a chance to analyse and guess their intentions or just ignore and dismiss? Seems to be the key word is Team,Team and Team. ]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team? Equal standard? HOW? If even in training session we can see the difference in the standard of determination among players, how la to build a strong team in the future? These people are sure in oblivion... I bet they don't REALLY know what they are talking about....

__________________________________________________ ___

[If coaches and players think of themselves as part of a team they would be able to allow their charges to spar with one another without thinking of protecting themselves.

I guess the TCC is trying to build some kind of team spirit (unofficially coaches can COLLABORATE ) if they want to.]

Agree... perhaps no more such structure as junior, elite, backup... then we won't see double standard issue/worry, right? Everyone can mingle and share knowledge and skills and experience and tada! A group in unity and stronger who each has deep compassion with one another...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading from NST article, I wonder what is wrong with Ramdan being placed and trained under coach Hendrawan? Is someone suggesting that coach Hendrawan is not good enough for Ramdan? What has Ramdan achieved in the badminton world? Did he win the World Junior MS title? He really that BOLEH?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

eRa: I am almost willing to GUARANTEE that the only result BAM will get from the coaching committee and all their backtracking and positioning and protesting and justifying and speechifying is, in a single word: mediocrity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eRa: I am almost willing to GUARANTEE that the only result BAM will get from the coaching committee and all their backtracking and positioning and protesting and justifying and speechifying is, in a single word: mediocrity.
    I think that is the bottom line, probably it is to have a big group of mediocre players like China men's singles today (cyborgs),

then when they reach a certain level to go a few levels higher.

To them it would be having a team rather than depending on 1,2 players as at present.

Probably that's what they think.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eRa@에라 View Post
    As of July 2010 - (nst) - The Coaching and Training Committee - Ng Chin Chai, Kenny Goh, Datuk Lim Teong Kiat, Datuk James Selvaraj, Teoh Teng Chor, Tony Tan, Abdul Hadi Abdul Kadir, Misbun Sidek, Rashid Sidek, Rexy Mainaky, Tan Kim Her, Hendrawan. (supposedly got 14 members, but I don't know who else)

I think it's either one or both coach Pang CC (WD) and Jeremy Gan(XD) are in. They were in the meeting last week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team? Equal standard? HOW? If even in training session we can see the difference in the standard of determination among players, how la to build a strong team in the future? These people are sure in oblivion... I bet they don't REALLY know what they are talking about....

Hehehe, not really a change lah, in terms of doubles dept, they already working together all the while. Now it makes it seem more....divisive, TKH in charge of back up, Rexy elit. But still if the coaches can work around it, which I think they did,no problem.

Ya lah, better LCW & Misbun go independent, hire some sparring partners, at least can choose better quality ones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to Era on post 479:

Those words you tried to clarify were not Nadmi's words but my personal guesses on how corporate people think.

They probably dont want old greats like Eddy etc maybe they think they are of the old school and cannot accept new ideas and bend to the will of others and will create havoc.

If you ask the people managing organisations all this TCC committee thinking is quite logical.Committees are run like the Parliament and they are not necessarily rubber stamps.

But they (experts) will also tell you that operations and processes can have some flexibility, but I think sometimes it is not fair to

condemn it just when it is starting when it hasn't been given a chance to work. The best time to make adjustments is to let it run and act on feedback. All MS has to do is just to concentrate on LCW and let the TCC have their trial run.
    Last edited by Bbn; 01-13-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn View Post
    I think that is the bottom line, probably it is to have a big group of mediocre players like China men's singles today (cyborgs),

then when they reach a certain level to go a few levels higher.

To them it would be having a team rather than depending on 1,2 players as at present.

Probably that's what they think.
    The difference is just too massive to contemplate: you know that the political muscle and the total commitment at all levels that is evident in China and the CBA will not be so easily replicated in a democratic environment. To rule by committee is like inviting a catastrophe. IMO the big mistake is to try and create a "corporate" culture or enviroment in a "discipline" where an organic approach is very much required. Talent, creativity, daring and bravery will not easily thrive in a corporate environment.

I think that's a part of what Misbun was trying to get across to those bean-counters. But they are only doing the only thing they have known to do all along.

The CTC has made this huge platform of "change." But change just for change's sake can sometimes bring worse results than the status quo. For a change to be correctly and carefully brought about requires a lot of information gathering, analysis, testing, and inclusion of many probabilities and variables. But it seems that almost by magic, the CTC woke up one day after the Thomas Cup and drew up a blueprint for change -- overnight!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    Interesting comments from the Coaching and Training Committee members. What they failed to realize is that BAM had been heading backwards since way back in 1994, after the foresighted President was overthrown by his political savvy deputy. Typical scenario in Malaysia when a sport suddenly gains political attention due to a major victory.

All those near misses in the Thomas Cup finals in 1994, 1998 and 2002 came as the result, despite Malaysia having teams strong enough to win.
    1994 surely cannot be a near miss.

Definitely the replacement for Elyas was really hated for what I still cannot understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference is just too massive to contemplate: you know that the political muscle and the total commitment at all levels that is evident in China and the CBA will not be so easily replicated in a democratic environment. To rule by committee is like inviting a catastrophe. IMO the big mistake is to try and create a "corporate" culture or enviroment in a "discipline" where an organic approach is very much required. Talent, creativity, daring and bravery will not easily thrive in a corporate environment.

I think that's a part of what Misbun was trying to get across to those bean-counters. But they are only doing the only thing they have known to do all along.

The CTC has made this huge platform of "change." But change just for change's sake can sometimes bring worse results than the status quo. For a change to be correctly and carefully brought about requires a lot of information gathering, analysis, testing, and inclusion of many probabilities and variables. But it seems that almost by magic, the CTC woke up one day after the Thomas Cup and drew up a blueprint for change -- overnight!!!!
    I think you hit the key word an ORGANIC approach.

But I think it was sth like that in the past and they think this corporatisation is an improvement,

eradicating corruption,nepotism whatever in the MACHINE at the expense of a leaner and more agile organisation that can react quickly to changes and challenges.

But all this is theory.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbn View Post
    I think you hit the key word an ORGANIC approach.

But I think it was sth like that in the past and they think this corporatisation is an improvement,

eradicating corruption,nepotism whatever in the MACHINE at the expense of a leaner and more agile organisation that can react quickly to changes and challenges.

But all this is theory.
    I think that badminton has historically shown that the corporate approach will fail. The personal approach, with age-old values that are designed to bring out the best in a person/player is the only one that has proved to work time and time again. Love, nurturing; a firm hand; the ability to guide and instruct; the guru-disciple relationship; all of this creates an environment where talent can flower and become awesome. Even the "best player on Earth" only became that after he found the firm guiding hand.

Committes OTOH are often only concerned with the justification of their own existence. And if they fail, be sure they will have identified the scapegoat well in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, other than the culture of badminton (likened to Brazilian Football) you also have to consider the sheer size of the set up.

Historically set-ups were not as big as they are ,that's why they were flatter,now they are massive and need to be run like a ship or machine.

Or take it even further, operate like microsoft, just have a few administrators and out-source,

just organise and let private coaches and players supply the bodies.

Would you say football outfits loosely run are better than those run like a huge ship?

Dont you think CBA is more like a machine?
    Last edited by Bbn; 01-13-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that badminton has historically shown that the corporate approach will fail. The personal approach, with age-old values that are designed to bring out the best in a person/player is the only one that has proved to work time and time again. Love, nurturing; a firm hand; the ability to guide and instruct; the guru-disciple relationship; all of this creates an environment where talent can flower and become awesome. Even the "best player on Earth" only became that after he found the firm guiding hand.

Committes OTOH are often only concerned with the justification of their own existence. And if they fail, be sure they will have identified the scapegoat well in advance.
    But they are more expensive to operate, with a personal touch you need 1 to 1 coaching. with a machine one you can have say 1 to 10 (just a figure of speech).Think in terms of productivity and the need to maximise public funds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    After reading from NST article, I wonder what is wrong with Ramdan being placed and trained under coach Hendrawan? Is someone suggesting that coach Hendrawan is not good enough for Ramdan? What has Ramdan achieved in the badminton world? Did he win the World Junior MS title? He really that BOLEH?
    Misbun's reply in the Star was that his instincts tell him that R has most potential (hard to measure).

That is the problem with corporate people they are not organic and act on instinct,they like to measure things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corporatisation has the main objective of maximising productivity and creating more value on less funds.

Most expenditure and resources must be justified by some form of measurement, not instinct, try talking to your Financial Controller.

By the way Cobalt do you play badminton by instinct or maybe run your business or the country by instinct?

Then you dont need to go to school. But I'm sure you can play the guitar by instinct.
    Last edited by Bbn; 01-13-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That must surely work in Canada. Do you think Gopichand thinks like that too?

If you search Star articles when MS was interviewed before the meeting on Monday MS also used the word instinct to support his decisions.
    Last edited by Bbn; 01-13-2011 at 10:01 PM.