Sudirman Cup trip....

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Mar 24, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi guys, i am back from the cup. it was quite an exciting tournament, i really thoroughly enjoyed it despite being a supporter of the Chinese. i was cheering as loud as i can and cheering and banging and generally making a lot of noise supporting the Chinese. if you were there, you will know who i am for yelling the loudest at the side of the court. i lost my voice after the final day. :)

i have written some reports of the matches as well as some off the court stuff. i will post them as i have them organized.

the highlight of my own trip, however, was to be able to hit a few shots with Kim Dong Moon, it was really exciting indeed. i will post about that too... :)

i just got off the airplane back to the state, so i will need to take a little bit of rest first. hope everybody are doing fine!

2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Hey Welcome back
    Must of been really fun meeting Kim Dong Moon.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I am sure Kim/Ra beat Zhang/Gao convincingly because Kwun practiced with Kim Dong Moon. Kim was able to pick up a few tips from Kwun:D:D:D:D:D;)

4. danger man

danger man Regular Member

HOLLY!
    Rallying with Kim Dong Moon.
    Now that must be something.
    Can't wait to read your report about that. I wonder how it's like.
    He probably got some massive fakes that just freezes u up like ice.

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

We need pictures! :) I love pictures hehe. Tell us more about your trip when you can.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yah....................!!!

No wonder the Koreans won the Sudirman Cup, beating the likes of Denmark and mighty China. All because they had Kwun to coach their chief coach Kim! Now I'm not sure about Kwun's allegiance - China or South Korea???

7. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Did you take pictures of u with Kim Dong Moon

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    damn, i thought i will put him off by showing him my horrible skills..... you think that backfired? ;)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes, i have pictures, but only in the SLR so i need to have those developed and scanned. i have 5 rolls of films plus 100+ on digital. i will need to figure out a way to post them.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Amusing reports!! Did you write them on the plane?

So they do that front corner exercise for doubles players as well.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wrote some of them during the evenings, and the rest during the flight..

Gao Ling was really fast during the drills, but drills are usually pretty easy.

there are other things that they do, the coach would point to a spot and Gao had to jump to that location, trains reaction time and speed of movement...

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe.... boosted up his confidence against chinese... :D

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

It will be interesting to know what other training methods/equipment they employ to raise the player's skills and fitness level.

I was told long ago that coloured lights, switched on at random by the coach or his assistant I suppose, were used to train for reflexes, speed and recovery.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ironically, i actually think playing action video games helps with reflex...

16. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    I can vouch for this from experience and lightened pockets.

17. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

It's not ironic, back in my day we went off to play pinball ;P Actually I still think pinball is probably better since you are watching a seriously small ball and depending on the complexity of the game, it's moving really, really fast.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    From all that I have read, Kwun must have thoroughly enjoyed his trip to Eindhoven, dining first with BF member Yong, playing baddy with the latter's "gang" and with mighty Korean Lee at the Sudirman Cup venue itself, all because Janet has the presence of mind to remind Kwun to bring his badminton gear along. What a compatible companion for this historic visit!

His relentless championing of the Chinese Team until his voice went hoarse. His capturing of the "beauties in baddy garb" with both his watchful eyes and two valuable cameras, evidence of which was also "caught on camera". His meeting face-to-face with star-studded names he only read or saw on TV in the past from time to time. His enjoyment of the exciting proceedings of friends and foes in the badminton arena right up to the Finals which culminated in his beloved China matching up with S. Korea. But alas, in the climax of all climaxes, China should fail him! How ironical life could be at times!

Kwun was all drained. He is still recovering, I suppose. But memories of this delightful experience will always remain with him and remind him "Badminton is indeed a beautiful game"! Kwun deserves every moment of it, if not for anything else, it is for the hardwork and commitment that he invested in BF so that we can all share in his unselfish happiness!

May many more little treasures and pleasures await you, Kwun!

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thank Loh!

yes, it was a very good trip for me and i thoroughly enjoyed it. i think i would have been very satisfied if i were to be there and just sat down and watch the games. the extra such as meeting friends and players and playing with Kim made the trip much sweeter than i expected it to be.

janet also enjoyed the trip though she wasn't as into it as i was. i was totally engrossed in the game shouting and cheering my hearts out while i am sure she was re-thinking about the relationship with this badminton maniac.

a trip like this is something that a badminton fanatic would do, and a badminton fanatic i am! :) i hope you guys enjoy all the reports that i posted. there are more i have drafted, i will post them while i have catch up with work here.