User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nprince View Post
    But in doubles, I will be willing to risk moving front in anticipation against a habitual droper trusting my partner to cover for me. If I make it, I get an oprtunity for an easy kill. A punch clear or any other shot will be punished by my partner.
    Well then your defence will be broken and I can then playing any number of winning shots or setup for a winning shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    To yoppy - I DID join a competition (the one used for county selection) and I DID beat some of them. I gained no recognition for it... why? I don't know Like I said its probably because I was beating the lower standard players, not the higher standard players... but I have had no training like they get, have been playing less time, and would love a chance to work hard and improve. I am frustrated that I didn't get more of an opportunity to show my skills (remember, I am nervous, these guys are very good, I am not playing my best, and I am not used to the conditions and standard/pace like they are). Hopefully next time I can beat someone good, but if I can beat the lower standard players, why can't I train at their standard?

Matt
    Matt, is there another way of getting selected into the team other than playing with the county players? I am pretty sure that you can find some very good clubs near your area. By joining the club and winning league matches with them, you will expand your network. I am not sure about your county, but there exist a league hierarchy in my place where you get to play in premier league if you join one of the best teams in the county or second league if your team is weaker.Some of the players in the league are tournaments organizers and have connection to Badminton England. They could well be county coaches(or even ex-national coaches) which can possibly give you some quality training. Presumably if you played well enough, you will get noticed by them? And probably they can recommend you to the governing badminton association after seeing your potential.

I have some opportunity to play in a club which is dominant by Chinese. They play in the premier league in my county. Although some of them were not young(mid 30's -40's) but they have very fine technique which make them very challenging to play against. Some of them are ex-national players from Malaysia, now working in UK while others have experience in other badminton association back in their junior days. Some of those people are badminton fanatics and are members of Badminton England. Perhaps you could talk to them if you ever come across such clubs? Even if they can't do anything about getting you into the county team, as least they can train you to a certain level, which is probably enough to beat the kids from the first team.

Good luck
    Last edited by lcleing; 01-11-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    I wonder bbirdman, if your partner plays 2 smashes, then a slow drop (as the original poster described) should you remain at the net where you should have been - as you rightly pointed out - BEFORE your partner hits the drop, even when your opponent is coming in to play the net kill? In my opinion, thats a crap drop, and you can be excused for retreating and blaming your partner. I think you agree, no?
    IMO
    If your partner played a slow drop and opponent responded with a net kill, then its your partners error. It doesn't really matter where you stand.
    If your partner plays a slow drop and opponent responded with a net shot and you were unable to at least make contact with it then its your error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbirdman View Post
    If your partner plays a slow drop and opponent responded with a net shot and you were unable to at least make contact with it then its your error.
    Unless the opponent was coming in for a kill, and sees everyone backing up, and decides to switch to a net shot winner.

In some cases, it's always the drop player's error because their drop shot is so obviously predictable that no matter how tight they drop it, the opponent already moved up in anticipation for a kill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by urameatball View Post
    Unless the opponent was coming in for a kill, and sees everyone backing up, and decides to switch to a net shot winner.

In some cases, it's always the drop player's error because their drop shot is so obviously predictable that no matter how tight they drop it, the opponent already moved up in anticipation for a kill.
    I think of a net shot as taken level or below the net. Not seen it happen where somebody has allowed an easy tap down to travel below or level with net.
    Yet to come across a player who can net kill my well placed drop shots.

Being an habitual drop shooter so far i find its a big weakness in singles more than doubles. Must get over my phobia of clearing shots as I have more power nowadays.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iceling: thankyou for your suggestions. I play premier in Coventry, but warwickshire is not the county i was referring to. I play against county players quite regularly (Warwickshire is quite a strong county, with a lot of teams) in the league - the lower standard ones. They are consistent, but not unbeatable by any means. I hope that in the years to come I will do exactly as you have said, and prove to myself and to others that I can play some very good badminton!

bbirdman: I have to agree with urameatball. I myself, on countless occassions, have decided that I would not hurt anyone with a net kill, and played a drop instead - all because of a poor choice of shot from my opponent. However, important not to do this too often, lest I lose my taste for net kills. I do love them particularly when people try to catch me out by playing a net shot off my serve... I personally consider a net shot as played from the forecourt, to your opponents forecourt. Hence, playing the shuttle from above the net, making it land close to the net, is also considered by me to be a net shot. Probably could have been a kill, but its sometimes just not very nice :s

You must understand me though - a good dropshot, is an excellent shot of course "good" depends on the player, the opponents, the situation in the rally, the pressure... etc

Matt

p.s. I am happy for this to become a discussion about "club cultures" once again - but I feel we did a pretty good job on that earlier?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK matt I thought drop shots were different from net shots, thats confusing if you ask me. So a net shot which is taken at or above the net and doesn't have its own name? Should do its a very distinct shot in its own right. By slow drop I meant a tight shot played just over the net and played short of service line. But when I think about you can play some fast shots with that criteria
    A big lofted slow drop shot, now thats a bad idea that results in easy net kill or net drop or push drop or smash net drop or semi smash net drop push . If you partner starts shouting at you for playing a rubbish drop shot then I would say get another partner!
    Definitions confuse things.
    Good discusion. Sure if we had this conversation verbally we would find we are more in agreement than not.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bbirdman - you are right, i think the definitions are confusing us. The shot taken above the net from close to the net, is still called a net shot in my mind, even though, as you say, its played with a very different technique. The thing about a shot is like a net shot/drop shot/smash - we are describing the trajectory of the shuttle. However, each of these "shots" can be played in very very different ways! I forgot to mention, this is quite a good shot to use every so often in singles - the threat of the push/drive/net kill can sometimes make your opponent very slow to react to the actual shot played, sometimes its an outright winner.

To my mind a "slow" drop is probably the big lofted slow drop shot you described - in essence, it just takes a long time for it to reach the net, where it falls very close to the net. When you say "slow drop" I would say "tight drop" = one that lands before the service line and passed very close to the tape - it has been played with precision, but can be played reasonably quickly. This is a very good shot, if played at the right time! As you say, a fast drop shot can also meet the criteria of a "tight drop", but in general a fast drop shot is usually thought of as a kind of half smash - it is played quickly, steeply, and would not normally land before the service line (it is possible, but very unlikely).

Thanks for clearing that up!

Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow it's really off topic... in all honesty I believe any shot is effective IF it is performed correctly. Slow drop, fast drop, net kill etc etc... even if the drop shot is your go to shot, you play the right shot at the right time; your opponent can't do anything. Even if they know your "go to" shot; if you're good enough you can still outplay them with it. Can we please get back on topic? =D

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Different players, different play

Quote Originally Posted by - иεvvεи٭т -ツ View Post
    Wow it's really off topic...
    As usual, our BCers have forgotten to pay attention to our thread title.,

Reminding everyone that our thread title is: "Different clubs, different attitudes".

Lately we have been discussing "Different players, different play".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    As usual, our BCers have forgotten to pay attention to our thread title.,

Reminding everyone that our thread title is: "Different clubs, different attitudes".

Lately we have been discussing "Different players, different play".
    You are correct-This discussion is really off topic.

And to start with, the thread itself was created in the wrong forum (Techniques training), it should have been in "general discussions". And as we deviated, we were more aligned with the forum (Techniques training) and it does not hurt anybody rt? I enjoyed discussion in the whole thread-starting from "different clubs and standards", then "different players and their attitude" and "slow drops and it merits-de-merits".

NP

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Let us wait for kwun to reply

Quote Originally Posted by - иεvvεи٭т -ツ View Post
    Wow it's really off topic... in all honesty I believe any shot is effective IF it is performed correctly. Slow drop, fast drop, net kill etc etc... even if the drop shot is your go to shot, you play the right shot at the right time; your opponent can't do anything. Even if they know your "go to" shot; if you're good enough you can still outplay them with it. Can we please get back on topic? =D
    Let us wait for kwun to reply; as to why this thread is placed in our 'Techniques/Training' Sub-Forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair the last 4 posts have been people saying 'Really off topic lets get back on...' But then they do not go back on topic either.
    Going back on topic.
    Do any of your clubs have a particular hatred for juniors? Apart from the club I mentioned earlier, that I didn't get on the team because I hadn't been there as long as the older members, they do have a junior section and develop players so they aren't anit-youth. I found a local club where I was the only member under 30, their team of good players 30-40 years old wouldn't play against me even on the ladder system because I wasn't good enough. I was only allowed to play with about 5 other people, who I could easily beat, asking other juniors in the area they all found the same as me at that club. I haven't been back in years, so I'm not sure if it has changed yet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Do any of your clubs have a particular hatred for juniors?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy05 View Post
    To be fair the last 4 posts have been people saying 'Really off topic lets get back on...' But then they do not go back on topic either.
    Going back on topic.
    Do any of your clubs have a particular hatred for juniors? Apart from the club I mentioned earlier, that I didn't get on the team because I hadn't been there as long as the older members, they do have a junior section and develop players so they aren't anit-youth. I found a local club where I was the only member under 30, their team of good players 30-40 years old wouldn't play against me even on the ladder system because I wasn't good enough. I was only allowed to play with about 5 other people, who I could easily beat, asking other juniors in the area they all found the same as me at that club. I haven't been back in years, so I'm not sure if it has changed yet.
    Question: Do any of your clubs have a particular hatred for juniors?

Answer: If juniors are not welcomed, then that club is created for experienced players only. We cannot say that the club management/committee is wrong. It depends on the club's objectives.

I can see many clubs listed at BadmintonCentral not interested in new comers to Badminton. To me, this is bad because they are not interested to promote Badminton as a sport for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    I can see many clubs listed at BadmintonCentral not interested in new comers to Badminton. To me, this is bad because they are not interested to promote Badminton as a sport for everyone.
    It's actually pretty good for clubs to segregate between age groups and experience levels. Where I live, the city of Toronto specifies different time slots for different age groups for all sports at their community centres. It works really well, kids who wanna goof around have their time, experienced players who want serious court time will have another time slot. There are also family sessions for parents with kids, and all-ages sessions as well. I've noticed there's less participation in all ages sessions, whereas age specific sessions are ALWAYS packed.

So if you're talking about promoting the sport, having dedicated clubs/time-slots for different age groups might be more of a solution than a problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow It's actually pretty good for clubs to segregate between age groups

Quote Originally Posted by urameatball View Post
    It's actually pretty good for clubs to segregate between age groups and experience levels. Where I live, the city of Toronto specifies different time slots for different age groups for all sports at their community centres. It works really well, kids who wanna goof around have their time, experienced players who want serious court time will have another time slot. There are also family sessions for parents with kids, and all-ages sessions as well. I've noticed there's less participation in all ages sessions, whereas age specific sessions are ALWAYS packed.

So if you're talking about promoting the sport, having dedicated clubs/time-slots for different age groups might be more of a solution than a problem.
    Not to disagree with your opinion. However, when things like this happen, newer players to Badminton will not understand what 'good' Badminton is all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue I have is that you cannot say just because somebody is under 10 they are not good enough to play against somebody who is 40+. It should be based on skill not ages.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast