Lenny Permana

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Mar 25, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when i was watching the Sudirman Cup, a lady was sitting next to me. she was Oooing and Ahhing when she watched the Denmark vs. Korea. i started talking to her and asked if she plays badminton. she says she plays for the Australian team but originally from Indonesia, so we were chatting a little a little bit asking her about her training and stuff. turns out she went to Australia to study IT (she was wearing a RMIT sweater -- Royal Melborne Institute of Technology). i asked her how she did in her matches and she says she won all her matches. pretty good.

but little did i know, she was actually the top Australia WS player and the top seed for the Commonwealth Games 2002... Lenny Permana

2. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Lenny's cool

You should have asked her for a game, she probably would've said yes. Actually playing against Lenny's fun, however whilst I don't mind struggling against girls who are taller and stronger than I am, I really dislike being beat by a girl who is smaller, slender and smiling all the time ;) (I blame it on me having a bad day ;P, actually it was a bad day for a lot of us guys since she ended up winning that tournament beating a guy who was on one of the Malaysian state teams)

She probably understated her skills, she was Indo junior champ before she came here, her skills have degraded a fair bit given that she doesn't train nearly as much as she used to, and lack of competition in the female ranks which is why she plays against the guys all the time.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. she did mentioned that she left Indonesia in around 1999. i asked if she were in the team as Susi and she said she was only a junior then. she was pretty humble throughout our chat.

if you do happen to see her again, please tell her the guy who sat next to her during the Denmark/Korea semi says hi. i was going to invite her to come to BF, but with all the excitement of the competition i completely forgot, may be you can invite her for me... :)

4. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    try finding her email and email her

5. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    I know her quite well. Don't you think that she is quite attractive both in appearance and personality. She is very nice girl indeed.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can check this photo

That is just after playing the shuttle, The body position of having turned the hips with the right leg forward is excellent. One can imagine with the the follow through that the right shoulder will go further forward. Thus the centre of balance will be towards the forecourt.

That's a great pic by Raphael

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hehe.

please say hi to her if you do bump into her. thanks!

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... somehow, she looks more like a Japanese girl to me in the pic... :rolleyes:

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    SJoe,
    Why don't you invite her to visit BF? Maybe if she's willing, be part of the pro-player forum. :D

10. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    I have invited her. Hope she will be on board soon.

11. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    It would be so great if she can join us on board. BF will then have so many professional/semi professionals players from various countries, like Lenny, JR, Eva, Tezta.com, and Matt Ross who can share their international playing experience with us :).

12. Talkingtaco2

Talkingtaco2 Regular Member

Lenny has coached me at BAV before :D I'd be happy to give her a shout out from you.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Like many overseas Asian students in Australia, Lenny Permana from Indonesia, has contributed much for Badminton in Melbourne. We were lucky that she accepted the invitation to represent Australia in Womens Singles while studying here.

Talking about Indonesians who accepted invitation to represent Australia while studying here, I am reminded of Rio Suryana. He came to study in Melbourne about 4 years before Lenny. Rio was only a high school student, yet he played for Australia in Mens Singles. If I remember correctly, Rio was ranked by BWF (known as IBF back then) as high as World No.23 in the Mens Singles. And he was not even intending to be a full-time Badminton player.

It was great for many Melburnians who have enjoyed playing against them both. For they would turn up to play socially at various Badminton clubs all over Melbourne.

Today, I still see Lenny in Melbourne. She has decided to remain in Melbourne; she got married and has a baby now. She is still involved in Badminton, mainly doing coaching for school children. But I haven't seen Rio for some time now (about 7 years). Probably he has returned back to Indonesia, getting involved in managing his family business.